A few suggestions
Welcome, Guest.
“Theory and practice sometimes clash. And when that happens, theory loses. Every single time.” ― Linus Torvalds

Author Topic: A few suggestions  (Read 2316 times)

Offline smudgey

A few suggestions
« on: November 19, 2014, 02:36:04 PM »
I've just installed the Cup of Linux edition and I have a few suggestions for the next release. The overall software selection is fine but I think Teamviewer should be included by default or a script to download it should be provided. I had trouble installing it myself and had to Google it where as in Ubuntu and Debian I just got a simple deb file from the website and was good to go. I think Octopi should be included by default as well. My only other suggestions would to maybe not have FireFox loaded up with all those plugins by default. It's fine for a user like myself as I know how to remove them myself if I need too but for a new user who isn't tech savvy. The browser should be left as default with maybe a ad blocker installed only. Also to cut back on the iso size. Maybe Kdenlive shouldn't be included by default either since that pulls a lot of the KDE desktop in as dependancies. Maybe some scripts for downloading simple software like Google Chrome should be provided like it is in Linux Lite. Overall besides that, I'm pleased with the system.

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
Re: A few suggestions
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2014, 02:58:39 PM »
I do not believe teamviewer can be bundled with mCOLe legally. You can install it with:
Code: [Select]
yaourt teamviewermCOLe is supported through google adsesnse in the custom searches. If I include an ad blocker, the non-invasive text ads do not display. The look and feel was well thought out, if you do not like it, you can delete the ".mozilla" folder in your home directory.

Everyone knows my favorite video editor is Kdenlive. It does not require as many dependencies as you might think. mCOLe is built from the XFCE overlay set, not the net install. So mCOLe has a lot of software found in the original Manjaro XFCE.

I have a video where I compared Octopi and PAMAC. I found pamac to be a better choice so I decided to keep it in my release. Personally, I do not have need to use Pamac any longer as I do everything through the terminal myself.

The original idea behind mCOLe is to create a re-spin of Manjaro "as I use it myself". This was a request from my viewers.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 03:05:59 PM by Spatry »
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!

Offline smudgey

Re: A few suggestions
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2014, 03:07:29 PM »
I figured out how to install Teamviewer after a quick google search. I know Kdenlive was included for that reason and I always install myself usually along with kolorpaint4 and K3B. I just thought it may have downloaded all of the same KDE dependancies as it did in Ubuntu/Debian. I'm actually fine with having it there. I was just looking at the ISO size and suggesting a way to decrease as it is a bit bigger than the Manjaro XFCE iso I have and was a pain to download on my slow connection. A torrent would've been nice. I didn't actually think of that cupoflinux search but couldn't you have whitelisted it in the blocker's settings?