New COL Game Night Game?
Welcome, Guest.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." -Benjamin Franklin

Author Topic: New COL Game Night Game?  (Read 3053 times)

Offline Deckard Cain

• The wonderful wizard of Trisquel
  • Staff Member
  • Stay a while, and *nix!
New COL Game Night Game?
« on: December 19, 2014, 09:41:52 PM »
Hello Everyone;

As I've mentioned before, I'm a BIG fan on RTS games. As such, I feel it right to start off the COL Game Night playing an RTS game.

Each match will be played AFTER Star Conflict which is every Saturday evening at 8PM ETS UTC-5

The game I've chosen is 0AD. It's an RTS game based off of Age of empires 2, which is one of the most famous RTS games. Below is a link to both games, check out the links, if you would like to have a match submit you're vote in the poll!

0AD's youtube page
Age of empires Wikipedia
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 09:54:00 PM by Deckard Cain »
Stay a while, and *nix!

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
Re: New COL Game Night Game?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2014, 09:46:41 PM »
At what time? in NEW YORK time???
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!

Offline Deckard Cain

• Staff Member
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2014, 09:52:13 PM »
What I've decided is that we should do game night AFTER Star Conflict. That way we can play as long as everyone would like to and I don't mind staying up for some hours playing ;)
Stay a while, and *nix!

Offline Ben

• Resident WIZARD
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2014, 09:55:18 PM »
I love 0 A.D., I'd be up for this.  I'm not sure how stable the online is now, it was still a work in progress when I tried it with a friend about a year ago (but it has supposedly improved a lot since then).  It might not be a bad idea to do a test run before making it an official game night.

Offline Deckard Cain

• Staff Member
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2014, 09:57:19 PM »
I do A LOT of LAN parties, some of which end up being over the internet and as far as I've seen the internet based multiplayer of this game is perfect. I'd love to make this a game that we all play because its hands down my favourite game right now.

FOR ALL THOSE THAT READ THIS, be sure to vote so I know that this is something worth while!
Stay a while, and *nix!

Offline JayVii

• Contributor
    • JayVii's Page
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2014, 05:15:53 AM »
There's one problem with 0 A.D. And that's why I hesitated to make a gamenight with it in the past:

The more units are moving on the map, the worse performance gets.you can already see performance drop below 20 when having a relatively large army in singleplayer. now imagine it in multiplayer :D
Anyway, last time i tested it was in Alpha 15 or so and they improve performance with every patch, so it might work by now.

Offline Deckard Cain

• Staff Member
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2014, 08:56:25 AM »
Performance has vastly improved, and I know EXACTLY what you're talking about. Nowadays with 0AD if you just set a popcap instead of unlimited you won't experience lag.
Stay a while, and *nix!