Your Dream Linux (configuration).
Welcome, Guest.
We just had a major upgrade and we are restoring board features. Your patience is appreciated while we work through these issues. --Spatry

Author Topic: Your Dream Linux (configuration).  (Read 76 times)

Offline f2fs

Your Dream Linux (configuration).
« on: December 02, 2019, 11:42:11 AM »
What would be your "dream" distro if you could have it all. Post below you dream config.
Mine is as follows:
1.Booting without systemd and GRUB
2. Zero systemd and  zero dbus; runit init system by default
3. Zero zeitgeist, zero geip, zero geip-city, etc
4. No metrics whatsoever anywhere
5. Kernel without vmlinuz crashes
6. ZERO AndroID and ZERO MS crap in the kernel
7. f2f on /home and /root
8. Zero Intel Management Engine
9. Zero "side channel hacking" vulnerabilities and associated "software mitigations"
10. Linaro patches by default (bfq)
11. Zwap by default
12. scratch package manager (discovered it recently, wow!)
13. Intel boot kernel improvements by default
14. One ISO that has stage 3 optimizations by default for both AMD and Intel and amazing robust hardware detection
15. VAAPI by default everywhere including Mozilla Firefox
16. DE rendered everywhere by GPU (including Webrender in Firefox)
17. OpenBSD xorg configs by default
18. muslc
18. LLVM
19. Robust installer that obeys security settings by default (only Fedora does that...).
20. Sane security defaults !!

Offline CwF

• Elite Member
Re: Your Dream Linux (configuration).
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2019, 11:08:17 AM »
What would be your "dream" distro if you could have it all.

Working on it! I take "have it all" literally. So excluding this or that is unacceptable! I want everything that runs on a computer to run some how on my one big bad box.

Mine is as follows:
1.Booting without systemd and GRUB
2. Zero systemd and  zero dbus; runit init system by default
3. Zero zeitgeist, zero geip, zero geip-city, etc
4. No metrics whatsoever anywhere

I'm firmly behind systemd, but then I'm one of those debian people...
The bottom layer is isolated, not even a browser. Some top layer VM's have full default tracking.
Much of the system has no metrics, some vm's have metrics, planted metrics, themed metrics, whatever I tell you metrics.

5. Kernel without vmlinuz crashes

Host never crashes, only vm's and separate bare metal test ever crash.

6. ZERO AndroID and ZERO MS crap in the kernel

Some of the vm's maybe...again, no blind exclusions based on hype, theory, conspiracy...

8. Zero Intel Management Engine

Sure. I use lots of impi equipped stuff, maybe worse. non-issue.

9. Zero "side channel hacking" vulnerabilities and associated "software mitigations"

I love how Xeons run when you turn off hyperthreading. So when I build them, I double up. They're cheap and plentiful.

11. Zwap by default

zramswap is nice. I use 4x64MB in vms and firefox likes them and uses them very efficiently. The host has 16x128MB and uses it, so effective in low and high memory uses. I do have a M$ coded pae-ram drive for swap on an XP vm, very cool, remember anything and everything in one box!

12. scratch package manager (discovered it recently, wow!)

Yes, important. Debian is the strongest in package management, hence my choice.

13. Intel boot kernel improvements by default

Sure, full VT-d+, iommu, srvio, etc. Also, bios control over HT, core count, and multiplier helps. Default is still a problematic thing. Linux in general does not have robust conditional defaults.

14. One ISO that has stage 3 optimizations by default for both AMD and Intel and amazing robust hardware detection

As I said above. M$ had superior hardware routines in XP that still haven't been matched. I've eliminated install and back up concerns by using images and learning how to tailor them for use. See my other post... An image is a backup, a file, and image is the system, on the boot ssd...the image is running...

15. VAAPI by default everywhere including Mozilla Firefox

Ya, we're always behind what could be! We have a long way to go. I don't think anything is ready for 'default'. It makes people like me mad when I have to de-engineer poor assumptions.

16. DE rendered everywhere by GPU (including Webrender in Firefox)

still working on the prior #15, but I can have 3 environments on the 3 gpu's all at the same time, so that helps. I wish MxGPU would hit mainline linux, I can dream...

17. OpenBSD xorg configs by default

Hint from #15, there should be no xorg.conf. Hint files are the xorg files for switches and modes that should execute optional if present, and not hang at the terminal in indescision like so many do.

18. LLVM

I do use it. Fully encrypted disk make full size images at backup that can't be compressed, that sucks. Other backup images are just a few gigs, that's nice.

I focus on capabilities few use. So I'm odd, but within this realm I think debian, and Linux, is amazing. As a general purpose do everything OS, well, that's silly, Linux itself, and debian in particular is way way way behind...Linux is still the arena of excessive choice among the almost done. Some will think that's a slam, not really.

For me no worries, I've gone vertical...

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
Re: Your Dream Linux (configuration).
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2019, 01:09:40 PM »
Here we go again... Beating that old SystemD chestnut again! I am surprised Helga did not chime in on this one... I think she must be busy feeding alka-seltzer to the seagulls at the beach again.

AGAIN... Use the software which helps you to get the job done and take no flack from social justice warriors who think you should be using 'product A' over 'product B'. At the end of the day you will be happier using software you are comfortable with. The type of software you use depends on your specific use case.

• For beginners: Manjaro - easy to use, most things configured without needing to peek under the hood too much, great system for those transitioning from Windows.
  • Intermediates: Arch - Build your ideal Linux system, include only the packages you want... nothing more, nothing less. Parabola for those who want to be free and make Uncle Richard happy.
  • Curmudgeons: Linux from Scratch - because anything someone else built is NEVER good enough.

Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!

Offline Dirty Helga

• Malevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Do you feel LUCKY today?
Re: Re: Your Dream Linux (configuration).
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2019, 01:56:37 PM »
Here we go again... Beating that old SystemD chestnut again! I am surprised Helga did not chime in on this one... I think she must be busy feeding alka-seltzer to the seagulls at the beach again....
No no no! I was feeding them Efferdent! Spatry, you get 25 demerits for mentioning my category last! I am more important than the beginners or the intermediate users! HAH!
If you BREAK the RULES, I WILL SHOOT YOU!