POST Guidelines! EVERYONE MUST READ
Welcome, Guest.
We're BACK! Some users will need to upload new avatars to their profile, sorry about that! Registrations are temporarily closed. -Spat

Author Topic: POST Guidelines! EVERYONE MUST READ  (Read 5270 times)

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
POST Guidelines! EVERYONE MUST READ
« on: March 12, 2014, 03:03:10 AM »
It has been brought to my attention that we have some users who are leaving short messages on various topics in order to get their POST numbers up. This is defined as "Post spamming".

Short messages like "I agree", "I have not tried that", "cool" and other little remarks like this DO NOT bring any value to a conversation. Therefore, after a discussion with the Moderators. we are in agreement that having a minimum character limit on forums will encourage users to post "More Meaningful" messages in YOUR topics. This is essential in helping the newcomers who have questions in need of answering or sparking someone's interest in the NEWS articles you wish to share!

The minimum character limit on all boards is 15 words or 75 characters. Use this to add detail to your questions, responses or to quote a selection from the news articles you are presenting.

Another issue we have is DOUBLE POSTING. If there is something you forgot to add to your post, PLEASE use the MODIFY button and add the new information to the existing post rather than making a new one. This is also considered Post Spamming and corrective measures will be taken if we feel this is getting out of hand.

Below are a few sample topics. Each showing the Wrong way and the CORRECT way to post questions, information and responses. RESPONSES SHOULD NEVER CHANGE THE SUBJECT.

Thank you, All of you for your understanding in these matters. With your help, WE can make this one of the best Linux support boards on the internet! Thank you!
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!

Offline Ivan Killemov

• Spatry's Alter-Ego
  • I am Spatry!
    • Spatry's Cup of Linux
Re: POST Guidelines! EVERYONE MUST READ
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 03:33:20 PM »
Sample 1: I just installed "Program X" and it gives me an error when I launch it. Please help!
POSTED IN CATEGORY: GENERAL DISCUSSION

Sample 2: I just installed "Program X" and it gives me this error in the terminal.
Code: [Select]
Error: Dirty Helga is an idiot and does not know how to write software::: Error code 1313 xdg717
device error 171 not found
The operating system I am using is Ubuntu 12.04 LTS Can you please help me?
POSTED IN CATEGORY: UBUNTU BASED

It is obvious that the SECOND example is the proper way to post the question, It gives the software, the error and the system it is running on! This is useful in helping the community to find a solution. Because it is posted in the CORRECT category, others who use an Ubuntu based OS will see this query and provide an answer OR EVEN BETTER, users with the same problem will find the answer to this SOLVED problem and be able to benefit from it!

When your question is answered and resolved PLEASE DO press the modify button on your post and mark it SOLVED! IF you do not understand how to do that, please ask a staff member and we will assist you.
I am here for demonstration and testing purposes only!
"Sprocket's" posts have been re-attributed to ME :)

Offline Dirty Helga

• Malevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Do you feel LUCKY today?
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2014, 04:01:36 PM »
Sample 1: Here is this news article about why Linux is better than Windoes where drivers are concerned http://www.whylinuxisbetter.net/items/drivers/index.php?lang=
POSTED IN: LINUX NEWS

Sample 2: Why Linux is better than Windows where drivers are concerned!
New pieces of hardware, even the simplest kind, usually come with a CD. On the CD, a very small piece of software called a "driver". If you read the instructions manual, you'll know that the hardware won't work on a Windows computer until you install the driver. If you're like most people and do not read the manual, then you'll probably figure it out yourself when you see your new high-tech gizmo doesn't work out of the box.
You can read more about this HERE

POSTED IN: LINUX NEWS

Again, Sample 2 looks more attractive and board members will be more inclined to read the article and discuss it. All it took was a few extra seconds of effort to press the proper BB code button in the text format toolbar when you post... Here is what the code looks like:

Why Linux is better than Windows where drivers are concerned!
[quote]New pieces of hardware, even the simplest kind, usually come with a CD. On the CD, a very small piece of software called a "driver". If you read the instructions manual, you'll know that the hardware won't work on a Windows computer until you install the driver. If you're like most people and do not read the manual, then you'll probably figure it out yourself when you see your new high-tech gizmo doesn't work out of the box.[/quote]
You can read more about this [url=http://www.whylinuxisbetter.net/items/drivers/index.php?lang=]HERE[/url][img]http://www.whylinuxisbetter.net/items/drivers/Images/drivers_thumb_smaller.png[/img]

Moderators may decide to remove topics which look like Sample 1. Adding an image is OPTIONAL but we would like to see a portion of the article quoted before posting a link to your News. If you have questions, please ask a staff member! ALSO SEE the BB code guide in the HELP section located HERE. Thank you.

If you BREAK the RULES, I WILL SHOOT YOU!

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2014, 06:37:54 PM »
SAMPLE Topic: I just installed "Program X" and it gives me this error in the terminal.

Error: Dirty Helga is an idiot and does not know how to write software:::
Error code 1313 xdg717
device error 171 not found

The operating system I am using is Ubuntu 12.04 LTS Can you please help me?
POSTED IN CATEGORY: UBUNTU BASED
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Response !: I newer tried program X, Sorry

Response 2: OH that one is easy! just add the PPA for the updated version and it will work!

Response 3 There is a known issue with "Program X" Which causes errors on any Linux system based on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS. The good new is that there is an updated version which corrects this problem and adds new features. To install the new version you will need to add a PPA. Please copy and paste the following commands into your terminal.
sudo add-apt-repository  ppa:Dhelga/Program-X
sudo apt get update && sudo apt-get install program-x
Once the program installs you may get this error:
Dirty Helga code 1711
erroer12 device found
Should this happen, open a terminal and issue the following command. NOTE: It is not necessary to run this command if you do not see an error.
Sudo init -cdxv program-x You should only have to do this once. Now program X will run correctly. If this resolved your issue, please mark this thread SOLVED.

In this example, responses 1 and 2 are USELESS.
Where response 2 attempts to answer the question the reply is vague and may confuse a newcomer.
Response 3 gives the user a complete answer to their question. It defines the problem, gives a resolution, speaks of a known error after install and finally gives the solution to a problem that MIGHT occur after installation.

Not all answers will be as complex as this one but it gives you a good idea of how to help people when answering their questions. Replies after the solution like "I tried this on Linux Mint 16 and your solution worked for me." is acceptable because it lets people know that this solution can be used on other distributions.
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!