Distro HUNT V2 Progress
Welcome, Guest.

Author Topic: Distro HUNT V2 Progress  (Read 499 times)

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
Distro HUNT V2 Progress
« on: November 05, 2018, 09:33:33 AM »
After giving it some thought, I have decided to re-organize Distro Hunt and convert it into an UNBIASED VIDEO LISTING/NEWS component of the Cup of Linux community. Therefore, I will start adding distributions with links to these projects myself. Everything in the TOP 100 from various sources and news sites will be listed over time...

The goal here is to have a VIDEO LISTING SERVICE... sometimes a screenshot is NOT ENOUGH!

This service operates on DONATIONS ONLY. All funds received go back into the Cup of Linux community and will cover the expenses to maintain our servers and possibly upgrade such services as needed.

Volunteers are needed to help maintain the Distro Hunt website. This is a STAFF position, candidates must have research skills. They will be provided with a link to a website and they will need to obtain information to help us list a distribution. DistroHunt uses a KEYWORD system for listing all distributions and this is the information each listing will provide:
  • Distribution name:
  • Website which contains downloads, documentation and support
  • KEYWORDS: desktops offered (Xfce, KDE and more)
  • KEYWORDS: Runs on (Arm, x86, x86_64 and more)
  • KEYWORDS: Type of OS (Linux, BSD or Hurd)
  • KEYWORDS: Type of OS (Beginner, Source, Gaming and more)
I am also considering adding a NEWS module to the site and I will also accept press releases from developers. Suffice it to say, this new version of DistroHunt will be much easier to maintain and that is a Win Win for everyone.
"Wipe that NERVOUS expression off of your face, 3PO!" -General Leia Organa SWTLJ

Offline Dirty Helga

• Malevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Do you feel LUCKY today?
Re: Distro HUNT Maintainer Wanted!
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2018, 11:25:44 AM »
Why over-complicate things? Instead of having a form to fill out. Respondents should only need to supply a link to their website where we may obtain graphics, information and a download to represent their brand. A listing should be as follows:
I say we DITCH the developer guild. Only list active projects. Then the volunteer only needs to fill out a simple template and put it on hold until YOU upload the video and graphics for it Spatry.

If you BREAK the You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login, I WILL SHOOT YOU!

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2018, 11:37:26 AM »
Hmmm... A new layout for listings will certainly make things a LOT easier! Time to give Distro Hunt an overhaul and make this succeed where the original design failed. So we will accept submissions from anyone provided that they supply a link to their website, such domains will need to have sufficient information to fill their request... Graphics, screenshots, downloads and documentation. Anyone who is serious about having their distro made public for mass use should have an established web presence...

Staff members... Any suggestions?

Proposed video content: Show the distribution in use without any commentary reflecting bias of any kind. The approach is to show the software in use only and not offer benchmarks. To achieve this I may opt to only present the live media rather than installing the software. Videos will have the DistroHunt brand displayed for introductory sequences since they will be hosted on the Cup of Linux Channel.
"Wipe that NERVOUS expression off of your face, 3PO!" -General Leia Organa SWTLJ

Offline Crimson

• Contributor
  • PC PrimeApe
    • Syndicate Underground
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2018, 02:29:29 PM »
I like it! Simple always wins in my book. That layout looks clean too.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Dirty Helga

• Malevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2018, 09:29:53 AM »
Here is an IDEA... Start a NEW YouTube channel specifically for Distro Hunt. It will be easy for you to pull in a keel-load of subscribers and then you can keep things separate from Cup of Linux. You have the capability to render out videos rapidly so this is an effective means to develop content for BOTH of your brands. 
If you BREAK the You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login, I WILL SHOOT YOU!

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2018, 09:38:01 AM »
I will need to rework the submission forms so people can suggest a distribution. We will need to have requirements for listing as before. I will contact everyone in the developer guild and ask them if they have updates on their projects. A NEW YT channel and associated graphics will be added. Once I have enough content I will announce the new channel on Cup of Linux. 

Offline Tony

• Experiment with Linux
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2018, 11:15:43 PM »
Awesome! A new channel for DistroHunt! I like the idea...much appreciated.
If i can opt to help in maintaing the DistroHunt directory?
The use of computer is only limited to your imagination.

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2018, 02:22:56 AM »
If i can opt to help in maintaing the DistroHunt directory?
Originally, I planned on editing the php-Fusion build I had in place yesterday and opted for switching to a new CMS for managing the Vlog. Before I can train any volunteers, I will need to have the Video Channel and the website established. I expect this to take a few months before this comes full circle. There is a lot of work to be done in this re-imagining of DistroHunt & I still have commitments to my other projects as well...

Clicking the DistroHunt banner at the top of the page will show you the semi-functional design. Now it is just a matter of adding content to it... Each IsoWatch Video I film in the coming weeks will have an abridged version which will appear on the listing. DH videos will be 2 to 3 minutes on length. Layouts will use a similar plan to the one Helga suggested. <sigh> Why do I even bother to listen to her?

Offline Dirty Helga

• Malevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
Re: Re: Distro HUNT Maintainer Wanted!
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2018, 02:39:42 AM »
<sigh> Why do I even bother to listen to her?
Because a CAPTIVE audience must always pay attention when there is a .44 magnum pressing against your temple...

This is not a request, but a directive. You should only list FINAL distributions, not BETAs or Alphas. This should reduce the number of submissions... Another idea is to require registration in this community in order to submit distribution requests and have a board in this section for that purpose... STAFF MEMBERS should know my reasoning behind this. In order to post a request in the DistroHunt section there will be a 50 post requirement and new users will only be allowed to do 5 posts per day! Ahhhhhhh HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2018, 02:44:32 AM »
Don't you think that is just a teenie weenie bit overkill? Next you will want respondents to wear tinfoil hats with their feet in a bucket of water while sticking their finger in an electrical socket!

Offline Kalthrix

• Staff Member
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2018, 08:06:47 AM »
Hey Spatry, I wouldn't mind helping out with this if needing multiple volunteers. Let me know. I know you've said this won't go into effect here for another few months. However, when everything goes live I'm willing to lend a hand. :)

...and before Helga gets any ideas I don't mean my physical hand. :P

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2018, 11:55:49 AM »
WTG Kalthrix! Thanks! I was hoping that some Cup of Linux Staff members would help out with this... You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login is the link to the NEW DistroHunt Youtube page... I have had this account for YEARS and never used it... I had to open this account when I bought my SGS2 Smartphone... I assigned DistroHunt branding to it and now I will be preparing videos to fill the registry. To save bandwidth and time, I will be using snippets from EXISTING underdogs and IsoWatch episodes.
The banner at the top of the page shows the progress I am making on the NEW DistroHunt. Hopefully this will turn into a nice resource for people to educate themselves about Linux.  As soon as this channel hits 100 subscribers, I will be eligible for a custom URL. I will be adding content to this registry very very soon....

Offline Kalthrix

• Staff Member
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2018, 02:09:39 PM »
No worries at all! Glad to help out. I went ahead and subscribed both of my accounts with the channel to help push towards a custom URL. Definitely let me know when you're ready to get everything up in full swing and I'll jump right in.

Offline Tony

• Experiment with Linux
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2018, 10:53:05 PM »

Originally, I planned on editing the php-Fusion build I had in place yesterday and opted for switching to a new CMS for managing the Vlog. Before I can train any volunteers, I will need to have the Video Channel and the website established. I expect this to take a few months before this comes full circle. There is a lot of work to be done in this re-imagining of DistroHunt & I still have commitments to my other projects as well...
No problem. I understand that it takes much time to re-design website/webpages and start a youtube channel along with other jobs going out there and you don't want other projects to be effected due to one.

Yesterday when i tried to open the DistroHunt page it shows an internal server error but now it seems to be fixed the new layout is nice as well.

Nice to see you Mr. Kalthrix.
The use of computer is only limited to your imagination.

Offline Crimson

• Contributor
  • PC PrimeApe
    • Syndicate Underground
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2018, 08:41:38 AM »
I managed to take a look at the new page this morning, and I love what you did with it so far!

Do you plan on having some sort of file tree like list to help people browse the different distro's? Maybe something like this...