my HP ELITEBOOK 2540p get major boost with SSD
Welcome, Guest.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." -Benjamin Franklin

Author Topic: my HP ELITEBOOK 2540p get major boost with SSD  (Read 3085 times)

Offline Crimson

• Contributor
  • Defeating a sandwich only makes it tastier.
    • «FC» FunHouse Clan
Re: my HP ELITEBOOK 2540p get major boost with SSD
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2020, 01:15:08 AM »
I've been building and rebuilding PC's for well over 10 years and I've done the ODD to HDD/SSD caddy trick a few times on various machines without any issues. It's true, if you can boot from a CD/DVD then why not a HDD/SSD in place of the ODD? Just remember to tweak your boot order in BIOS.

BTW, I'm very cautious when flipping through big name forums for one main reason, the VAST demographic of these "Experts". I don't want to sound mean, but I'm pretty sure these are the same people that come to my shop demanding we unlock the MS Account they swear up and down they never setup.

I can't tell you how many times I've tried to research an issue only to find that the best recommendation is to perform a fresh copy. There were even times when that was suggested even though the original poster said they had already done a fresh copy of Windows and simply needed a driver. So yeah, take what you read on official forums with a grain of salt. Hobbyist and niche forums like COL, I find, are the best for good and accurate information.
Custom Linux PC Intel® Core™ i7-4790K Radeon™ RX 5700 XT 16GB DDR3 256GB M.2 NVMe 5.5TB Storage

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2020, 07:42:25 AM »
So yeah, take what you read on official forums with a grain of salt. Hobbyist and niche forums like COL, I find, are the best for good and accurate information.
Don't let Dirty Helga hear you say that... She provides information from her crystal ball!
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!

Offline Crimson

• Contributor
  • Defeating a sandwich only makes it tastier.
    • «FC» FunHouse Clan
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2020, 05:37:12 PM »
Don't let Dirty Helga hear you say that... She provides information from her crystal ball!

I stand corrected, what I meant to say was...

So yeah, take what you read on official forums with a grain of salt. Hobbyist and niche forums like COL, I find, are the best for good and accurate information........for the most part.
Custom Linux PC Intel® Core™ i7-4790K Radeon™ RX 5700 XT 16GB DDR3 256GB M.2 NVMe 5.5TB Storage

Offline Ironclaw

• Terminal Multiplexer
  • Staff Member
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2020, 10:43:10 AM »
Personally I run my system on a 256G SSD for the operating system and a 1 TB SSD for the /home partition.
If you must persist, I will be forced to tar you, then gzip you and finally umount you.

Offline aDewil

• Contributor
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2020, 02:59:39 PM »
btw, use this laptop 4,XX kernel, because 5,XX kernels some reason have performance problems and fan throtling in manjaro.

what about pop!OS? or some other distro?

ah! i just found perfect os for this old warhorse.
it's LibreElec (KODI OS kinda) and i instelled chrome browser and rTorrent for torrent downloads.

can be download here:
https://libreelec.tv/
this is really light os with web browser, torrent download and very powerful video playback.
what more really need if you use mostly multimedia playback?

and this video shows
how to install chrome
and other apps too
« Last Edit: August 11, 2020, 01:06:27 PM by aDewil »