Possessed Monitor
Welcome, Guest.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." -Benjamin Franklin

Author Topic: Possessed Monitor  (Read 357 times)

Offline Crimson

• Contributor
  • Defeating a sandwich only makes it tastier.
    • «FC» FunHouse Clan
Possessed Monitor
« on: June 15, 2020, 04:57:09 AM »
I'm having a weird phenomenon happening to me and I can't seem to figure it out. Every night for the past week or two, my monitor (Sony Bravia TV) has been shutting itself off between 3:30AM and 4:00AM. I JUST caught it doing it this time at 3:41AM, and it only happens during this time.

At first it felt like the TV was dying, but given that it ONLY happens at a specific time tells me that there's a setting somewhere. I haven't duplicated the issue outside of being on my computer, so I guess I'll have to pick a night and try it out watching TV or playing a console to rule out a bad TV and/or TV setting.

My hunch tells me that there's a setting in Ubuntu that's triggering it to shut off. I have XScreensaver, but it's disabled at the moment, as well as Caffeine (which SHOULD have prevented this from happening). GNOME power settings are set to "Never", so I'm at a loss? Has anyone ran into something like this before?
Custom Linux PC Intel® Core™ i7-4790K Radeon™ RX 5700 XT 16GB DDR3 256GB M.2 NVMe 5.5TB Storage

Offline CwF

• Elite Member
Re: Possessed Monitor
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2020, 10:49:32 AM »
Interesting.
I can't say it's related, and maybe to much to explain, but I have things that 'listen' to incoming AC and a little over a week ago things got noisy.  For the most part I think it's in my own rats nest, but for a few days now I'm not so sure. One particular gadget has been cycling a few relays every few hours in the late evening and the early morning...I don't have a way to 'talk back' at the moment...
Interesting

Offline Crimson

• Contributor
    • «FC» FunHouse Clan
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2020, 03:30:00 PM »
I too have a bit of a rats nest. Last night I unplugged the cable box just in case that's sending a shut down command to the TV through HDMI. We'll have to see.
Custom Linux PC Intel® Core™ i7-4790K Radeon™ RX 5700 XT 16GB DDR3 256GB M.2 NVMe 5.5TB Storage

Offline Crimson

• Contributor
    • «FC» FunHouse Clan
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2020, 08:55:44 AM »
Looks like that was it. TV didn't shut down last night. Good to know that ComCast overrides your TV settings and tells you when it's okay to have the TV on.

Offline CwF

• Elite Member
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2020, 12:22:01 PM »
Comcast - cut the cord! If you live near a large metro you might want to check out an antenna!

Over the last few years broadcast TV just keeps getting better. The quality can actually be better with more bandwidth.

My hauppauge quad tuner works so well I recently got a second one since they are hard to find in stock. And it runs well under Linux.

Offline Crimson

• Contributor
    • «FC» FunHouse Clan
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2020, 12:29:18 PM »
Nah, I'll just unplug the dang thing. I don't watch TV in this room anyway, but we do in the other rooms. This box was free with our package, so might as well have it ready for the rare chance I'd want to watch something in here. My Brother works for Comcast so all this stuff is basically free. It's amazing!