chromium wont run
Welcome, Guest.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." -Benjamin Franklin

Author Topic: chromium wont run  (Read 4262 times)

Offline colinbate

chromium wont run
« on: May 26, 2014, 03:48:29 PM »
I have install chromium using pacman -S chromium it appears on the menu but wont run
any ideas

Regards
Colin Bate

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
Re: chromium wont run
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2014, 04:55:31 PM »
What is the output of
Code: [Select]
chromiumwhen you run it in a terminal? You may be missing a shared library which does not allow it to run.
Please use the CODE tag when you paste the output or use pastebin and post a link to it. Thanks.
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!

Offline linuxguy7123

• Banned: Rule Breaker
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2014, 05:34:46 PM »
Like Spatry said you should tell us the output of the command chromium in the terminal then we can help you further.

Offline TheTexasRAT

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2014, 07:42:51 AM »
I too have the same problem and I typed "Chromium" into the terminal like Spatry said, and it answers me back "Illegal instruction". 

So I am still in need to get Chromium working. I am running Spatry's Cup of Linux (with borders) on a Dell Latitude C610 - 32 bit - Intel Pentium III 1000MHz @ 1GHz - 1GB RAM - Samsung 120GB HD.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 02:05:44 AM by TheTexasRAT »
and remember, wisdom never lies inked to the pages coddled by a book
but yet rather supply about the inside of open minds that render the confounds thereof.

Offline jim1112

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2017, 06:37:05 AM »
I too am having this same problem. I realize this is an old topic, but I have not found a solution. When I run chromium from terminal, I get nothing except the icon and Chromium in the taskbar. It's as though I have minimized the program, but I can't unminimize it. Right-clicking on chromium in the taskbar reveals the drop-down menu. Selecting close, closes the item on the taskbar and I then get the following in terminal:
code:[jim@jim-pc ~]$ chromium
[2095:2124:0622/052725.560305:ERROR:browser_gpu_channel_host_factory.cc(103)] Failed to launch GPU process.
^CNo valid task runner, exiting ungracefully.

Issue resolved: Today's update to chromium-59.0.3071.109-1 seems to have addressed the problem.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 12:10:39 PM by jim1112 »

Offline Kalthrix

• Contributor
Re: Re: chromium wont run
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2017, 01:18:25 PM »
I too am having this same problem. I realize this is an old topic, but I have not found a solution. When I run chromium from terminal, I get nothing except the icon and Chromium in the taskbar. It's as though I have minimized the program, but I can't unminimize it. Right-clicking on chromium in the taskbar reveals the drop-down menu. Selecting close, closes the item on the taskbar and I then get the following in terminal:
code:[jim@jim-pc ~]$ chromium
[2095:2124:0622/052725.560305:ERROR:browser_gpu_channel_host_factory.cc(103)] Failed to launch GPU process.
^CNo valid task runner, exiting ungracefully.

Issue resolved: Today's update to chromium-59.0.3071.109-1 seems to have addressed the problem.

The only thing I could have thought of being a potential issue is maybe hardware acceleration. However, am glad it is working for you now. :)