Wine, Playonlinux, and RealFlight G2
Welcome, Guest.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." -Benjamin Franklin

Author Topic: Wine, Playonlinux, and RealFlight G2  (Read 1231 times)

Offline gregorylock

• Contributor
Wine, Playonlinux, and RealFlight G2
« on: May 17, 2020, 07:12:27 PM »
Xubuntu 18.04

I tried to install my RealFlight G2 Simulator with Wine.  Everything seemed to be going ok, but I got a DirectX error.  I continued working with it.  Then when it was time to try running it, it tried to access z:/media/gregory/RFV2.  For some reason it couldn't access it.

Playonlinux also gave me a DirectX error.  But it did access the CD Rom drive.  However I couldn't the program to run.

I'm too new to using Wine or Playonlinux.  Therefor I don't know of anyways to get around problems. 

Offline Ironclaw

• Terminal Multiplexer
  • Staff Member
Re: Wine, Playonlinux, and RealFlight G2
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2020, 08:06:05 PM »
From what I can see on winehq, it looks like ever version before G5 has a garbage rating.
If you must persist, I will be forced to tar you, then gzip you and finally umount you.

Offline gregorylock

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2020, 08:35:34 PM »
From what I can see on winehq, it looks like ever version before G5 has a garbage rating.

I'm very very very new to Wine or Playonlinux.  I never thought I would ever try to use these at all.  But the computer I want to run RealFlight on cannot virtualize.  It's got enough power to run Windows XP ontop of Xubuntu Linux, but the processor is not designed for Virtualization.  I decided to try Wine or Playonlinux.  I don't think I installed WineHQ.  I installed the Wine that is in the Repos.

Mine is a really old one.  It's G2.  When I did a search, nobody posted anything about G2.  Is this what you found?  WineHQ RealFlight

Offline Ironclaw

• Terminal Multiplexer
  • Staff Member
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2020, 08:39:33 PM »
Well, they all use wine at one point or another which is why I checked the wine project's database.  That means that you're not likely to have very much luck with playonlinux, lutris, wine, codeweavers or anything else of the sort as they're all essentially the same codebase.

Wine does a wonderful job for lots of programs, but there are some that will probably never work.
If you must persist, I will be forced to tar you, then gzip you and finally umount you.

Offline gregorylock

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2020, 10:04:55 PM »
Well, they all use wine at one point or another which is why I checked the wine project's database.  That means that you're not likely to have very much luck with playonlinux, lutris, wine, codeweavers or anything else of the sort as they're all essentially the same codebase.

Wine does a wonderful job for lots of programs, but there are some that will probably never work.

I don't like it that they refer to this program as a game.  People use it to practice flying.  Then they go out and actually fly.  But oh well...

It's the only important program I need to try and get working.

Today I even tried to install Windows XP onto a USB Thumb drive.  Wouldn't boot.

Last year I was able to get the RealFlight to run on one computer in VirtualBox.  Of course in 30 days that install was no good anymore.

I was going to install Windows XP on a hard drive.  Currently I'm all out of hard drives.

Offline gregorylock

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2020, 07:37:37 AM »
I found this today.  codeweavers Real Flight G3

Offline Ironclaw

• Terminal Multiplexer
  • Staff Member
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2020, 09:31:04 AM »
Might work, I don't know.  I haven't had a codeweavers subscription for a while.

Offline gregorylock

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2020, 12:00:18 PM »
Might work, I don't know.  I haven't had a codeweavers subscription for a while.

I downloaded the 14 day free trial.  I'm trying to understand WINE better.
The way I tried is:
Code: [Select]
wine setup.exe
Since wine almost worked, and playonlinux did a little better.  It feels like I don't have the configuration correct.  I'm not saying that if I got that correct the flight simulator will work perfectly.  But I think it should at least install and try to run.  This was written for Windows XP.

Chris Titus Tech has done a few WINE videos.  I managed to watch one, and It does appear that I don't know how to setup and use the WINE command line.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmOdA5GeSqs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hg01Z6VCox0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lI09QLkqZiE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3b0w2yEo34

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJ5PKkhl6vw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKZfqmjUyBc

Offline Kalthrix

• Staff Member
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2020, 12:50:52 PM »
Might work, I don't know.  I haven't had a codeweavers subscription for a while.

Can always give it a shot with Deepin since it comes bundled with a licensed copy of Codeweavers Crossover Office. Maybe first in a VM just to make sure it even works before making any decisions on buying a copy for a different distro or any changes to his current setup.

Offline gregorylock

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2020, 01:01:31 PM »
Can always give it a shot with Deepin since it comes bundled with a licensed copy of Codeweavers Crossover Office. Maybe first in a VM just to make sure it even works before making any decisions on buying a copy for a different distro or any changes to his current setup.

Deepin has a copy of it?  That's a little strange isn't it?

Offline Kalthrix

• Staff Member
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2020, 09:37:20 PM »
Deepin has a copy of it?  That's a little strange isn't it?

Sure does. Originally, I thought the same and reached out to Codeweavers to let them know about the distro distributing their software. Apparently, they have an agreement with them. 

Still have the email from their support team. See below:

Offline gregorylock

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2020, 02:22:20 PM »

Today I finally got into Deepin Crossover:
Deepin 15.11
Crossover 18.5.0

Deepin does not come with a registered version of Crossover.  On first launch I got a message saying.  "CrossOver Trial:  To fully enable this trial install of CrossOver, click on the 'Registry' button below.  This install will stop working in 15 days.

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2020, 09:54:54 AM »
Stop the presses! I guess they only had a full version for a limited time... I know I expressed concern about Crossover being included in Deepin and not other distros. You are probably better off purchasing crossover for your distribution of choice. It is my understanding that Crossover contributes a lot to the WINE project and that is the best way to support WINE. When support ends, you can still keep and use the version of Crossover you paid for. Personally, I had better success with Wine (or Proton) and Play on Linux. Crossover does what it says on the box and they have decent support on their boards. You may wish to read through their website before dropping some coin if it is a concern for you.
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!

Offline gregorylock

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2020, 10:39:55 AM »
Stop the presses! I guess they only had a full version for a limited time... I know I expressed concern about Crossover being included in Deepin and not other distros. You are probably better off purchasing crossover for your distribution of choice. It is my understanding that Crossover contributes a lot to the WINE project and that is the best way to support WINE. When support ends, you can still keep and use the version of Crossover you paid for. Personally, I had better success with Wine (or Proton) and Play on Linux. Crossover does what it says on the box and they have decent support on their boards. You may wish to read through their website before dropping some coin if it is a concern for you.

It doesn't seem that my Flight Simulator works on Crossover.  I don't know what I'm doing.  But it seemed to be installing ok.  Then the second half of the install seemed to go ok.  After that it wouldn't run.  Here is what I found on the codeweavers forum

Here what  Roger L. Olson said about my version G2 Posted 2009-08-12 14:30

But this is the error I received. 

Error: E_INVALIDARG
File: I:\kelib2a\DirectX
\DXDirectSound.ccp
Line: 102

I decided to try installing Windows XP into VirtualBox.  Last year I discovered a trick to making it work there.  This year I can't make the same trick work.  I worked with it for many hours, trial and error.  Just doesn't seem to work like that anymore.  I ended up just wiping Deepin and installing Windows XP and then I had to go through the mess of searching for Windows XP drivers.  I got most of it working, but still there was somethings missing.  Even the manufactures website didn't seem to have every driver.  But the Flight Simulator will run for 30 days, and then whole system will need wiped again, and everything re installed.

Offline CwF

• Elite Member
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2020, 11:20:52 AM »
...  But the Flight Simulator will run for 30 days, and then whole system will need wiped again, and everything re installed.
Note:
1. If you ever want to make a tailored install iso with all drivers, updates, and programs pre-installed let me know...
2. Without the magic of qemu-kvm you can still use the imaging utilities = MAKE A FREAKING IMAGE!
2a. Get serious and just use qemu-kvm.
3. The registration can be reset 3 times, that's 90 days not 30.
4. On the night of day 90, reinstall from the custom iso, or simply copy a new disk image.
4a. reset the registration right before you make the image and no time passes, next boot in 100 years gives you 30 days, plus the last 30!