Spatry's NEW Chatroom VS #Spatry on IRC
Welcome, Guest.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." -Benjamin Franklin

Poll

Which method of interaction do you find preferable for this community?

I prefer the IRC Chatroom
1 (6.3%)
I Prefer the NEW Forum Chatroom
5 (31.3%)
Keep BOTH IRC and the NEW chatroom.
10 (62.5%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Author Topic: Spatry's NEW Chatroom VS #Spatry on IRC  (Read 7207 times)

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
Spatry's NEW Chatroom VS #Spatry on IRC
« on: March 18, 2014, 12:46:10 AM »
I made a commitment to the members of this community to seek out an answer to the troll problem on IRC. As many of you know the bullying situation is getting way out of HAND! After a few days of hard work I have come up with what I believe to be a plausible solution. We now have integrated chat software which will permit MEMBERS of this website to be able to interact without the worry of dealing with social miscreants.

Please think about your answer before voting. I am considering the permanent closure of #spatry on freenode IRC in favor of this NEW chat platform which me and my staff will have full control over.

NOTE: This website no longer has the IRC registration tutorial video on the front page. This is to encourage NEW members of this community to use the NEW chat platform.

Please SHARE your views in the space below. Thank you!
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 06:49:37 PM by Spatry »
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!

Offline drum

• Spatry's IRON FIST!
  • Contributor
  • the Spamhammer
    • linux-mania
Re: Spatry's NEW Chatroom VS #Spatry on IRC
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2014, 03:45:40 AM »
I think to avoid the troll problem this is the way to go, when your'e not a member of the forum you are not on the chat, that sounds good
The "Penguin" has arrived - and he's not going away - ever.
It's not the software that's free; it's you.
"It does what I expect of it, when I expect it - otherwise, stays out of my way." http://i61.tinypic.com/2emgzrp.jpg

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2014, 04:43:47 AM »
All moderators NOW get OPERATOR privileges without having to "/identify password". The chat software now will detect you and upgrade your status on signing into chat.

Offline Mel2012

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2014, 08:15:03 AM »
Personally I think you should keep both the IRC #spatry chatroom on the Freenode chat-server, and the shoutbox-replacement [chat-room] here. But that's just me :P . To each his/her own :)

Offline computerkid9

• I do not obey RULES!
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2014, 10:16:02 AM »
I think having them both is also good.IRC has more people to chat with but trolls can get into your channel.On the other hand,the forum chat has less people but you have full control of it.They each have certain advantages and disadvantages so that's why I think having both the forum chat and IRC is a good idea.
Mario Uribe,
Member of Cup of Linux and the Linux Distro Community
A Current user of Manjaro 0.8.9

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2014, 07:03:48 PM »
As of late, it appears we have more people chatting on the NEW platform rather than #spatry on IRC. This also helps in the decision making process. If I decide to KEEP the IRC channel. I may consider removing all restrictions on the channel (since TROLLS are still able to annoy people anyway) and whenever objectionable language is used, we van have DirtyHelga to echo something like...

"If miscreants are disrupting your enjoyment on this channel, please use our NEW chatroom at www.cupoflinux.com/SBB/chat/ There you can enjoy conversation without the worry of being harassed!"

What do you guys think of that???

Offline computerkid9

• I do not obey RULES!
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2014, 08:34:04 PM »
I think that would be a really good idea because then lots more people will come in the chatroom and they won't get annoyed by trolls AT ALL!
Mario Uribe,
Member of Cup of Linux and the Linux Distro Community
A Current user of Manjaro 0.8.9

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2014, 06:39:01 AM »
Based on your votes, the IRC chat will remain OPEN. I have implemented the following changes.

1. ANYONE may now enter IRC #spatry on Freenode and all BANS on web clients have been removed.

2. A NEW chanserv announcement displays when the user logs in -
If miscreants are disrupting your enjoyment on this channel, please use our NEW chatroom at www.cupoflinux.com/SBB/chat/ There you can enjoy conversation without the worry of being harassed! You can also use the +R feature to ignore messages by issuing the following command /mode yournickname +R

3. Users on IRC can drop the HAMMER! by invoking " !hammer ", Dirty Helga will echo the chanserv entry message.

Since TROLLS have the ability to bypass IRC protections I decided to REMOVE them completely. Troll attacks will encourage people to use the NEW chatroom instead.

Offline tuxhat

• TuxHat Developer
  • The Prestigious TURD Club
    • Tux Hat Linux Distro - What you see, is what you get!
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2015, 08:18:22 AM »
I know this topic is old, and I just want to add something related to the trolls on IRC.  I have a IRC on freenode for a few years now, and I can understand the trolls on there.  I had many problems with irc freenode, and it came down to the irc staff on freenode to k-lined a few users and they been also ddosing freenode as I notice a lot of net splits lately and last year.

The New chat system on cupoflinux, is a very good idea, as last night talking in there was a very neat, calm clean and all about computer talk, and I like this as it is a group with mature people, that like to talk about what is the main idea on this Community and website, and that is Open Source Systems.
To me I like it a lot  I think it's a good move on Spatry, as I know how it is with the madness of trolls online in general.
Nice that you are trying your bestest to make a nice and friendly chat.  That is why I always respected you for that Spat.
Umm if this is to late to post something on here just remove it, and tell me if this is not allowed to reply to as i'm not so sure.  I don't want to break any rules.
-Gary
UNIX is basically a simple operating system, but you have to be a genius to understand the simplicity. -Dennis Ritchie