Brian's Mint MATE Remix (64-Bit)
Welcome, Guest.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." -Benjamin Franklin

Author Topic: Brian's Mint MATE Remix (64-Bit)  (Read 4126 times)

Offline Brian

• Spatry's Troll HAMMER
  • Contributor
Brian's Mint MATE Remix (64-Bit)
« on: November 11, 2014, 09:46:09 AM »

Good morning and happy Veteran's Day to those of you who have served. I am happy to announce that Brian's Mint MATE Remix (64 Bit) is ready for downloading and testing.

BMMR-64 is basically Linux Mint 17 MATE Edition with the customized artwork found in BHUMR-C chosen by me and a lot what I consider "bloatware" removed. Google Chrome is the default web browser, qbittorrent is the bit torrent client, amd Mumble VOIP is also included. In the home folder you will also find MenuX, a bash script written by our own community member "The Seeker" which automates the installation of several other popular Linux programs.

Downloads: bmmr_64.iso bmmr_64.iso.md5
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 11:45:00 AM by Brian »
"No matter where you go, there you are." - Buckaroo Banzai
"People sleep peacably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
Re: Brian's Mint MATE Remix (64-Bit)
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2014, 12:53:00 PM »
You have been a busy little bee lately. Kudos.
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!

Offline dathem

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2014, 04:03:25 AM »
Brian, I think I am in Heaven! I have to say I didn't have high hopes for this remix since I always had trouble getting Mint 17 to install when it first came out. Well this not only booted up from the DVD to the desktop without issue it installed happily as a dual boot with your BHUMR-C remix. I was able to get my favorite apps all installed plus I got my Compiz eye candy fully working. The only issue I seen so far is that after installing my proprietary Nvidia driver the fancy Plymouth went away and defaulted to Linux Mint 17 with the blinking green dots. But this boots up so fast I only see that for a few seconds anyway. I am pretty sure I am in Heaven now.  Thanks for your great efforts!! dathem

Offline Brian

• Spatry's Troll HAMMER
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2014, 08:42:33 AM »
Datham,
To get the pretty splash screen back, open up your terminal and type
Code: [Select]
sudo pluma /etc/default/grubFind the line that says
#GRUB_GFXMODE=640x480
And change it to
GRUB_GFXMODE=800x600
Under that line, insert the following
GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=keep
Save and close the file then run
sudo update-grub
Next time you reboot, you'll have your leafy splash back!
"No matter where you go, there you are." - Buckaroo Banzai
"People sleep peacably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Offline dathem

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2014, 11:33:08 AM »
Brian, just ran that code and all is well, I now have the fancy Plymouth back. Thanks!  dathem

Offline dathem

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2014, 12:10:26 PM »
Brian, I have been using this remix and trying out different things and so far it seems very stable. I have added a few more themes and added some items to the panel with out issue. I can see myself using this as my daily desktop. It is very fast, so fast at times I have to do a double take to see if anything really happened! I plan to take this to show my buddy, who got me into Linux many years ago!!  More later,  dathem