[SOVLED]Gaming in Virtual Box? How do you get the proper video drivers working?
Welcome, Guest.
“Theory and practice sometimes clash. And when that happens, theory loses. Every single time.” ― Linus Torvalds

Author Topic: [SOVLED]Gaming in Virtual Box? How do you get the proper video drivers working?  (Read 943 times)

Offline gregorylock

• Contributor
If you have any suggestions for me please let me know.

I decided to try installing Windows XP 32 Bit into VirtualBox Version 5.2.18_Ubuntu r123745.  That way I could also install my old Radio Controlled Model Airplane flight simulator.  It's called Real Flight G2.  I got the extension pack and guest additions installed.  I even got the USB to read my controller.  But I can't seem to get the Video Card to work.  The Flight Simulator complains that I'm using the Reference Driver instead of HAL.  HAL is not available, so it won't run I guess...  After that I tried to search to find out if one could install this old simulator into wine.  I found a post from several years ago saying that you can't.  I did find this:  https://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/crossover/tips/real-flight-g3/g2-g3-installation-tips-for-linux-users

« Last Edit: July 21, 2019, 08:31:09 PM by gregorylock »

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
The "no hardware-accelerated" message is common in virtualbox. Gaming on Virtualbox is IFFY at best... in many cases, 3D and OpenGL performance will be substandard. This is due to the fact that your actual hardware (cpu) is doing the legwork rather than using a graphic interface. IF you absolutely MUST game in a VM, your next best option is to use the VMWare player which is free for personal use. VMware has much better performance than Virtualbox. 

If you can satisfy all of the dependencies, you can try running the simulator in WINE... I have a video showing how you can use Steam's Proton within Playonlinux. That is the route I would go as it appears you will need GPU acceleration for that game. I am at work (on break presently) and I was unable to find specific system requirements for the software... usually, the dependencies are loaded on the install media such as vcrun, dotnet and more. The playonlinux debugger is useful when trying to get programs working... missing DLL errors give you hints for what you need to install to get the software running...

Good luck.
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!

Offline gregorylock

• Contributor
I probably can't run VMware on this computer.

Offline farevildee

• Tyrannical Rule Enforcer
  • Staff Member
  • Linux is learning and freedom
in another time and another world gregorylock is cussing at the top of his lungs lol. that folks is why i hate intel processors.
Friends don't let friends use WIndows or Mac OS.

Offline gregorylock

• Contributor
in another time and another world gregorylock is cussing at the top of his lungs lol. that folks is why i hate intel processors.

I ran the flight simulator on a really old Pentium 2 with 256 megs of ram.  Then I ran it on this computer running Vista.  Back then it only had 2 gigs of rams.  Now it has 4 gigs of ram.  That is why I thought I could get by with making it run in virtual box.  It really looked like it was going to!  But thanks to the video driver issue in Virtual box I can't.  I guess I'm just going to install windows xp onto an extra hard drive and run it that way.

Offline fchaos

• Contributor
I ran the flight simulator on a really old Pentium 2 with 256 megs of ram.  Then I ran it on this computer running Vista.  Back then it only had 2 gigs of rams.  Now it has 4 gigs of ram.  That is why I thought I could get by with making it run in virtual box.  It really looked like it was going to!  But thanks to the video driver issue in Virtual box I can't.  I guess I'm just going to install windows xp onto an extra hard drive and run it that way.

yeah, unless you can find a virtualization software other than VirtualBox or VMWare...

VirtualBox doesn't have "pass=thru" video... you are forced to use a "virtual video card"... so it's likely not to work with any software that needs direct control of the video card.

Offline gregorylock

• Contributor
yeah, unless you can find a virtualization software other than VirtualBox or VMWare...

VirtualBox doesn't have "pass=thru" video... you are forced to use a "virtual video card"... so it's likely not to work with any software that needs direct control of the video card.

I was really surprised by how heavy VMware is.  2 Ghz Processor and 4 Gigs of memory is the requirement.

Offline Crimson

• Contributor
  • Defeating a sandwich only makes it tastier.
    • «FC» FunHouse Clan
The ONLY way to game in a virtual environment is utilizing pass through technology. I got it working once, but due to my distro hopping ways, I scrapped the whole thing in favor of running the machine with XBox10 (Windows 10). I've since set the PC aside because I barely game anymore.

You really need a second gen i5 or better to do this, and a second graphics card will be helpful. 4GBs of RAM is NOT enough, you need at LEAST 8GB to game virtually. I used Virtual Machine Manager, straight out of Ubuntu's software center. I remember there was a few things that had to be tweaked, but I've since forgotten.

The thing I remember most, though, is that after all that work, it really wasn't even worth the trouble. After all, you're still running Windows. I say save yourself the trouble and headache, and make yourself an "XBox" for those games you can't be without, and have a dedicated Linux machine for real computer use.

Now aside from gaming, Virtual Machines are AMAZING tools for that certain software you just can't get running properly in WINE. Shoot, I even had a rig setup with several virtual machines running Halo PC servers and one Clan Forum.
Custom Linux PC Intel® Core™ i7-4790K Radeon™ RX 5700 XT 16GB DDR3 256GB M.2 NVMe 5.5TB Storage

Offline gregorylock

• Contributor
I don't need anything powerful to run the flight simulator, I own.  Currently I have an old Dell Vostro 400 dual core running Windows XP and the Flight Sim.  I only get 30 days on Windows XP.

Post Merge: July 21, 2019, 07:44:54 PM
I CAN'T BELIEVE IT!  I got the flight simulator to run under Windows Xp in VirtualBox Version 6.0.10 r132072 (Qt5.9.5)  On this machine!

Code: [Select]
System:    Host: Family-DG965OT Kernel: 4.15.0-54-generic x86_64 bits: 64 gcc: 7.4.0
           Desktop: Xfce 4.12.3 (Gtk 2.24.31) Distro: Ubuntu 18.04.2 LTS
Machine:   Device: desktop System: MapleTronics product: DG965OT v: VIIV serial: N/A
           Mobo: Intel model: DG965OT v: AAD63733-205 serial: N/A
           BIOS: Intel v: MQ96510J.86A.1754.2008.1117.0002 date: 11/17/2008
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core2 6400 (-MCP-) arch: Conroe rev.2 cache: 2048 KB
           flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 8525
           clock speeds: max: 2128 MHz 1: 2105 MHz 2: 2102 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel 82G965 Integrated Graphics Controller bus-ID: 00:02.0
           Display Server: x11 (X.Org 1.19.6 ) drivers: modesetting (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
           Resolution: 1280x1024@60.02hz
           OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel 965G version: 2.1 Mesa 19.0.2 Direct Render: Yes
Audio:     Card Intel 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.15.0-54-generic
Network:   Card: Intel 82566DC Gigabit Network Connection
           driver: e1000e v: 3.2.6-k port: 20e0 bus-ID: 00:19.0
           IF: enp0s25 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 540.7GB (24.4% used)
           ID-1: /dev/sdb model: Hitachi_HDP72502 size: 250.0GB
           ID-2: /dev/sda model: Crucial_CT275MX3 size: 275.1GB
           ID-3: USB /dev/sdc model: Cruzer_Glide size: 15.7GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 252G used: 91G (38%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda1
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 65.0C mobo: N/A
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info:      Processes: 197 Uptime: 6:58 Memory: 2372.6/3871.0MB Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 7.4.0
           Client: Shell (bash 4.4.201) inxi: 2.3.56

Yesterday I updated Virtualbox to 6.0 and today I started up my Windows Xp and found that it wanted to update the guest additions.  I had to boot into safe mode and install the guest additions with the 3D Enabled.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2019, 07:44:54 PM by gregorylock »

Offline gregorylock

• Contributor
Today I tried to install Windows XP into Virtualbox 6.1.8, on my i5 computer.  I tried to boot windows xp into safe mode and install guest additions.  For some reason it won't let me check mark Direct 3D support (Experimental)