Which Ubuntu based operating system is the best ?
Welcome, Guest.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." -Benjamin Franklin

Author Topic: Which Ubuntu based operating system is the best ?  (Read 11082 times)

Offline 11ryanc

• Artist, writer, open source
Re: Re: Which Ubuntu based operating system is the best ?
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2015, 12:25:24 PM »
Ubuntu isn't really THAT near to debian anymore (although they still are not completely independent) to a point where they often are not compatible.
Yeah. Very often trying to install .deb formats designed for one refuses the other. Sad how poor the rate of packages are on Debian. It's become a very user friendly base system. Just look at SolydK.
"It's a mystery"
Velma -Scooby-Doo

Offline Coastie

Re: Which Ubuntu based operating system is the best ?
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2015, 02:09:18 PM »
... I've researched to how can I upgrade. I've learned there is no way to upgrade (Linux Lite 2.2). I can just have an fresh install. ...

You can upgrade now:

"To upgrade: Install the lite-upgrade-series2 package:

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install lite-upgrade-series2 -y

Upgrading Linux Lite from one version in a Series to the next is simple. ...

Upgrading can only occur within a Series. For example you can upgrade from Linux Lite 2.0 to Linux Lite 2.4, but not from Linux Lite 2.0 to Linux Lite 3.0. If you don't have Lite Upgrade installed open a Terminal and type (see above). Then to update from within a Series, click on Menu, Settings, Lite Upgrade.

Follow the on screen prompts, reboot at the end of the process and you will be completely up to date on Linux Lite."

http://www.linuxliteos.com/forums/release-announcements/linux-lite-2-4-final-released/

Linux Lite gets my vote as its motto says, "Simple, fast, and free" and I would add always improving!

« Last Edit: April 04, 2015, 02:21:57 PM by Coastie »
Left Mac OS X for Linux in Jan 2014.

Offline Luki

• Manjaro Testing
Re: Re: Re: Which Ubuntu based operating system is the best ?
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2015, 04:06:42 PM »
Yet they still pull all their code from debian unstable, even LTS is based on unstable.

Yes and on the contrary the ubuntu guys give the bug fixes back to debian. So there still is a tight symbiosis

Post Merge: April 04, 2015, 04:13:50 PM
Yet they still pull all their code from debian unstable, even LTS is based on unstable.

Yes and on the contrary the ubuntu guys give the bug fixes back to debian. So there still is a tight symbiosis.

Hmm. Best Ubuntu based... Well I really really like Voyager. It is one of those eye candy distros that you can pull up your sleeve when its about selling linux to somebody. My Dad is on linux lite, but I hav noticed that its not so super user friendly when you dont understand english. But thats not the developers fault really. so LL, Voyager and if i had to pull a third one out of my arse it would be Bodhi, because it is the flagship distribution for Enlightment.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2015, 04:13:50 PM by Luki »
#Manjaro @ freenode.org

Offline MadmanRB

• The moose has the sandwich!
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2015, 12:42:55 AM »
My vote goes to Ubuntu MATE, its shaping up to be a really awesome distro in its own right.
Its old school Ubuntu in a new school way.

Offline joejohnston3

• Super Supporter
  • Staff Member
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2015, 02:33:24 AM »
I will also throw Peach OSI in the mix as it is what I am presently running and I love it! Definitely worth a look and not to be disregarded due to the name or misconceptions. I was pleasantly surprised.
Joe Johnston
Linux Lite

Offline ygstr

• crux user
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2015, 09:34:29 PM »
I don't really understand what you mean. Do you mean like whats the best Ubuntu DE. To answer that question its what your most comfortable with and productive with. I wouldn't recommend Elementary OS  the whole project is a mess. They hardly manage the repositories ( and lack of security updates) , before the project was almost entirely coded in python(Now its coded in VALA), It's ui is inspired by OS X aqua which I'm not a huge fan of , and the donation button thing kinda bothered me.
Honestly If I were to recommend something maybe It would probably be a minimal of Debian or Ubuntu. Then apt-get the DE you would like.
Cheers , yungstorm 8)

Offline Rico

« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2015, 12:24:16 PM »
Chalet OS is nice it just needs a bit of what Linux Mint has and that is abilities to change things with ease, (a bit more)...
Bella OS is also nice it needs same as above, but a bit more the Chalet.
Uberstudant will hurt your eyes, I can't explain it, (guess if you need to use glasses like me, make sure you have a good monitor and your eye were prescriptions are recent in order to use Uberstudant).
Ubuntu Mate is developing nicely, just needs a touch of what regular Ubuntu has, a bit of polish, plus green is not for everybody.
Linux Lite has issues, that need addressing, (one of them is that it starts to misbehave if you delate a bit of its bloat were to put in your own bloat were...lol, it get downright unusable to be honest.  
Linux Mint (if you change a bit the theme-green, unless you like it), you can change it, (yea even more changeable then XFCE) and have yourself a stable system...that can do almost anything, its the best so far #1, #2 maybe Ubuntu MateMAYBE!
In Linux Mint I can un-install most software right from the menu NICE and I can put icons for most use programs in the panel NICE, plus I can take out all wallpapers that the Linux team like and put substitues that I' like did i say ALL, yes i did!, you can do this with several distros, you would expect it to be easier with Xubuntu/any XFCE, but not so...its easer with Linux Mint Cinnamon, Linux Mint  Mate or debian are for those that like them i can only speak for Cinnamon.
Chromximium I'm still testing...
Android for x86 I'm testing...
Manjaro is good but needs to go back to a more stable incarnation...don't ask me to explain, cuz its hard to pin down, just try it and you explain it to yourself if you can., same can said about all/most...I will leave Linux Mint in the future most likely, only because the teams love to change things that work to suit things to there personal preferences and make it hard to change things back to your personal preference, when a distro developer uses wallpaper like Makulu does and they are not easy to remove is an example.
When Chalet or Bella make beautiful distros that is a plus, specially to the female members of ones family, so a distro that does this and also makes it possible to do everything (yes-everything) moveble/changeable/and have a lot of possibilities for inclusion and un-inclusion  of apps that will attract many people.  I' make dist copies of Linux Mint that I have remove as an example Thundermail/pidgin/all messengers/and just all software that remembers Window XP and what Microsoft thinks an OS should have or its consider and incomplete OS if it does not have them, those are the type of changes I do, because i use web base software like Gmail, so why to I need Thundermail and thus have less room for other apps for my dist. copy. In Linux Mint I can remove Thunder mail, I can remove most apps of the Libreoffice  suit and just keep those that are used most, that brings the total foot print down, than i add apps that are use more by family members like lightworks, writetype, wide margin, ostorybook and so on...and still have the ISO be less then 4.7 GB's, so you see distros that are easy to do this are in (MY OPINION) best!!!
Can't remember others at the moment, maybe even some that how can I possibly forget but such is forums...

Offline JanBurns

« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2015, 07:27:11 PM »
If, like me, your DE of choice is XFCE, I can heartily recommend both Voyager and ChaletOS.  I've been using the former for just over a year now, and the latter since the start of this year.  They've both proven to be very enjoyable to use and virtually trouble-free.

Offline gosha

« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2015, 01:40:54 PM »
In my opinion I think that Linux Mint is the best distribution out there. I really like it because of how sim0ple it is and how easy it is to use. Later on, perhaps in a few months I will transfer from Windows to Linux and I will install Linux Mint. However I still have a lot of time and I might install something else that I might like more. Another Ubuntu alternative that I like is also Linux Lite, which is very lightweight and stable. The download is also several hundred Megabytes which requires very little space on the disk and little resources. And from the Linux Lite you can customize it and build to your own hearts content. Also keep in mind that I am not a professional as I am currently not using Linux, if any of the information that I said above is not true, I am sorry I'm still a newb. :-\
11:40:22

Edit by Mod: color-correction ;)
« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 02:27:54 PM by JayVii »