Configure ssd & hdd
Welcome, Guest.
“Theory and practice sometimes clash. And when that happens, theory loses. Every single time.” ― Linus Torvalds

Author Topic: Configure ssd & hdd  (Read 2422 times)

Offline Davison

Configure ssd & hdd
« on: December 14, 2014, 10:05:41 PM »
How do you configure a ssd for os & a hdd for storage in Linux Mint 17

Offline farevildee

• Tyrannical Rule Enforcer
  • Staff Member
  • Linux is learning and freedom
Re: Configure ssd & hdd
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2014, 10:29:50 PM »
you do it by setting up partitions manually by setting root too ssd partition and home as hdd partition
Friends don't let friends use WIndows or Mac OS.

Offline Davison

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2014, 04:53:17 AM »
Hi, thanks for your reply, I'm fairly new to Linux so would it be possible  
to give more detail.      cheers.

Offline farevildee

• Tyrannical Rule Enforcer
  • Staff Member
  • Linux is learning and freedom
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2014, 01:07:32 PM »
yea if i cant someone else on here could explain it better but im typing this during lunch and need to get back to work
Friends don't let friends use WIndows or Mac OS.

Offline lcRONOS

• I will run all the Operating Systems!
  • Staff Member
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2014, 05:08:26 PM »
So first you need to know what the Linux designation is for each.  I only have an HDD, so I can't say for sure, but I'd assume that the SSD would be named /dev/sda and the HDD would be /dev/sdb.  Load gparted on a liveusb, it's a part of the installation of Linux Mint.  From there it's up to how you want to set up.  If it is a UEFI system then you want to have three partitions, one should be ~258MB formatted as FAT, that would be your ESP which is used for boot (I'm not 100% on how to set it up from scratch, so maybe someone with more experience can chime in).  The second one should be 2x the size of your RAM and make it swap.  The final one (I recommend) should be ext4 and mounted as / so that all files used for boot are on the SSD.  The HDD should be ext4 and mounted as /home well that's how I would do it.  It's a little more involved, so I'd check around the Linux Mint forums and Ubuntu forums as well.  Also the Arch and Gentoo wikis may have some guides, though as they are different bases the guides won't work perfectly for you.  Most of your files will be installed to /home, if you're up to some extra work you can also mount /usr as a separate partition on the HDD however it is a little harder in Linux than on any of the *BSDs or OS X, but the payoff is almost everything you install goes on your HDD and not your SSD.
Laptop: HP Pavilion 15t, quadboot Obarun Linux, macOS 10.13, TrueOS, Windows 10
Desktop: Dell Inspiron 660, dualboot Artix Linux,Windows 1