What Device Do you Use to Read the Arch Wiki on?
Welcome, Guest.
The Chatroom is BACK! --Spatry

Author Topic: What Device Do you Use to Read the Arch Wiki on?  (Read 448 times)

Offline gregorylock

• Contributor
What Device Do you Use to Read the Arch Wiki on?
« on: April 05, 2019, 01:38:00 PM »
I'm a little scared to write another post about Arch.

I haven't fully given up yet.  I just haven't been doing anything with the OS, it's self, lately.  Instead I printed a handful of Arch wiki articles.  One thing that came apparent to me is the Arch wiki doesn't lend it's self to paper very well.  Yes you can print it.  However the articles I have don't tell me much of anything, instead they point me to other links.  It's more like links upon Links upon Links.  In fact there is an arch wiki article that explains why this is!  I think you got to be online while your reading it.

Computer Monitors is not the best way for me to read.  The absolute best environment for me to read and understand, is to read from paper in a quiet room.  (That's what I've been doing).

Now we are down to the survey question.  What do you use to read the arch wiki?  An extra computer?  A Tablet?  Let me know down below.

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
Re: What Device Do you Use to Read the Arch Wiki on?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2019, 01:52:26 PM »
Anything you can use to open a web browser works for me... I have used my spare machine and my android phone makes for a nice Arch Wiki reference!
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!

Offline CwF

• Elite Member
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2019, 11:47:42 AM »
Awhile back I started a cherry file cheat sheet. Check out You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login.

First, basic not so obvious basics.
 While Arch Wiki is among the best documentation on the net, there is good info from many sources that is applicable to most any linux, AND there is general and specific info from everywhere that is applicable to NOTHING! This is why DuckDuck is irritating to me without a useful date filter. I usually search for issue fixes only with a recent filter of some kind, like within 1 year.
 Next realize that ALL search engines are as flawed as recent political thinking - it is ordered by POPULARITY with an overriding pay to play placement...In other words, searching is closing in on useless. The answer is on a page references by a page listed on page 17 of the search results.
 The last referenced reference is sitting in front of you. Ask your computer! Learn to use man and info and -h, --help, and dig around with a file manager for readme's and the like. Most distro's package extra documentation as optional, so install some if needed.

So tie it all together! The most readable and printable documentation are the ones made by YOU! So with cherrytree, or some other favored app of the like, start writing your own cheat sheet structured and worded in your way, gathered from wherever you find it. Mine is 3-4MB of all text, requires me to use search it's so big. If you'd like to include screen shots then it will balloon from my tidy size. The magic of doing this is the simple exercise of absorbing info and re-framing it in you mind does wonders for learning. The exercise itself sometimes means you don't need to reference it again. Simply reading it once or twice isn't the same as translating it back out. It's known that simply writing things down imprints memory better than reading it. Go the extra mile and organize your own document and you will recite this stuff in your sleep.

Offline dlw88

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2019, 10:06:48 AM »
The easiest way to be able to reference the Arch installation guide after booting from the live cd ( and assuming that you have an internet connection)
Code: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
# ip link

is to switch to one of 7 ttys that are available. The 7th tty is a GUI (your X desktop session)

Ctrl+Alt+Fn[1-7] 
this will open additional ttys on your monitor that you can switch back and forth from. When logged into the live cd you should be in tty1. 
After switching to tty2 then just type:
# elinks
Now you can switch from tty2 back to tty1 using the Alt+left arrow.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login is a feature-rich text mode web browser that can render both frames and tables and is highly customizable. You might want to try it before using it with the Arch Linux Live cd to get accustomed to how it works. It's a little different than your regular GUI web browsers like Chromium or Firefox. 

Offline Kalthrix

• Staff Member
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2019, 12:11:21 PM »
For the times that I have, I've always read it on my computer. Never a tablet or phone. Although, can say that I've watched Arch-related videos when trying to track down the solution to one of the problems I was having on both phone and tablet. :)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2019, 02:20:51 PM »
I have the Arch wiki bookmarked on Android... I loathe having to tty jump back and forth HA HA... Whatever works best for you, go for it!
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!