How to Respin/remaster Manjaro?
Welcome, Guest.
"When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty." -Thomas Jefferson

Author Topic: How to Respin/remaster Manjaro?  (Read 9584 times)

Offline M.S.M.

• Dev, Show Host & Nuisance
  • Contributor
  • Founder of Tech Cafe'
How to Respin/remaster Manjaro?
« on: March 15, 2014, 10:51:07 AM »
Dose anybody have a guide, or can help me do a Manjaro Respin? I don't really want to redistribute my own spin just yet.  I Just want to learn how to do it.  Once i get the hang of it and am comfortable then i will think about an official respin. But right now i just want to learn how it's done.  if anyone can help me with that i would appreciate it.   ;)

Offline artofmusic

• artofmusicproductions
Re: How to Respin/remaster Manjaro?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2014, 12:18:45 PM »
I've tried manjaroiso and got an error after adding two aur packages to my distro, but here's a guide its a bit long winded, but this should give you what you want. newbielink:https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Remastering_the_Install_ISO [nonactive]
This Is why I use a Debian distro. EASIER TO REMASTER
When In Doubt C4

Offline drum

• Spatry's IRON FIST!
  • Contributor
  • the Spamhammer
    • linux-mania
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2014, 05:46:14 PM »
This link goes to the manjaro wiki where you find the explanation how to make your own re-spin of:
http://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php/ManjaroISO
This link goes to the manjaro forum:
http://forum.manjaro.org/index.php?topic=2709.0
The "Penguin" has arrived - and he's not going away - ever.
It's not the software that's free; it's you.
"It does what I expect of it, when I expect it - otherwise, stays out of my way." http://i61.tinypic.com/2emgzrp.jpg

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
Manjaro ISO Explained
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2014, 05:56:19 PM »
Matthew, You may also find this video to be useful! Phil takes you on a tour of the installation along with usage! Good luck!

Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!

Offline M.S.M.

• Contributor
  • Founder of Tech Cafe'
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2014, 03:46:52 AM »
Ok. so i made two re-spins so far using Manjaroiso. Changed the Kernel, the Default packages, all that stuff.   But there are a few things i can't figure out. how to Replace the default wallpaper with my own.  Change the Window Borders from the Manjaro-dark  to the Default XFCE ones like the ones that are in "Window Manger" settings.   And also save my xfce settings. Like the  changes i make to the panels and desktop and system settings. how do i carry that stuff over to my completed image?   i have looked and looked and tried a bunch of stuff.  The settings isn't that big of a deal though. i can live without that.  But  i do really want to change the default wallpaper to my own. and also change those windows borders.   if i could get those things figured out i would be happy. so if anyone could help me out with that i would appreciate it. 

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2014, 04:33:51 AM »
Nice to know you got some of it figured out! You are doing better than me! Kudos to you! You might consider hanging out in #manjaro and pick "philm's" brain once you see him. You can also ask edge226, he should know... Good luck!

Offline artofmusic

• artofmusicproductions
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2014, 02:11:08 PM »
WARNING: SUDO MUST BE USED FOR THIS TASK USE IT WITH CARE
Prereqs:
    Some Basic Knowledge Of How To Use A Terminal (xfce-terminal) if your in the main manjaro
    sudo - SO BE CAREFUL!!!!
You Have to put everything in /etc/skel/[name of directory]/[filename] for your wallpapers also if you want that wallpaper to show on your remaster right at live boot if your using xfce edit this file with a text editor sudo nano /etc/skel/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfce4-desktop.xml you should see this string:
<property name="image-path" type="string" value="/etc/skel/Wallpapers/debian-grey.jpg"/>
set the value to where your wallpaper is in /etc/skel directory.
Also, to get your themes and custom goodies that you have in your home directory simply copy them from your /home/[user] directory where user is your name.
I.E. (sudo cp -r .config .gconf .kde .qt .bashrc .bash_history .bash_aliases .bash_logout /etc/skel/)
or easier you can copy all dot files and folders at once
I.E. (sudo cp -r .* /etc/skel/)
Voila now you have all your themeing, wallpapers, and settings on the live disc
Oh yeah one last thing download stuff from xfce-look and /home/[user]/.themes/ is where your gtk2-3 themes go, And /home/[user]/.icons/ is where your custom icons go then follow the steps above to copy them to the /etc/skel directory to be remastered once you got everything the way you want.
Hope This Helped

« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 02:16:27 PM by artofmusic »
When In Doubt C4

Offline M.S.M.

• Contributor
  • Founder of Tech Cafe'
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2014, 07:19:45 PM »
Alright. Almost there.  I did everything listed. Everything worked, except for one thing.  i still don't have my wallpaper.  i have all my themes, settings, icons, packages, Kernel, Everything.   Just no Wallpaper.   doesn't look like they are being put on the image at all.  the path to the wallpaper is set correctly in the .xml file. there is just no wallpaper there to apply.   Its not on the completed image.   ???    so what do i do now?

MERGED... DO NOT DOUBLE POST... Use the modify button!

i found a way to do it.  When the automated process is done building the image and starts to place it into the .iso  i hit control + C and cancel it.  then i have the raw image in the xfce configs folder. i manually add the Wallpapers and things into those folders where they need to go. then restart the Build.  It picks up where it left off and proceeds to compress those files into the .iso.  i'm sure that isn't the proper way to do it. But it seems to have worked.   if anyone knows of a more proper way of doing this let me know. 

Offline artofmusic

• artofmusicproductions
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2014, 09:49:38 PM »
the best place to put an image before the remaster should be /etc/skel well that's how remastersys does it and there is a folder called /etc/skel in majaro where all the user manuals and wallpaper is, so same should hold true in arch. Can't say I tried manjaroiso and didn't want to build my iso with custom aur packages on it so yeah I'm not sure. I'm debian so that seems to work on my distro.
When In Doubt C4

Offline M.S.M.

• Contributor
  • Founder of Tech Cafe'
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2014, 10:05:39 PM »
Well when i built my 32 bit version i think i found the easiest way to do it.  As it starts to build i just sit in the XFCE-image folder.  as soon as the folders are created i just paste in my files as it builds. then when it starts to move them into the .iso  they are already in there.  Seems to be the easiest way to do it.  But i would assume not proper.   

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2014, 10:10:27 PM »
I cannot wait to see what you do with this Matthew. Maybe you should consider doing a MANJARO ISO video... There are certainly not enough of those out there!