Command Line Interface Video Extractor
Welcome, Guest.
"When government fears the people, there is LIBERTY.  When the people fear the government, there is TYRANNY." -Thomas Jefferson

Author Topic: Command Line Interface Video Extractor  (Read 2860 times)

Offline videodrome

• Linux & BSD user
Command Line Interface Video Extractor
« on: March 10, 2014, 11:08:11 PM »
This tool might apply to the Flash support dilemma, but I've already found it useful as a way to pull content out of YouTube.  The tool I'm talking about is a terminal command CLIVE.

Folks on Debian/Ubuntu should be able to find this in the repos with sudo apt-get install clive.  For Arch users, this is called cclive so you'll use pacman -S cclive. 

This tool is very simple.  In the terminal just navigate to the directory where you want to store a YouTube Flash video.  Then simply type the command followed by the pasted video URL copied from the address bar. In this example, clive pulls Spatry's ArtistiX video

#clive https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1VG3-L8sa8&list=PLC618F46E86E92CEA

It downloaded for me with no problem. I then navigate to it in the File Manager and play it in VLC. 

This tool is not guaranteed to always work with YouTube.  I'm not sure if there are oddly formated videos or what, but most of the time this does work for me. 

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
Re: Command Line Interface Video Extractor
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2014, 11:13:35 PM »
I have seen this before... Very useful for tech junkies. the only issue I would have with it is... Will clive grab the HD version OR is there a CLI switch which needs to be applied?
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!

Offline videodrome

• Linux & BSD user
Re: Command Line Interface Video Extractor
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2014, 12:41:47 AM »
I think it goes for the highest quality first, but I'm not totally sure on that. 

There are of course many switches and options that can be applied to clive to probe the video link for more options.  I think you can view and choose video quality.

Query Video Formats
clive -F Youtube_URL

Create an Argument for a specific format:

clive -f best Youtube_URL