DosBox
Welcome, Guest.
“Theory and practice sometimes clash. And when that happens, theory loses. Every single time.” ― Linus Torvalds

Author Topic: DosBox  (Read 278 times)

Offline gregorylock

• Contributor
DosBox
« on: April 10, 2020, 05:01:31 PM »
I've been experimenting with DosBox.  So far I got Windows 3.11 and Tetris working it.  Then I got the old Tank game Scorched Earth working too.  But I need to watch some DosBox tutorial videos so that I start to expand my knowledge.

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
Re: DosBox
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2020, 12:40:19 PM »
<sigh> Oh the good old DOS days... I remember using GEM before I dug my hands into Windows... And of course, there were a bunch of good old games for dos too, I imagine most people are using dosbox for legacy gaming but it could also come in handy to run old dos based spreadsheet programs. Have fun with it.
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!

Offline gregorylock

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2020, 10:23:31 AM »
<sigh> Oh the good old DOS days... I remember using GEM before I dug my hands into Windows... And of course, there were a bunch of good old games for dos too, I imagine most people are using dosbox for legacy gaming but it could also come in handy to run old dos based spreadsheet programs. Have fun with it.

Today I played Scorch with my 70 year old Dad.  It was probably back in the mid 1990's when we played it last.  I forgot how quickly He beats me.  He has not lost his touch!  I'm not sure if I should smile or cry.  ???

Offline CwF

• Elite Member
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2020, 06:10:11 PM »

Offline gregorylock

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2020, 11:17:10 AM »
@Spatry

I had to take time to read that GEM wiki.  It looks familiar.  My first computer had DR DOS 6.0 on it.  I remember finding a graphic shell that looked a lot like GEM.  At the time I wasn't impressed because I was learning Windows 3.1, and didn't see any good use for it.

New and improved!? and Native Linux Port!

https://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=Xscorch&searchon=names&suite=all&section=all&sourceid=mozilla-search

I tried installing xscorch on Xubuntu 18.04.  I used the repos and  when I tried to run it.  It crashed instantly!  I found a deb package for Ubuntu 19.04 and tried installing it.  The game appeared to be working.  But I have no idea how to make it full screen etc.  The new menus are a lot more involved then they were on the old DOS version.

Yesterday I downloaded a bunch of free Dos Games from dosgamesarchive.com I never heard of any of these.  I've been using virustotal.com to check them for viruses.