Trimming video fat
Welcome, Guest.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." -Benjamin Franklin

Author Topic: Trimming video fat  (Read 2703 times)

Offline Jim

Trimming video fat
« on: August 07, 2014, 01:47:08 PM »
I would like to learn how to clip unwanted parts from videos.
Format is mpeg-4.
Mostly I just want to remove a bit from the beginnings and endings.
This seems a simple task, but I have had no luck.
Suggestions.
The Myth of Male Power by Warren Farrell

Offline Synrgy87

• Contributor
  • There Ain't no Party like an Old School Party.
Re: Trimming video fat
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2014, 02:15:47 PM »
for GUI tools both Openshot and Kdenlive can do this easily. or via command line ffmpeg can do it, the exact ffmpeg command depends on exactly what you want to do.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/FFmpeg

is a good starting point

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
TRIM YOUR VIDEO QUICKLY IN THE TERMINAL! SUPER EASY TO DO!
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2014, 07:55:44 PM »
Assuming you know what time (in-points and out-points) you want to trim a file to you can use ffmpeg to cut your video super FAST! Use ANY media player to play your video and jot down the in and out points. Then open up your trusty terminal.
Code: [Select]
ffmpeg -i in.mp4 -vcodec copy -acodec copy -ss 00:00:00.000 -to 00:00:00.000 out.mp4in.mp4 is the name of the file you will be cropping. The "00:00:00.000" after -ss is your in-point in Hours-Minutes-Seconds-Miliseconds. The 00:00:00.000 after -to is your out-point in Hours-Minutes-Seconds-Miliseconds. out.mp4 is the name of your output file.

If you are on Ubuntu you may not have FFMPEG installed so you will use AVCONV instead:
Code: [Select]
avconv -i in.mp4 -vcodec copy -acodec copy -ss 00:00:00.000 -to 00:00:00.000 out.mp4
This is one of those handy little chunks of code I kept tucked away whenever I want to trim video footage I want to save for future projects. Hope this serves you as well as it has served me! Cheers!
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 08:08:35 PM by Spatry »
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!