A Few Suggestions
Welcome, Guest.
"When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty." -Thomas Jefferson

Author Topic: A Few Suggestions  (Read 2701 times)

Offline 11ryanc

• Artist, writer, open source
« on: June 06, 2014, 01:54:14 AM »
Been testing the latest RC build for Manjaro Cup Of LInux lately, just thought I'd point out a few suggestions for the final release. Put on some reading glasses, this one's gonna be long ;) :
-Blue user folders for the Fenza icon set.
Personally I Thought it was a nice move transitioning to Fenza for the icon theme. However since the theming has been somewhat fine tuned with some of the additional slick blue wallpapers, and the tweaked blue menu launcher icon. I think that having blue folder icons (only within the user folder/home directory itself) would bring a nice feel of continuity with the theming. Kind of a blue/black interface. Icons being similar to Vista for example where the user folder items where displayed in a shiny green, then having standard yellow for all other folders throughout the OS.

-Restored file menu options in Thunar:
I noticed that there are no longer any visual file menu options displayed within Thunar. I personally found this to be a bit of a drag usability wise. The lack of a file menu bar doesn't bother me. But having the options themselves is still one of those must have elements for me. Beyond WIndows XP with Vista and Windows 7, Explorer was streamlined and file menus "by default" where replaced with buttons across the Explorer command bar. Things like a drop down file menu for accessing things such as folder options, as well as view icons spread out within the UI. If file menus are no longer going to be in use in Manjaro COLE, I would recommend following a similar GUI pattern to Windows 7/Vista.

-Transparent Windows During Move & Resize:
Since Compiz is no longer enabled by default, having translucent window effects for resizing/moving would help throw in some eyecandy without the loss of performance like with Compiz.

-Desktop Workspace Switcher On Panel By Default

-Web browser:
Now I know what everyone's thinking. WHY DITCH THE FIREFOX!!?..
With the new UI refresh FF 29 has just really lost much of it's configurable functionality. Addons bar is gone completely from the source code, tabs bar is now locked above the url bar, just a big burden imo. I personally have switched over to Pale Moon a while back, still love Firefox of course. But I just kinda side more with the way PM works. It uses the GUI and basic frameworks from Firefox 24 (setup in a FF v. 3x layout), updates are only chosen when necessary affecting in less issues with browser extensions breaking, and since Australis is not used. Theming and customizing it is somewhat easier
Not trying to have Firefox dumped, especially NOT trying to promote a program!! I just think it's a nice additional program to maybe take into consideration, with the community's approval of course ;)
I know that was a LOT to read  ;D , but those are just my ideas for Manjaro Cup Of LInux Edition. Hopefully some of that may come in use. (Don't mind the grammar if some of it is screwed up, I'm writing this well past Midnight)
So what do you guys think about this all?
« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 02:30:26 AM by 11ryanc »
"It's a mystery"
Velma -Scooby-Doo

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
Re: A Few Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2014, 09:03:00 AM »
Everything you mentioned only takes a minute or two to change. If there were a blue icon set in the repos I would have used them. There is an issue in the elementary icon set so I could not use them in this release. I spent several hours giving firefox a really slick, classic look and thus far you are the only person who did not like it. You are free to uninstall it and use whatever you like. Matthew and I felt that there should only be ONE application of each type offered. I feel that 2 office suites, 2 web browsers, 2 paint softwares, 2 video editors = 2 much bloat.
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!

Offline 11ryanc

• Artist, writer, open source
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2014, 11:04:35 AM »
Everything you mentioned only takes a minute or two to change. If there were a blue icon set in the repos I would have used them. There is an issue in the elementary icon set so I could not use them in this release. I spent several hours giving firefox a really slick, classic look and thus far you are the only person who did not like it. You are free to uninstall it and use whatever you like. Matthew and I felt that there should only be ONE application of each type offered. I feel that 2 office suites, 2 web browsers, 2 paint softwares, 2 video editors = 2 much bloat.
I see, and agreed about the double applications as being "bloat".
"It's a mystery"
Velma -Scooby-Doo