ReactOS
Welcome, Guest.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." -Benjamin Franklin

Author Topic: ReactOS  (Read 499 times)

Offline gregorylock

• Contributor
ReactOS
« on: June 14, 2020, 12:24:48 PM »
I'm only writing this since ReactOS has been suggested to me.  I realize that people here didn't know that I already had tried ReactOS and got nowhere with it.  ReactOS has been stuck in Alpha for a long time.  ReactOS tells you what VirtualBox version they want you to install it on.  They want version 5.2.38 and they say that 6.x brings out some of their bugs or something like that.  Well I got it to install into 6.1.  Beyond that I don't know what I'm doing.  Anyways after reading that they demand 5.2.38 I realize that I'm VirtualBox is tied into my system and I have lots of other virtual machines installed.  It just doesn't seem worth it, to mess with downgrading VirtualBox just so I can poke around with ReactOS.  Secondly ReactOS will not install onto my test machine.  It was suggested I ask about this in the forums.  I am here to report that I did just that.

https://reactos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=19982

I can not remember exactly how I was doing everything before.  But I can tell you know how things are behaving.

On Version is 0.4.13. It doesn't go past: "Please wait while the ReactOS Setup initializes itself and discovers your devices" It sat that way for a half hour! However the Live version 0.4.13 does work.

It was suggested that I try a later build.  This the latest build I could find.

reactos-livecd-0.4.15-dev-382-g3cb8ee6-x86-gcc-lin-dbg: It runs.
reactos-bootcd-0.4.15-dev-382-g3cb8ee6-x86-gcc-lin-dbg: freezes up on "Please wait while the ReactOS Setup initializes itself and discovers your devices"

I could start taking the test machine apart and see if I could find what device is holding up.  Is it really worth doing all of that?  In my opinion ReactOS is crap.

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
Re: ReactOS
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2020, 07:29:47 AM »
It has stayed in Alpha for so long because they do not have the development resources other projects may have. Considering it's ranking on Distrowatch and what that developer is trying to achieve, I consider it to be a tremendous effort. Consider, they are trying to make an open sourced Windows compatible operating system WITHOUT any M$ source code. That involves a lot of work and reverse engineering to get things to perform in a way the end user expects.
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!

Offline gregorylock

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2020, 01:18:41 PM »
It has stayed in Alpha for so long because they do not have the development resources other projects may have. Considering it's ranking on Distrowatch and what that developer is trying to achieve, I consider it to be a tremendous effort. Consider, they are trying to make an open sourced Windows compatible operating system WITHOUT any M$ source code. That involves a lot of work and reverse engineering to get things to perform in a way the end user expects.

True!  But one does not get very far when your having issues like this.

Offline Linux Lounge

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2020, 03:23:01 PM »
True!  But one does not get very far when your having issues like this.

totally agreed, the main thing ReactOS need to focus on right now is hardware support, because at the moment it's really nowhere near good enough yet

Offline gregorylock

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2020, 04:15:09 PM »
They wanted me to take that picture for a bug report.  I have mixed feelings about filing bug reports.  My problem is, I'm a member of a lot of different Linux forums.  According to my calculations, I'm currently a member of 35.  I have a hard time keeping the "rules" straight in 35 different forums!  I think I got the bug report done good enough for them.  But they got a wikipage about filing bugs reports and it's fairly lengthy.  I'm not faulting them for it.  But it does make getting the job done harder.

In case your curious about my bug report.  I'm providing a link to it.  I hope they read it carefully because I got my system specs from MX Linux 19.1 because I didn't know how to generate those specs from the ReactOS 0.4.13 Live CD.

https://jira.reactos.org/browse/CORE-17135