MSN and Bing crashing other websites when using Ad Blockers...
Welcome, Guest.

ANNOUNCEMENT:

Click the CHAT button above for connection details. Show up early, seating is limited, late entries will not be registered.

Author Topic: MSN and Bing crashing other websites when using Ad Blockers...  (Read 213 times)

Offline Crimson

• Contributor
  • PC PrimeApe
    • Syndicate Underground
MSN and Bing crashing other websites when using Ad Blockers...
« on: January 14, 2019, 02:31:42 AM »
This may or may not be news to some of you, but today I've discovered a very strange issue with these websites. My mother was complaining that her tabs, and sometimes her whole browser, would crash when she visited some sites using either Chrome, Chromium, and Firefox. This problem was very inconsistent until tonight when I watched what she was doing and noticed that she searches with Bing, from MSN's search bar, then clicks on the website(s) she wants to visit.

I was able to do this consistently when searching "Amazon", then clicking the Ad link for Amazon. What was even more strange is because she has Exede satellite internet, being that the internet is very slow, clicking on the non Ad link gives the same result when you try to search for an item on Amazon before the entire site loads. It crashes the tab, and even the whole browser (if there are no other tabs open). What threw me off is that I boot into a Live Fedora installer, (she's using Ubuntu), and could not duplicate the issue using multiple browsers with adblockers. So naturally, at that time, I thought it was an Ubuntu issue.

However, later when I got home I duplicated this issue on both my Fedora laptop and my Windows 10 rig (which has been collecting dust the past few months). So yet again Microsoft succeeds in showing me how low their tactics can go. Purposely crashing tabs/browsers so they can get their ad revenue. How petty! Simply pathetic!

So, my goal now is to get them off of MSN and Bing. I managed to get them off of Windows, I can do this........I CAN DO THIS!!!!!! LOL!!! I never knew this problem existed because I don't use their website, EVER. I'd like to note that this issue can not be replicated when searching with Google, or other search engines as far as I know.

Here's an article I found, using Google (LOL), that pretty much supports my view...
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Why is it happening?
Msn.com and some other popular websites appear to be escalating the war against ad blockers. First, they began using very aggressive ad technology to sneak ads past users' ad blockers, particularly in Chrome. Now it looks like the sites are intentionally breaking their own pages to force visitors to disable their ad blockers altogether.

So although that bit isn't spot on to the issue I'm experiencing, it still supports the idea that Microsoft is intentionally crashing tabs/browsers in order to get it's users to drop their shields so that they can get an easy buck off of them. Forgive my callousness, but SCREW Microsoft!

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
Re: MSN and Bing crashing other websites when using Ad Blockers...
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2019, 05:45:05 AM »
So now it is the ANTI Ad blocking Anti Site sniff my anti adblocking anti element thingy.... back and forth back and forth
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!

Offline Crimson

• Contributor
  • PC PrimeApe
    • Syndicate Underground
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2019, 02:59:00 AM »
LOL!!! Yup. I knew this sort of thing has been happening for a while, but I didn't associate ads blocking ad blockers blocking ads that block ad blockers to be a factor in CRASHING tabs and browsers. Then again, it makes sense. 

Off Topic: Isn't that something out of a Monty Python skit?

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2019, 07:37:45 AM »
This is the problem...
  • User: adblocker
  • User: Blocker extension for removing anti-adblock nags
  • User: TAB CRASH
It is certainly not easy to block ads on LIVE television and the powers that be want to do the same with the internet... Good luck with that! The only way to ensure ads are seen on your website is to HOST THEM YOURSELF and make them part of the user experience... As long as there will be people who push unwanted media on their websites, there will be those who want to block it.

Offline CwF

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2019, 11:06:46 AM »
Since I have adopted the surplus hardware solution of browser vm's I use bare browsers with nothing. Isolated in a vm with a pause button. I also avoided radar detectors, so much fuss.
On my multi-headed beast it is all pretty transparent with 4-6 clones running nothing but browsers. This maybe doesn't lend itself to low power bare metal machines, yet...Once the vm video drivers fully utilize the host gpu it will be viable for powerful laptops. Currently the solution sucks cpus for video help, sucking up battery in the process, but it works! At least it is a way to allow browsers to misbehave while never having access to the full picture.
I've noticed on broadcast TV Ad's frequently use surround channels. This is annoying and is to grab attention. The flaw in their plan happens when this is happening in the computer, and while watching a stereo program, the surround channels get mixed in at very low levels. So watching surround enabled channels on my setup commercial often go to near silence, nice.

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2019, 11:52:21 AM »
On the rare occasion where I will sit down and watch television with Mum, the MUTE BUTTON comes in handy during commercials so we can talk.

Offline Crimson

• Contributor
  • PC PrimeApe
    • Syndicate Underground
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2019, 03:55:40 PM »
I used to be really good at watching two channels at the same time by using that nifty button on the remote that takes you back to the previous channel. Flipping between two channels when commercials came on was an art.

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2019, 07:01:05 PM »
the Cable company got wise to that so MOST channels show commercials at the same time! Muah ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

Offline Kalthrix

• Staff Member
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2019, 11:21:32 PM »
It's unfortunately a war of many parties, not just Microsoft. Companies like Google are coding their services to perform worse (if not work at all) on Microsoft Edge. Recently found that Microsoft is working to circumvent them doing this by building it on top of Chromium. So, essentially Google would have to break their own project to mess up Edge. Interesting, but kind of a smart move in that sense.

Just tried going to MSN using Firefox 64.0.2 with Betafish "AdBlock" and didn't have any issues. Odd that it is happening for both you and your Mom. Wonder if anything else might be contributing to it?

Offline Crimson

• Contributor
  • PC PrimeApe
    • Syndicate Underground
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2019, 03:11:28 AM »
I also can do it on our shop kiosks and fresh copies of Windows on our clients computers.