ANNOUNCEMENT- Brian's Hybid Ubuntu/Mint Remix - Cinnamon (BHUMR-C) Ready
Welcome, Guest.
"When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty." -Thomas Jefferson

Author Topic: ANNOUNCEMENT- Brian's Hybid Ubuntu/Mint Remix - Cinnamon (BHUMR-C) Ready  (Read 11237 times)

Offline dathem

• Contributor
Cool. Hope it works out for you. Thanks for giving it a try.

Brian, This remix of yours is awesome installed on a Dell Vostro 200, it has been upgraded to 4 gigs ram and a midgrade Nvidia card with a 250 gig SSD. Otherwise it is a dual core running at 2.5Ghz. The only issue I had was at the end of the installation where the computer spit out the DVD disk and then hung at a terminal like window. Had to power off the computer and then restart the computer. It boots up so fast I never see the Plymouth end with the Linux Mint leaf all joined together! With this install I needed to add a few other Apps; Clementine music player, Firefox, Hplip toolkit, ProjectM, Gimp, Pinta, K3b. I also added a few Desklets and Applets and downloaded some additional themes. This is the first Distro that has all of the sound effects working on this computer! I like eye candy and there is some settings to play with, which I have. I wonder if is it possible that I can install the Kwin effects without causing any issues? More later dathem

Offline Brian

• Spatry's Troll HAMMER
  • Contributor
Brian, This remix of yours is awesome installed on a Dell Vostro 200, it has been upgraded to 4 gigs ram and a midgrade Nvidia card with a 250 gig SSD. Otherwise it is a dual core running at 2.5Ghz. The only issue I had was at the end of the installation where the computer spit out the DVD disk and then hung at a terminal like window. Had to power off the computer and then restart the computer. It boots up so fast I never see the Plymouth end with the Linux Mint leaf all joined together! With this install I needed to add a few other Apps; Clementine music player, Firefox, Hplip toolkit, ProjectM, Gimp, Pinta, K3b. I also added a few Desklets and Applets and downloaded some additional themes. This is the first Distro that has all of the sound effects working on this computer! I like eye candy and there is some settings to play with, which I have. I wonder if is it possible that I can install the Kwin effects without causing any issues? More later dathem

What KWin type effects exist are already enabled by default. Cinnamon extensions enable coverflow effect and cube, but I don't think those have been ported to Cinnamon 2.4 yet. As far as I know, it is not possible to use a window manager other than Muffin with Cinnamon
"No matter where you go, there you are." - Buckaroo Banzai
"People sleep peacably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Offline dathem

• Contributor
What KWin type effects exist are already enabled by default. Cinnamon extensions enable coverflow effect and cube, but I don't think those have been ported to Cinnamon 2.4 yet. As far as I know, it is not possible to use a window manager other than Muffin with Cinnamon
Brian, I seen the cube, wobbly windows and I tried them but they didn't work, so now I know why. I can live without them but those two effects are part of the main reason I got into linux, many years ago and I miss them. I tried out elive Distro and they have the ecomorph (can't remember how it is spelled at the moment) enabled and it works well, but there are a number of issues within elive that I just can't get use too.

So far anyway, your remix will be my Distro of choice!!! I have it installed on 2 computers that I use all the time.

Thanks for your efforts, I have several computers to use for trying out Distro's. I haven't been able to get Mint 17 to install on my computers, will try out your remix to see if that will install soon.

dathem

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
Re: ANNOUNCEMENT- Brian's Hybid Ubuntu/Mint Remix - Cinnamon (BHUMR-C) Ready
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2014, 04:27:13 PM »
Compiz is not compatible with the Cinnamon desktop and I have not tested KWIN with it. If you really want to have the eye candy, you are better off running XFCE or MATE. Then you can use Compiz or Kwin for desktop effects. I am with you on this one, dathem... Beryl (now compiz) made Linux very attractive to me as a viable alternative to Windows.
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!