ANNOUNCEMENT- Brian's Hybid Ubuntu/Mint Remix - Cinnamon (BHUMR-C) Ready
Welcome, Guest.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." -Benjamin Franklin

Author Topic: ANNOUNCEMENT- Brian's Hybid Ubuntu/Mint Remix - Cinnamon (BHUMR-C) Ready  (Read 10935 times)

Offline Brian

• Spatry's Troll HAMMER
  • Contributor

I know what you're thinking, "Just what the world needs, yet another 'buntu spin," while you're rolling your eyes. You may have a point but I like to think that I'm a creative guy, and I put some thought into this. I wanted a more or less stripped down 'buntu with only the stuff I wanted, and nothing I didn't. I also like some of the stuff that makes Mint a really awesome OS. So, I built BHUMR-C.

WHAT IS IT, ANYWAY?

Like the name says, it's an Ubuntu/Mint hybrid that uses the latest Cinnamon Desktop environment. The base system is Ubuntu 14.04.1 from the mini/net install .iso. The DE is Cinnamon 2.3 from the nightly build PPA. It stays fresh using the Mint Update tool and includes both Ubuntu and Linux Mint software repos. I also included the Mint artwork, and the Mint Stick USB utilities.
WHAT PACKAGES DOES IT INCLUDE?
BHUMR-C comes with Google Chrome Web Browser, VLC Media Player, Mumble VOIP, and LibreOffice Office Suite. Under the hood you'll find the entire Samba networking stack, so your BHUMR-C computer will be ready to work on a Windows network. Anything else you might need is easily installed through the Synaptic Package Manager or the Ubuntu Software Center. Multimedia codecs are included as well. It also has Remastersys if you want to roll your own spin.
WHAT DOES IT LOOK LIKE?

Splash Screen

Splash Screen 2

Desktop (On a dual screen monitor)

LOOKS GOOD, HOW DO I GET IT?

You can download the ISO from my Google Drive share here and md5 hash. Make sure you check the hash before you burn the ISO. This is not a hybrid ISO, so it won't work if you use dd or the Mintstick GUI tool to burn it to a USB. You'll need to use Unetbootin or the Ubuntu Startup Disk creator if you want to use a USB. Also be aware that some USBs work better than others. If you get an error like I got here, try another USB or disk. The live session user name is "bubba" and there is no password.

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS

BHUMR-C is 64 Bit only. It was built on a machine with a 2.2 GHz dual core processor with 2 GB of system RAM, so there's your minimum requirements. I'd recommend at least 4 GB for smoother operation.

FEEDBACK

Message me here to let me know what you think. Note: I am not a programmer, package maintainer, or a developer... I simply mix together packages that others have built into what I hope is an attractive, usable system. If you encounter any bugs, please report them to the appropriate package maintainer.

UDATE---

I have updated the ISO so it's now hybrid, you can use dd or the Mint USB Image Writer to burn it to a USB and it will boot. Hybrid ISO MD5 Hash

UPDATE 2 (10 NOV)

I have posted a new build of BHUMR-C that includes Shutter for screen captures, qbittorrent bit torrent client, and Viewnior image viewer. This is a hybrid iso that can be written to a usb with the dd command. Download links: bhumrc_build2.iso bhumrc_build2.iso.md5
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 10:48:12 AM by Brian »
"No matter where you go, there you are." - Buckaroo Banzai
"People sleep peacably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
You finally did it... Cool deal....
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!

Offline ben (gentoo/linux) fitzpatrick

• mCOLe Maintainer & Dirty Helga's Apprentice
  • Staff Member
  • Mr. Arch Linux
Re: ANNOUNCEMENT- Brian's Hybid Ubuntu/Mint Remix - Cinnamon (BHUMR-C) Ready
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2014, 10:28:58 AM »
good work brian. Yet I don't feel this is the distro for me. I will stick with gentoo and other source based distributions. I like what I see though..
the Arch man

Offline fishmanluvslinux

• Spatry's Biggest Lunatic!
  • Contributor
  • People Are More Important Than Software!
    • Fishman Loves Linux
Brian, I am really excited to see what you have done and experience it for myself. I know it is a lot of hard work involved so I truly can appreciate your effort. Keep up the great work my friend! :D

I finally got this installed in vbox and it works really well. I am boning up to make a review. Thanks Brian for your help as well. ;)
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 02:10:44 PM by fishmanluvslinux »
" I LOVE IT WHEN A PLAN COMES TOGETHER" - HANNIBAL SMITH-THE A-TEAM (1983-1987)

Offline kb63

Hi ok tried the mints tryer  the bunts  and as  last found a disrto that works for me out the box and is now up and running  and making a old man in uk happy at last to be on linux at last  welldone Brian  
 and as pc not worlds best and getting bit old now and going like new one hp slimline dual with 3 gig ram  and it love this  o/s  so ty again

Offline Brian

• Spatry's Troll HAMMER
  • Contributor
Hi ok tried the mints tryer  the bunts  and as  last found a disrto that works for me out the box and is now up and running  and making a old man in uk happy at last to be on linux at last  welldone Brian  
 and as pc not worlds best and getting bit old now and going like new one hp slimline dual with 3 gig ram  and it love this  o/s  so ty again

Wow! Glad it's working for you! "Everything works out of the box." Must have done something right
"People sleep peacably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Offline kb63

well its a first for me to lol always seem to have to play around with  things on other  distros but so far so good  and if it do go bad i let you know

Offline lvbfire

• Happy newyear to all , Just call me Leo not Sir
Trying hard to be kind and be a good friend.

Offline Brian

• Spatry's Troll HAMMER
  • Contributor
Here is my walk through on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nof38pmNKQ#ws

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
Great to see people are enjoying this!
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!

Offline kb63

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2014, 04:35:34 PM »
BRIAN's the uber king of BHUMR-C   LoL tryed all day to kill it and it just wont die  and teust me i normaly do kill the pc o/s  that must by why there  so many out there just not going to bother with the rest now found the BEST  8)

Offline Brian

• Spatry's Troll HAMMER
  • Contributor
BRIAN's the uber king of BHUMR-C   LoL tryed all day to kill it and it just wont die  and teust me i normaly do kill the pc o/s  that must by why there  so many out there just not going to bother with the rest now found the BEST  8)

Glad it's working well for you. Thanks for the feedback.

Offline farevildee

• Tyrannical Rule Enforcer
  • Staff Member
  • Linux is learning and freedom
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2014, 11:24:48 PM »
interesting interesting indeed like the theming very nice i do like the icons i like the way cinnamon has the new theming panel little getting use to but i like a challenge lol good selection of apps and software all except the coffe co.... i mean brassero disc burner lol prefer k3b works flawlessly lol keep up the good work
Friends don't let friends use WIndows or Mac OS.

Offline dathem

• Contributor
Hello, I just DL your distro and installed it on one of my computers, and so far, after about 45 min, I love it and it seems to do everything I want.  I only added Firefox and the HPLIP toolkit. I adjusted with a lot of the settings, or at least checked them all out. So far so good, I plan to install it on a computer with an SSD tomorrow.

dathem

Offline Brian

• Spatry's Troll HAMMER
  • Contributor
Hello, I just DL your distro and installed it on one of my computers, and so far, after about 45 min, I love it and it seems to do everything I want.  I only added Firefox and the HPLIP toolkit. I adjusted with a lot of the settings, or at least checked them all out. So far so good, I plan to install it on a computer with an SSD tomorrow.

dathem

Cool. Hope it works out for you. Thanks for giving it a try.