tuxonice
Welcome, Guest.
"When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty." -Thomas Jefferson

Author Topic: tuxonice  (Read 2813 times)

Offline lcRONOS

• I will run all the Operating Systems!
  • Staff Member
tuxonice
« on: September 27, 2014, 12:46:36 AM »
Something that may benefit laptop users would be tuxonice.  It serves as a full replacement for swsusp which is the hibernation tool integrated with Linux.  The main advantages for it are that it wakes from boot significantly faster than swsusp, so laptop users can set default shutdown behavior to be to hibernate instead and have systems "booting" at speeds similar to SSDs.  It takes some effort to set up, so I'm not sure how feasible it'd be to implement in the distro (not difficult to set up if it's already in the system, so your users won't have an issue with it).  It requires a kernel patch, however that's not very difficult, then you just need to make sure the right options are enabled in the kernel (they should be so you shouldn't need to edit it either).  The main difficulty comes in setting it up so that it boots into the lock screen, and the arch wiki has a guide on that. I'd understand not implementing it, but it could be a nice feature and afaik there aren't any notable distros that do this by default, so it could be a great feature to get MCOLE's name out.
Laptop: HP Pavilion 15t, quadboot Obarun Linux, macOS 10.13, TrueOS, Windows 10
Desktop: Dell Inspiron 660, dualboot Artix Linux,Windows 1

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
Re: tuxonice
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2014, 12:05:53 PM »
Interesting idea!!! I will look into this when I have some free time! Thanks lcRONOS!
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!

Offline lcRONOS

• I will run all the Operating Systems!
  • Staff Member
Re: tuxonice
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2014, 04:01:56 PM »
The Gentoo forums has a guide on using it with fbsplash where some important changes are marked. The arch wiki may or may not have those changes. Also don't test it by typing in the hibernate command, as with my experience it's not the same as using the GUI to hibernate, however that is partly due to how KDE handles hibernation.
Laptop: HP Pavilion 15t, quadboot Obarun Linux, macOS 10.13, TrueOS, Windows 10
Desktop: Dell Inspiron 660, dualboot Artix Linux,Windows 1