How to install the latest Firefox on Debian 10 Stable. (The right way!)
Welcome, Guest.
We're BACK! Some users will need to upload new avatars to their profile, sorry about that! Registrations are temporarily closed. -Spat

Author Topic: How to install the latest Firefox on Debian 10 Stable. (The right way!)  (Read 956 times)

Offline Crimson

• Contributor
  • Defeating a sandwich only makes it tastier.
    • «FC» FunHouse Clan
If you're a Debian user like me who enjoys older, stable software, but you prefer to have the latest Firefox web browser, I've found the perfect solution!

The following technique enables the Debian unstable repository AND doesn't allow it to take precedence over the default, stable repository. Basically, you can simply hand pick the updated software you want given you enter the proper command to do so. What's best, is it appears to keep said software updated as you go, BONUS!

So first, we'll need to add the unstable repository. (Don't worry, unstable means that it hasn't been tested nearly as thoroughly as the stable branch, and COULD pose problems. I'm sure the Debian devs and maintainers use this term to protect themselves from people who don't understand this concept.)

STEP 1: Add the Unstable repository to your sources.list file located at /etc/apt/
Code: [Select]
deb http://deb.debian.org/debian/ unstable main contrib non-free
Because I use GNOME, it's easier for me to do this by searching Activities for "Software & Updates". Then I simply add the repository under "Other Software". If you don't use GNOME and/or prefer a terminal method, there's a link to the source material I got this from at the bottom of this post.

STEP 2: Set a low pin priority for the Debian Unstable repository. Create and open a file /etc/apt/preferences.d/99pin-unstable as root with a text editor:

*NOTE: It might be easier for you to do this in a terminal.

sudo nano /etc/apt/preferences.d/99pin-unstable
Package: *
Pin: release a=stable
Pin-Priority: 900

Package: *
Pin release a=unstable
Pin-Priority: 10

STEP 3: Install the latest regular (non-ESR) Firefox on Debian 10 Buster

sudo apt update
sudo apt install -t unstable firefox

That's it! Enjoy the latest Firefox on Debian Stable!

For a more detailed tutorial, visit https://www.linuxuprising.com/2019/12/how-to-install-latest-firefox-non-esr.html

This tutorial will also be posted at my forum at https://funhouseclan.com/index.php?topic=70.0
Custom PC Intel® Core™ i7-4790K Radeon™ RX 5700 XT 16GB DDR3 256GB M.2 NVMe 5.5TB Storage

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
Re: How to install the latest Firefox on Debian 10 Stable. (The right way!)
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2020, 09:05:35 AM »
I imagine a similar procedure can be employed for the Firefox derivatives like Palemoon or Waterfox. Thanks for the share!
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!