INTERNET SECURITY: VPN's and Net Neutrality
Welcome, Guest.
"When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty." -Thomas Jefferson

Author Topic: INTERNET SECURITY: VPN's and Net Neutrality  (Read 9878 times)

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
INTERNET SECURITY: VPN's and Net Neutrality
« on: November 16, 2014, 06:44:49 AM »
I have composed an article on the Cup of Linux WIKI regarding Net Neutrality and using a Virtual Private Network (VPN). You can access the article HERE and you can post any comments related to the article by responding to this post.

If Net neutrality is defeated, using a VPN (Virtual Private Network) will be your only tool to circumvent bandwidth shaping by your ISP. There is too much potential for abuse. What is to stop Microsoft from paying Comcast to slow down or even BLOCK it's competitors? What if your favorite Linux news sources become inaccessible? Imagine that your favorite YouTube channel is no longer viewable in high definition. This may become an unpalatable truth for us all!

Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!

Offline lcRONOS

• I will run all the Operating Systems!
  • Staff Member
Re: VPN's and Net Neutrality
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2014, 11:07:19 AM »
Great article Spatry.  This shows a strong argument for using a VPN service rather than setting one up on a home server with OpenVPN.  Hopefully the Net Neutrality passes, but if it fails I'll probably start using a service like this.  I don't at the moment because my major concern is being hacked while using public wifi, and you can get around that with OpenVPN.
Laptop: HP Pavilion 15t, quadboot Obarun Linux, macOS 10.13, TrueOS, Windows 10
Desktop: Dell Inspiron 660, dualboot Artix Linux,Windows 1

Offline HannahLodge

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2014, 07:37:19 PM »
Good article Spat. Big fan of VPN's and of privateinternetaccess. I was probably the first or one of the first on the forum to use and post about it.  Ok, so here is my humble take on all this. Its a fine line once the Govt starts calling all the shots.  My god thats what got Cable companys as powerful as they are now, they were and still are allowed to run rampant. What other comodity can you purchase that after purchase the seller still controls.  I mean like I buy access at a certin speed, just give me what I pay for thats all I ask.  Anyone that thinks the Govt is going to save us from the evil ISP and Com companys is delusional at best. One other thing, I love my VPN as much as anyone but everyday I see more and more blocking of VPN servers and I'm not talking bit torrent sites.  News sites, bloggs, you name it. VPN hit lists are in vogue with web sites that cant live unless they track your data.  So I guess no matter what we are at the mercy of Govt rules and kickbacks. As always they ride in on the white horse and in the end they leave with the horse for sale at 3 bucks a pound:) Everyone have a great day.  Hannah Lodge

Offline Crimson

• Contributor
  • Defeating a sandwich only makes it tastier.
    • «FC» FunHouse Clan
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2014, 09:49:30 PM »
Geez man, I am getting so sick of these battles over the internet, worrying if my freedom is going to be taken away. It seems like every year or so there's something jeopardising our right to free information. I've said it before and I'll say it again, we are in DIRE need for a 2nd civil war here in the states. I understand that no matter where you go, there's corruption, but it just seems like we've got the worst of it. I digress, hopefully this doesn't fly.
Custom Linux PC AMD Ryzen 5 1600 Radeon™ RX 5700 XT 32GB DDR4 1TB M.2 NVMe 4TB Storage

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2014, 10:05:10 PM »
we are in DIRE need for a 2nd civil war here in the states.
"A riot is an ugly thing... undt, I tink, that it is chust about time ve had vun." Inspector Kemp - Young Frankenstein
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!

Offline Crimson

• Contributor
  • Defeating a sandwich only makes it tastier.
    • «FC» FunHouse Clan
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2014, 12:31:09 AM »
lol, spat. Nice quote.

Seriously though, I feel we really need to make a stand against all the injustices that are going on. Too many to count. Too many people being incarcerated for things that should be considered petty offenses at best. Too many big wigs getting away with big crimes. It's really getting to the point where I'm no longer proud to say I'm American anymore. I mean, this video really says it all about how I feel...

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=485015298234731
Custom Linux PC AMD Ryzen 5 1600 Radeon™ RX 5700 XT 32GB DDR4 1TB M.2 NVMe 4TB Storage

Offline superkai64

• URCHIN
Re: INTERNET SECURITY: VPN's and Net Neutrality
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2014, 12:17:33 PM »
Breaking News
H R 4681 is about too be passed
newbielink:https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/protect-our-privacy-and-please-veto-hr-4681-aka-intelligence-authorization-act-fiscal-year-2015/lln5hN5c [nonactive]
newbielink:https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/113/hr4681 [nonactive]

Offline Jim

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2014, 01:44:14 PM »
VPN providers can be and probably are cooped by their country's governments.  Governments want the ability to keep secrets for themselves and only for themselves.  Citizens are not and never have been trusted.  Governments spy on us because they can.
The Myth of Male Power by Warren Farrell

Offline lcRONOS

• I will run all the Operating Systems!
  • Staff Member
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2014, 11:55:19 PM »
I fear that it is getting to be too late for the US in that regard.  I hate to be all doom and gloom, but the US government has been overstepping it's bounds for a long time.  And while Obama has been the one to receive all the blame, it's not entirely all fair as it's been going on for decades.  Obama was just the first one to get caught.  It's the hazards of being a large nation, the larger the nation the larger the government needed to keep it intact.  Rome, Persia, Spain, France, Great Britain, Macedonia, the Aztecs, the USSR, etc. they all show this trend.  I'm interested to see how all this plays out in the SCOTUS as if you treat electronic property like physical property, then the US government is eventually going to do this to the wrong person and get sued.  I'm not sure how long before, or how long it'd matter, but it's bound to happen so long as the constitution is still actually enforced...
Laptop: HP Pavilion 15t, quadboot Obarun Linux, macOS 10.13, TrueOS, Windows 10
Desktop: Dell Inspiron 660, dualboot Artix Linux,Windows 1

Offline 3DAlvin

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2015, 03:02:04 PM »
Usually when government gets involved it turns out to be a disaster. They kept the details a secret for weeks. "suspicious". Can they now try to tax it to death? Net Neutrality? For a government who unlawfully spies on its law abiding citizens!

Offline Ironclaw

• Terminal Multiplexer
  • Staff Member
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2015, 03:51:50 PM »
The sad thing is, the constitution is not enforced very well.  Usually it seems that it is being ignored else the federal government would be a lot smaller due to the tenth amendment.  I figure the 2nd revolution will happen at about the time the government decides to try to disarm us, then a lot of people will end up getting killed because someone acted to defend themselves and their rights.
If you must persist, I will be forced to tar you, then gzip you and finally umount you.

Offline Jim

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2015, 02:20:12 PM »
Our privacy is slowly disappearing.
Baby factorys are pushing out babies faster than the death rate.
We are getting more and more crowded.

Being anonymous now is nearly impossible.
USA is very big, but is getting terribly crowded.
I've lived over 14 years in Germany, Denmark, and Japan,
where it was more crowded and citizens were more controlled by government.
I treasure VPNs as a small means of acquiring some privacy.
The Myth of Male Power by Warren Farrell

Offline glsmaxx

• Old Dog Learnin' New Tricks
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2015, 04:04:35 PM »
n for this to be an attack or anything negative towards the folks who posted on this thread.

I just wonder why people think VPNs could possibly be safe. I mean sometimes those that hide their communications are the very ones that have a reason to hide. I know that this is not always the case. Some, like me, just long for the days when the US Constitution actually meant something. The whole state of affair sickens me. Back to the VPNs, isn't it just wishful thinking to the VPNs are actually protecting users?I understand that the powers that be can ask for and must be given anything that could be supposedly unlawful. Talk about a wide brush stroke. Just because they say it is possibly harmful doesn't make it so. With the deck stacked the way it is though all they have to do is say so and probable cause all of a sudden is created. VPNs just have it ll ready for them. All in order and packaged up. Who is to say some of the VPNs aren't just wolves in sheep's clothing? With the deception of today a "VPN" might just be a tool used by our government to quietly monitor everything going through a "VPN".

That's enough said. I am more than sure you all get the point I am making. Again, I am not trying to attack the services nor the users in any way. I would be the first to use one if I thought I was wrong. I would really like to be wrong. For the time being I will leave my tinfoil hat on and wish things were not as they are.

Good Day
Running Manjaro-XFCE  &  Arch-XFCE
           Are There Any Others?

Offline r4nd0m c4n4d14n

• Certified ethical hacker certificates to prove
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2019, 10:55:17 PM »
I use a custom build drive when I'm desire anonymous presence. Tails is a wonderful option!
r4nd0m c4n4d14n