Void Linux: A Review + Installation Guide
Welcome, Guest.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." -Benjamin Franklin

Author Topic: Void Linux: A Review + Installation Guide  (Read 63857 times)

Offline fishmanluvslinux

• Spatry's Biggest Lunatic!
  • Contributor
  • People Are More Important Than Software!
    • Fishman Loves Linux
Re: Re: Void Linux: A Review + Installation Guide
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2015, 09:47:19 PM »
The installer gives you the option to use CFDISK for your partitioning, however, you can also partition your drive with a live-system like GPartedLIVE before doing void. Then in the installer, just skip the partitioning part and go directly to the mount-points :)

The mount-points is what messed up in the installer bro. The .iso is good just something is messed up with that part of the installer I guess.
" I LOVE IT WHEN A PLAN COMES TOGETHER" - HANNIBAL SMITH-THE A-TEAM (1983-1987)

Offline JayVii

• Contributor
    • JayVii's Page
Re: Void Linux: A Review + Installation Guide
« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2015, 03:07:23 AM »
hm... i'm having no issue with it, nor can i see something like that in their forum.
really not sure,what is happening for you, there

Offline jsalpha2

« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2015, 08:59:09 PM »
Installed the Xfce version and did a little customizing.  I like it.

Offline Thurve

« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2015, 03:31:12 PM »
I Just installed Void Linux the other day and so far I have been really impressed. I just can't believe that this distro is so far under the radar!
Just a few points about the installer:
1)  The installer only worked as sudo xbps-install
2) Network: The only way I could get my wireless to work after the installation (it worked fine during the live version) was to reinstall void and skip over the network option in the installer.
Side Note: If you need  a gui package installer they have a program called OctoXBPS which is Voids version of Arch linux Octopi.

Offline JayVii

• Contributor
    • JayVii's Page
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2015, 03:40:16 PM »
I Just installed Void Linux the other day and so far I have been really impressed. I just can't believe that this distro is so far under the radar!
yes, indeed. :)

1)  The installer only worked as sudo xbps-install
Both: the installer and the voidwiki tell you about this, though ;)

2) Network: The only way I could get my wireless to work after the installation (it worked fine during the live version) was to reinstall void and skip over the network option in the installer.
Did work just fine for me. Of course, i had to enable dhcpd & wpa_supplicant after installation (you may need to disable those, if you want to use Networkmanager or wicd, instead)

Side Note: If you need  a gui package installer they have a program called OctoXBPS which is Voids version of Arch linux Octopi.
That's actually developed by the Octopi-guy himself :) He also ported it over to FreeBSD (See: HERE)

Offline johnr

« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2016, 03:31:49 PM »
great guide i got void setup on my test box via this soon to be on my main system when have time

Offline Ben

• Resident WIZARD
  • Contributor
Re: Re: Void Linux: A Review + Installation Guide
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2016, 04:41:06 AM »
great guide i got void setup on my test box via this soon to be on my main system when have time
Hey, thanks man.  Void was the little distro that could back when I reviewed it, now it's picking up steam and a major distro with thriving development and a decent sized community.  I think there's a pretty clear line in the sand between the systemd and traditional UNIX style distros, Void came along just at the right time for the non-systemd crowd.

Offline JayVii

• Contributor
    • JayVii's Page
« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2016, 04:25:37 AM »
I published a little Guide about System-Encryption in Voidlinux, last night.
Since the installer does not currently support this feature, you have to perform a manual install. However, this really is not as hard as it sounds and if you ever installed Archlinux, you will have no issues with this one, either :)

You can find the Tutorial/Guide on my NotABug.