Fishman attempts BSD's
Welcome, Guest.
“Theory and practice sometimes clash. And when that happens, theory loses. Every single time.” ― Linus Torvalds

Author Topic: Fishman attempts BSD's  (Read 2950 times)

Offline fishmanluvslinux

• Spatry's Biggest Lunatic!
  • Contributor
  • People Are More Important Than Software!
    • Fishman Loves Linux
Fishman attempts BSD's
« on: September 21, 2014, 04:02:07 PM »
I have tried for almost 2 days to get different BSD's to install on my Gateway laptop and they all have a video crash. I know I am not a super use or anything but it seems to me that my hardware config must be strange or foreign to this software. Plus the fact that there is way too much manual configuration needed for this OS to work. So all in all I am going to put Linux on it again. I am sure that BSD's are good for those that like the text-based OS but I like my GUI's and everytime I try using the docs to install xfce4 the video crashes and all of this headache is not my cup of software type. Sorry to those that love the BSD's just being honest and to tell the truth, I am not that geeky either. ;)
" I LOVE IT WHEN A PLAN COMES TOGETHER" - HANNIBAL SMITH-THE A-TEAM (1983-1987)

Offline Ben

• Resident WIZARD
  • Contributor
Re: Fishman attempts BSD's
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2014, 02:21:54 PM »
It's all good, fishman.  There is definitely a learning curve to the BSDs, and when it comes to everything working 100% OOTB Linux has a definite advantage.

Offline lcRONOS

• I will run all the Operating Systems!
  • Staff Member
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2014, 11:23:39 PM »
BSD "supported" my wireless on my old laptop. Never got it working properly though, however I disagree about it being better for cli oriented users.  Theoretically you could use it without ever touching the command line.  If it had better hardware support (making it equal to Linux) I'd have it instead of Linux (well maybe, I like Gentoo a lot).  I think you should give PCBSD or Ghost BSD a try if you haven't.
Laptop: HP Pavilion 15t, quadboot Obarun Linux, macOS 10.13, TrueOS, Windows 10
Desktop: Dell Inspiron 660, dualboot Artix Linux,Windows 1

Offline Ben

• Resident WIZARD
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2014, 11:31:17 PM »
Fishman already reviewed GhostBSD, actually, but PC-BSD wouldn't work for him as they've gone 64 bit only and he's installing on a single core desktop. PC-BSD also dropped UFS2 for ZFS only, which isn't ideal for older hardware.

EDIT:  Also, keep in mind there is no "BSD".  Each of the four main BSDs handle wifi somewhat differently.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 11:32:20 PM by Ben »

Offline lcRONOS

• I will run all the Operating Systems!
  • Staff Member
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2014, 12:49:45 AM »
I haven't really looked at any of his videos or anything, so oops lol. As for using BSD as a singular, in my case I tried all four of the major BSDs and none of them worked, however you're right I should have said that *BSD didn't.
Laptop: HP Pavilion 15t, quadboot Obarun Linux, macOS 10.13, TrueOS, Windows 10
Desktop: Dell Inspiron 660, dualboot Artix Linux,Windows 1