FlatPak Audacity
Welcome, Guest.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." -Benjamin Franklin

Author Topic: FlatPak Audacity  (Read 360 times)

Offline gregorylock

• Contributor
FlatPak Audacity
« on: July 23, 2020, 11:53:09 AM »
Back when I was running Linux Mint 17 something, there was a bug in Audacity.  It effected the way it exported files.  It always wanted to put the wrong extension on the file names.  When I was exporting bunches of audio tracks, this bug really got annoying.  It's always hard to remember details from years ago.  I think this is why I started using the Unofficial PPA for Ubuntu/Linux Mint Which is recommended by audacityteam.org.  This PPA has been a real life savor. I like running the latest version of Audacity.  For that reason I continued to use that PPA.

Since Linux is community maintained, I try to be understanding and patient when things go wrong.  However something went wrong months ago.  The maintainer did not build the latest Audacity correctly.  It was missing some stuff.  People talked about it in the forums, and then some people, including me contacted the maintainer about it.  However I don't understand His solution.  I think what He should of done is put back the latest working deb files from the previous version.  That way people could just role back to that one.  Instead He took the deb file for my system down and never put it back up again. I tried contacting Him about it, and never heard anything.  As a result, I had no choice but to disconnect from the PPA and role all the way back to the version that came with my Distro:  Linux Mint 18.3.

This left me with just two choices.  A) Try building from source or B) Try something alternative.  This is the first time I'm using Flatpaks.  I checked the Flatpak repo and sure enough there was the latest Audacity.  I installed it that way and it seems to be working.  I also tried the Flatpak version on MX Linux 19.2 and Xubuntu 18.04.  For now I'm happy with the Flatpak way.  But I don't know that much about using Flatpaks.  The ups and downs to them.  Today I read this article: https://itsfoss.com/flatpak-guide/ After reading the comments, I do get the impression that flatpaks do give some people trouble...

Do you like flatpaks? or hate flatpaks?  If so why?

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
Re: FlatPak Audacity
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2020, 06:33:20 AM »
Flatpack works under the same principal as Ubuntu Snap packages. It provides a self contained area for an app to run. The ideal way to run an application on your Linux machine is to compile it against your installed shared object libraries. 'Snaps' and 'Flats' give you the compiled binary along with all resources it needs to run. The advantage is you can use different versions of the same program at the same time, I always had a hard time theming programs contained in a snap or flat.

When given a choice, I would prefer to compile the package myself so that I have an application tailored for my system. The only caveat is that when you get system updates, you may need to recompile the software again in order for it to run properly.
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!

Offline gregorylock

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2020, 03:04:39 PM »
Flatpack works under the same principal as Ubuntu Snap packages. It provides a self contained area for an app to run. The ideal way to run an application on your Linux machine is to compile it against your installed shared object libraries. 'Snaps' and 'Flats' give you the compiled binary along with all resources it needs to run. The advantage is you can use different versions of the same program at the same time, I always had a hard time theming programs contained in a snap or flat.

When given a choice, I would prefer to compile the package myself so that I have an application tailored for my system. The only caveat is that when you get system updates, you may need to recompile the software again in order for it to run properly.

Spatry I use Audacity a lot.  As in daily.  Sometimes even twice a day.  I don't think I want to recompile it every time I get a system update.

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2020, 07:51:11 AM »
You would not have to compile it at every update. You would only need to recompile it if you get a shared object error when you try to run the software and it refuses to start... Example of terminal error:
Code: [Select]
error: undefined symbol line 12 in sharedObject4Audacity.so
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!