Really loving Linux today...
Welcome, Guest.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." -Benjamin Franklin

Author Topic: Really loving Linux today...  (Read 1109 times)

Offline Crimson

• Contributor
  • Defeating a sandwich only makes it tastier.
    • «FC» FunHouse Clan
Really loving Linux today...
« on: June 03, 2020, 01:08:57 AM »
...seriously. The new Windows 10 v2004 update is even more forceful with their MS Account garbage. Although I will admit, data backup is a major problem with 99% of people (not a made up figure, seriously, back up your #@$%& data and stop blaming the technician for your lack of responsibility!), and having an MS Account is a great practice for most of these cretins. I still have to say that MS is going WAY too far with their push for MS Accounts. If people don't want it the first time, STOP pushing them into a corner with your continued harassment and unsolicited "advertisements"! *Stop ranting Crimson, this is supposed to be why we love Linux.

I'm so proud and happy to be off the Microsoft bandwagon. Linux doesn't nag us about creating accounts we don't need. Linux doesn't force updates we don't want. Linux gives us control. Linux gives us freedom. Linux gives us choice. Linux doesn't even force us to pay for these liberties. If you've found your distro of choice, consider throwing some coin their way. Those boys work hard for what we sometimes take for granted and they deserve more than what MS TAKES away from people.

I was so furious today while loading up new Windows systems. Whenever you perform a fresh copy of Windows, there's a "Cortana Special" that greats you every time a PC boots Windows after install. "Hey there, I'm Cortana, and I'm here to help." has been pounded into my head so bad I hear that thing in my sleep. Since before the v2004 update, there have been ways to get around the "Would you like to setup a MS account" phase. Now they're all gone! The ONLY way left is to be sure you're not connected to the internet. Even after that, as soon as you connect your local account to the internet, that demon child pops back up from no where and harasses you to switch. Wow! Just.....WOW! Let me do my job please! Jeeze! *Dang it Crimson, you're ranting again!

*SIGH. Anyway, I'm so happy that Linux exists. It's a literal breath of fresh air from the constant bombardment MS calls an operating system. Live Long Linux!
Custom Linux PC Intel® Core™ i7-4790K Radeon™ RX 5700 XT 16GB DDR3 256GB M.2 NVMe 5.5TB Storage

Offline Kalthrix

• Contributor
Re: Really loving Linux today...
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2020, 01:30:33 PM »
Only way you can create a local account now without first setting up a Microsoft account. Drives me crazy. Now that you're online...smh

Also, forced PIN creation. Used to be optional to close out that of that prompt and just use your password. Hasn't been for some time. Just tick the checkbox to use an alphanumeric phrase and set it to literally the same thing as my password. Whomever thought that a PIN by itself (not used in combination with a password) was secure should seriously be fired as they have literally no clue about security. Also, why forced? Why can't that be optional? I don't want a PIN. The whole concept of forcing users to create a PIN is stupid!  >:(

Fortunately, only have to deal with Windows on my work computer. Have been through the process numerous times and it just supports my opinion that Linux is ultimately the better choice.

Offline CwF

• Elite Member
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2020, 02:37:46 PM »
Interesting. I made some comments on building old XP installs for custom purpose in that other thread...I suppose that's impossible now? Can one install whatever current windows on an offline computer? I haven't bought a computer with anything preinstalled since 1992. Perhaps I should ask if regular people even use an offline computer?

Offline Kalthrix

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2020, 07:00:42 PM »
Interesting. I made some comments on building old XP installs for custom purpose in that other thread...I suppose that's impossible now? Can one install whatever current windows on an offline computer? I haven't bought a computer with anything preinstalled since 1992. Perhaps I should ask if regular people even use an offline computer?

It's still possible to install Windows 10 offline with a local account. OOBE just pesters you with creating a Microsoft account and then asks again confirming that you wanted to create a "limited account". After, you're good though... until it hits the internet the first time. OOBE will relaunch "Now that you're connected..." and bother you one final time about logging in with a Microsoft account. If you do, it will convert the local account to an online account tied to your Microsoft account. If not, the message is gone supposedly forever. At least haven't had it come back up.

Still kind of annoying how much they're pushing it though, and that was with 1909. Supposedly, per Crimson it's even worse now. 2004 is blocked in my work environment, so might have to see what's changed on one of my spare laptops.:(

Offline Crimson

• Contributor
    • «FC» FunHouse Clan
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2020, 07:32:39 PM »
I'm not sure if it's worse, but it certainly is more noticeable and in your face about it. I mean, when Microsofts own update tool gets blocked by their own built in anti virus program, you know something's wrong.

On the other hand, I just had a customer walk in today, purchased a Lenovo Yoga 12, and requested Ubuntu be put on it. Haven't had that happen in a long time. And this wasn't some geeky dude either, it was a middle aged mother needing the laptop to better manage her Google Drive without being limited like she currently is on her Chromebook. Linux lover!? Manages her own data!? Kudos to you lady, you got it!
Custom Linux PC Intel® Core™ i7-4790K Radeon™ RX 5700 XT 16GB DDR3 256GB M.2 NVMe 5.5TB Storage

Offline DQSII

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2020, 02:25:53 AM »
Ive got my few windows programs contaned in wine so i have no need to rely on microsofts os when i installed the may 2004 upgrade it bricked my system and made it constantly lockup and kinda irritated me so i installed debian with luks and lvm and got my few peices of windows software working in wine

Offline eronis

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2020, 05:18:15 PM »
I don't really care what MS wants me to do. I just ignore all that and focus on the work. At least I try to. Oh boy, MS Office is ****. My university gave me free Office 365, and I can say this with full confidence: it is the single worst thing for freewriting and thesis writing.
The Linux philosophy is 'Laugh in the face of danger'. Oops. Wrong One. 'Do it yourself'. Yes, that's it. --Linus Torvalds

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2020, 10:03:04 AM »
I can say this with full confidence: it is the single worst thing for freewriting and thesis writing.
Just be grateful they did not give you a stone tablet and a chisel! There are so many great alternatives. <ducking to avoid the punches I will get for saying this> I am using Google DOCS for when I want to compose a letter just because I do not want to install a whole office suite... why can't they make a GREAT standalone word processor? All of the ones I have tried really stink... he he he.
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!

Offline Crimson

• Contributor
    • «FC» FunHouse Clan
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2020, 02:29:48 PM »
Dude, there is nothing wrong with liking Google Docs. We use it every day for work and I use it in my personal life as well. It's an example of GOOD software that was well thought out.

Offline Kalthrix

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2020, 12:45:46 PM »
Dude, there is nothing wrong with liking Google Docs. We use it every day for work and I use it in my personal life as well. It's an example of GOOD software that was well thought out.

Would have to agree with this. I use it for work (on certain items) and home use. Different workflow, will take a little bit to get used to it, but offers a solid experience compared to others services and without a subscription. Best yet, if you for some reason need to export it to a Word document, it's totally possible and I haven't yet run into any issues with formatting. ;D

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2020, 10:42:55 AM »
Yes... as I am aware, G-Docs does have some compatibility with M$ documents, I do not know how complete that compatibility is. I am not certain if I would be able to edit a PPD or XLS and save in that same format without losing data. It would be great if it does!
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!

Offline Ironclaw

• Terminal Multiplexer
  • Staff Member
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2020, 06:25:21 PM »
This kind of crap is why I quit working in I.T.  I got really tired of Microsoft's crap, and that was way back in 2000.
If you must persist, I will be forced to tar you, then gzip you and finally umount you.