Consider about using compiz-manjaro (Compiz 0.9) in the next release
Welcome, Guest.
“Theory and practice sometimes clash. And when that happens, theory loses. Every single time.” ― Linus Torvalds

Author Topic: Consider about using compiz-manjaro (Compiz 0.9) in the next release  (Read 8309 times)

Offline trzalica

• Manjaro Xfce
I already write here (and on Manjaro forum) about issues with nVidia drivers and Compiz 0.8.
Yesterday I tried version 0.9 - compiz-manjaro, maintained by Rob (from Manjaro team) and it's way better in term of stability than version 0.8.
If you didn't try it Spatry, I highly recommend it!
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 07:28:35 AM by trzalica »
Maintainer of AUR packages:
apache22
php-apache22

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
Re: Consider about using compiz-manjaro (Compiz 0.9) in the next release
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2014, 12:54:58 PM »
Compiz 0.9 strips out a lot of features which make 0.8 series great. The 0.9 series was made for the Unity desktop.
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!

Offline trzalica

• Manjaro Xfce
Compiz 0.9 strips out a lot of features which make 0.8 series great. The 0.9 series was made for the Unity desktop.
Maybe Compiz 0.9 is made for Unity but it supports new graphic card drivers better then 0.8 which become obsolete... ;) I love 0.8 but 0.9 works better on my machine with new drivers.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 02:41:44 PM by trzalica »
apache22
php-apache22

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2014, 05:43:36 PM »
0.9 is available in the manjaro repository and can be easily installed with:
Code: [Select]
sudo pacman -S compiz-manjaroYou may not be able to get Emerald to work with it though... Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Offline trzalica

• Manjaro Xfce
0.9 is available in the manjaro repository and can be easily installed with:
Code: [Select]
sudo pacman -S compiz-manjaro
You may not be able to get Emerald to work with it though... Someone correct me if I am wrong.
LOL I know how to install it, I already did that. After I tried it I thought it would be nice to give you a suggestion to use it in your future custom versions of Manjaro, that's all! :)
If you want to use Emerald you need to install emerald-git because it supports Compiz 0.9 (but I didn't try that because I don't need Emerald anymore).

« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 05:59:06 PM by trzalica »
apache22
php-apache22

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2014, 06:02:20 PM »
OK... I follow you... The problem is that I cannot get my "Cup logo" in the desktop cylinder and a bunch of other customizations which are stripped from 0.9.

Offline trzalica

• Manjaro Xfce
OK... I follow you... The problem is that I cannot get my "Cup logo" in the desktop cylinder and a bunch of other customizations which are stripped from 0.9.
Didn't experiment much with cylinder or cube but I saw that 3D Windows in cube aren't smooth as in the 0.8 version and there are some rough edges here and there but I think that it will be polished in the near future (it's a project in active development).
Main reason I suggested you this because I saw and heard that many people have problems with new graphics drivers - I wanted at least to contribute to your project with an advice. :)
apache22
php-apache22

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2014, 06:33:29 PM »
I ran the 0.9 series on XFCE (linux lite) with the Catalyst and Free drivers on my Radeon HD6520; which is not that old. The result was atrocious on my system. I experienced constant screen flickering when rotating the cube and there were other anomalies. Unfortunately, I do not have a test environment available to me to ensure those problems were fixed in that series. While some forums report the problem has been corrected, others state it remains an issue.

Offline trzalica

• Manjaro Xfce
I ran the 0.9 series on XFCE (linux lite) with the Catalyst and Free drivers on my Radeon HD6520; which is not that old. The result was atrocious on my system. I experienced constant screen flickering when rotating the cube and there were other anomalies. Unfortunately, I do not have a test environment available to me to ensure those problems were fixed in that series. While some forums report the problem has been corrected, others state it remains an issue.
I can confirm that problem with flickering is still there but can be fixed with activating this option in CCSM, in "Workarounds": "Force full screen redraws (buffer swap) on repaint"
I had awful flickering especially when using Firefox. When I activated this option problem dissapeared and everything seems OK now.
If you want you can install and try this compiz-manjaro painlessly because it stores its data on other location than Compiz 0.8 so you can switch on 0.8 again.

apache22
php-apache22

Offline lcRONOS

• I will run all the Operating Systems!
  • Staff Member
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2014, 09:56:52 PM »
The reason everything was stripped out is 0.9 is a complete rewrite in a different language.  A lot of people have found 0.8 to be more stable, which makes since since 0.9 is more like an 0.1 release.  There's info on the arch website (forums or wiki idr which).  While 0.9 supports newer hardware, I'd recommend 0.8 still. Granted I'd recommend Kwin over either one, but that's just me (keep in mind I use KDE not Xfce).
Laptop: HP Pavilion 15t, quadboot Obarun Linux, macOS 10.13, TrueOS, Windows 10
Desktop: Dell Inspiron 660, dualboot Artix Linux,Windows 1

Offline trzalica

• Manjaro Xfce
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2014, 06:03:43 AM »
The reason everything was stripped out is 0.9 is a complete rewrite in a different language.  A lot of people have found 0.8 to be more stable, which makes since since 0.9 is more like an 0.1 release.  There's info on the arch website (forums or wiki idr which).  While 0.9 supports newer hardware, I'd recommend 0.8 still. Granted I'd recommend Kwin over either one, but that's just me (keep in mind I use KDE not Xfce).
Just for example: I tried Kwin on Xfce and did everything just like Spatry in his Youtube videos and it didn't work as it should (at least it didn't work as in Spatry's tutorials). So I would say that it's just a matter of PC hardware - someone can use that and someone can't... For me, Kwin on Xfce didn't work and Compiz is more stable.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 06:04:52 AM by trzalica »
apache22
php-apache22

Offline lcRONOS

• I will run all the Operating Systems!
  • Staff Member
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2014, 12:36:24 AM »
That is true, hardware plays a huge part in the compositor.  I had issues with kwin at first, but after playing with some setting that weren't in the video managed to get it working on my old laptop (worked fine ootb on my new one). First thing I'd suggest to anyone trying to use kwin is to check that it is using the best version of opengl (not necessarily the newest, my old one was too old to handle the 3.x release) and if none work then use the other one (can't remember it's name) it doesn't support all the plugins though :(
Laptop: HP Pavilion 15t, quadboot Obarun Linux, macOS 10.13, TrueOS, Windows 10
Desktop: Dell Inspiron 660, dualboot Artix Linux,Windows 1

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2016, 11:31:12 AM »
Compiz-Reloaded has hit the scene and reinvigorates the 0.8 series of Compiz. It features lots of bug fixes, possible backports from 0.9 and other features which never saw the light of day! With an active team developing the project and testing against the latest hardware, there is no need to use the stripped down .9 series.

Sidenote: I do not plan to ship a 3d compositor with future releases of mCOLe. They are NOT essential to the functionality of the OS. I am shooting for functionality over fluff.