Is Spatry On Another Hiadus
Welcome, Guest.
We would like to wish you all a
HAPPY CHRISTMAS and
A MERRY 2020!

Forum maintenance is underway.
Registrations are temporarily disabled until further notice.

Author Topic: Is Spatry On Another Hiadus  (Read 538 times)

Offline pip5528

• The Pipsqueak!!!
  • Staff Member
  • Technology nerd, audiophile, musician, gamer
Re: Re: Is Spatry On Another Hiadus
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2020, 08:51:48 PM »
Well said. I agree that the intent of COPPA by itself is good, however the execution between Google and the FTC is pretty unreal. This will be the last platform any content creator in the U.S. will want to turn to. Possible fines for mis-categorization and also demonitzation for videos that are deemed to essentially be child appropriate. Even if they are clearly marked as adult content! This is going to hurt a lot of content creators that live here in the states.

I am genuinely curious though how this will affect those international? Can't imagine that Google (or the FTC for that matter) are going to try to pursue charges outside the U.S. Google would probably get hit with the fine instead for videos posted outside the U.S. which is why I mention them. Will they geo-lock YouTube to the U.S. to better manage this? Hopefully not, although who knows?

Actually, Google have stated that the COPPA enforcement will apply to everyone, regardless of their country of residence, not just people in the US, and that laws of what constitute as a kid may be different in other countries, but in the US it's anyone under the age of 13. The enforcement will apparently not go into effect until January 20th. Most of us thought it was the 1st of January, but that turned out not to be the case. I do hope the FTC got a lot of valuable advice from people who were sending in comments which ended on December 9th and that they've revised their vague, terribly outdated guidelines for what constitutes as kid-friendly or "kid-attractive" as they're really interpreting it. You know, stuff like video games, music, or saying "yeah" or "cool" or "fun" which EVERY age group does! There was also that petition to the FTC which I and many other people signed. I've already marked all my videos as kid videos except for a handful that happen to contain swearing since I was playing with other people and I don't bleep things out, then set my whole channel to private out of paranoia. All we can do now is hope that we don't get utterly screwed come the 20th, which will be the end of the silver age of YouTube (the golden age ended in like 2013). I highly doubt it as the majority of my audience is apparently in their 30's and over 18, let alone 13 and up, plus I have a measly 131 subscribers. Sadly, YouTube analytics don't tell you if anyone is under 13 because you'd have to be registered to have that stuff show up and their terms say you must be 13 to have an account.
My name may be Pip, but I'm not that small!

Offline Mack

Re: Is Spatry On Another Hiadus
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2020, 06:50:36 PM »
Good grief.. The things you go through over the pond..  The worry is of course, that what happens over there eventually comes to good old England.. 

I was once toying with the idea of a YT channel, other than a few more personal things that I have. But with all the increasing rules and regs I have to ask if it's really worth the effort..  Google are as bad as M$ now. I dislike them intensely.

Maybe moving platforms is the answer, but of course the big advertisers have a love affair with the G.

Sorry to hear this news.

On another point, I finally  installed Manjaro on one laptop so after a year or more of dithering, it's done. I think I am going to be using multiple distros for different things as there are some programs that I just have to use..

Hopefully it's not going to be such a long time before my next appearance!!

Have a great 2020 folks..

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2020, 09:36:08 AM »
A quote from Princess Leia comes to mind... "The harder you tighten your grip, Governor Tarkin the more star systems will slip through your fingers."

Youtube is pushing people away... will they ever learn?
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!

Offline Ironclaw

• Terminal Multiplexer
  • Staff Member
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2020, 06:05:26 AM »
I'm very much doubting it.   They seem pretty stupid for people who are supposed to be smart.
If you must persist, I will be forced to tar you, then gzip you and finally umount you.