distrowatch crap rankings
Welcome, Guest.
“Theory and practice sometimes clash. And when that happens, theory loses. Every single time.” ― Linus Torvalds

Author Topic: distrowatch crap rankings  (Read 459 times)

Offline farevildee

• Tyrannical Rule Enforcer
  • Staff Member
  • Linux is learning and freedom
distrowatch crap rankings
« on: February 19, 2020, 06:29:09 PM »
As you all know, Distrowatch rankings are bugged to benefit them. nothing wrong with making money. it's the creators of the distro's on there who get shafted. so Derek from distrotube. he posted a video about this and asking everyone in the linux community to help him, by going to distrowatch and the distro he has chosen too use is Arch linux. so go to the distrowatch page and click the Arch link and then the web link.

https://youtu.be/Y_X1w04ZUQk
Friends don't let friends use WIndows or Mac OS.

Offline Crimson

• Contributor
  • Defeating a sandwich only makes it tastier.
    • «FC» FunHouse Clan
Re: distrowatch crap rankings
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2020, 01:13:05 PM »
Here's the thing, I can't find anywhere on DistroWatch's website that claims their ranking system is a end all be all official distro ranking entity. Nor do I find anything they provide misleading in anyway. It is the readers fault for ASSUMING this is the case. He even said so himself in his own video that these are PAGE HITS, not rankings. How is this not clearer?

As an Arch fan, I'm quite shocked that he's not reading the manual, so to speak.

If he's upset at writers for twisting up words to make DistroWatch seem like this official ranking entity, then shouldn't he direct his efforts to condemning them instead?

Whatever, that's just like, my opinion man.

P.S. I clicked on Arch's DistroWatch page for funzies anyway. (I like breaking things)
Custom Linux PC Intel® Core™ i7-4790K Radeon™ RX 5700 XT 16GB DDR3 256GB M.2 NVMe 5.5TB Storage

Offline farevildee

• Staff Member
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2020, 01:39:14 PM »
he wasn't implying that he was just saying there are other distro's out there that deserve there time in the spotlight but aren't getting do to the nature and the way the ranking system is set up. he was saying other people where thinking it's the holy grail of linux distro's. figuratively speaking lol. 

Offline Crimson

• Contributor
  • Defeating a sandwich only makes it tastier.
    • «FC» FunHouse Clan
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2020, 08:22:03 PM »
I apologize, I've been sick lately and I'm on hyped up on NyQuil. I guess I misunderstood the video, it makes sense in that light, though. I still think it'd be funny to break DistroWatch by spamming Arch's page.
Custom Linux PC Intel® Core™ i7-4790K Radeon™ RX 5700 XT 16GB DDR3 256GB M.2 NVMe 5.5TB Storage

Offline farevildee

• Staff Member
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2020, 10:42:59 PM »
that's what linux users like too do for fun crimson lol.