Do have a certain time of day that you sit down and just learn Linux?
Welcome, Guest.
We're BACK! Some users will need to upload new avatars to their profile, sorry about that! Registrations are temporarily closed. -Spat

Author Topic: Do have a certain time of day that you sit down and just learn Linux?  (Read 480 times)

Offline gregorylock

• Contributor
I've written some posts that I'm feeling a little uncomfortable about.  I have complained or just mentioned that I don't have "time" for this or "that".  Thinking this over, It got wondering.  How do you section out your day?  Do have a certain time of day that you sit down to just learn linux?

Offline CwF

• Elite Member
Re: Do have a certain time of day that you sit down and just learn Linux?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2019, 01:19:27 PM »
I learn by doing. It's not the schedule or time that gets in the way, but a lack of a risk-free option to experiment on. So don't schedule the time, but create your way to play. This could be a secondary machine or a vm. It's the fear of messing things up that slows me, and many people, from figuring things out. Once you have a setup free of fear you can blow up and recreate at will you are ready to rid yourself of the next hangup =  THROW AWAY GOOGLE. It's a crutch that turns into an addiction.

Most likely the answer to many questions is on your computer accessed through man pages and readme's. Learn to go directly to the source, download documentation if there is more than what you find on your computer. Use 'locate' to understand the extents of a package, and where the extra readme's might be. Also the program 'info' can help too.

The last 9 out of 10 issues I've fixed for myself were done offline. This week I wanted to come up with an alternative to xfce4-weather-plugin since it's always wrong. I searched synaptic and debian repositories online, installed a few things in a vm and typed away in a terminal with man pages up in a second terminal until the issue was solved. I now have a widget showing me accurate info. I've wanted to solve this since the first time I installed xfce, years, so only after other knowledge was accumulated to
know how to make a little genmon was it possible.

Anyway, I make the point that repetition is the best teacher, not the schedule. Don't be afraid to let something go and return to it later, that's good for learning. Forcing yourself into frustration teaches resistance to new things, let it go and come back after your brain has had some time to digest. Go around and around until it's done, taking lots of breaks in between.

Offline gregorylock

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2019, 03:23:16 PM »
@CwF

That's good advice.  My problem is, I only get time to play on Linux during the weekend.  Even then, I feel like I got to really budget my time.  I feel like whenever I make a post online, people are waiting for me to continue it.  Or they loose interest.  Often times, I got other things hanging over my head.  Currently I can think of 3 things that is hanging over my head.  As soon as I get done writing to you, I got to get those 3 things done!  Sometimes I get overwhelmed by Linux.  One thing pops up and then several more things pop up.  Then I got to prioritize what I should concentrate on.  This is what prevents me from diving into something like Arch.  Yes I think it's a good learning tool, but my argument against it is, "normal" people don't have time to spend building it, maintaining it, and researching when something breaks.  That is why I love Linux Mint, it doesn't demand much out of me.  It's almost a set it and forget it system.  I like "Switched to Linux" idea for running Arch.  He uses Mint to get His real work done.  But He keeps an Arch type system on another computer so that He can see what is going on with the latest software.  I love His Channel because He shows how to get real life work done with Linux.

Offline CwF

• Elite Member
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2019, 12:41:36 PM »
Today! It's snowing and the cat said No.
Today I will explore custom actions for Thunar to make up for VMM's recent changes. Thunar lost some function too in the last versions, but is better. So, actions to enable a user thunar to throw some root-rights symbolic links to libvirt, one to qemu-img backups, one to create a new qcow2 layers...and some other zenity enabled dialogs. I've been using spacefm. I may eliminate my bad practice of leaving a root thunar open while tempting the cat into an argument with the trackball.

Offline Kalthrix

• Staff Member
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2019, 08:31:00 PM »
Personally, I don't have a lot of free time. Similar to gregorylock, I have to budget out my time. We got kind of a fixer-upper house and I was able to recently get a lot of supplies to start improving the home, so I've been pretty busy between that and work. I haven't been going out of my way to learn about Linux, however as I run into issues, I've been taking some time later in the evening when I'm winding down for the day to research solutions.

So far, I haven't had a lot of luck with the multi-monitor HiDPI issue that I've mentioned over in another post. However, I haven't given up. At the moment, I am running Linux Lite (UEFI beta) and trying to sort through this. I've had this issue on more than just Lite though. I've tried manually setting it through xrandr without success. I've visited multiple forums and scoured documentation to see if I can come up with a solution. So far, nothing yet. I'll keep at it though as I would love to discover a solution so that I can easily dock/undock my W530 and have proper scaling recognized and set on both monitors.

Offline Ironclaw

• Terminal Multiplexer
  • Staff Member
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2019, 12:56:39 AM »
Nope, I do things as I see that they need doing and I learn what I need as the need arises.
If you must persist, I will be forced to tar you, then gzip you and finally umount you.

Offline CwF

• Elite Member
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2019, 12:11:34 PM »
Nope, I do things as I see that they need doing and I learn what I need as the need arises.
I came to linux (debian) with a long list. As I whittle down that list, it keeps getting longer.

Offline gregorylock

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2019, 07:27:37 PM »
I came to linux (debian) with a long list. As I whittle down that list, it keeps getting longer.

I often feel burned out if I think about that long list too much.  I just got done installing Xubunu 18.04 and Xubuntu 19.10 into virtualbox, all for the entire purpose of posting about the versions of ffmpeg.  That information is posted now.

Offline CwF

• Elite Member
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2020, 03:02:21 PM »
It seems now would be a good time.

Offline Crimson

• Contributor
  • Defeating a sandwich only makes it tastier.
    • «FC» FunHouse Clan
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2020, 02:21:34 PM »
I can't wait to sit down and learn the new Ubuntu coming out.
Custom PC Intel® Core™ i7-4790K Radeon™ RX 5700 XT 16GB DDR3 256GB M.2 NVMe 5.5TB Storage

Offline eronis

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2020, 03:48:24 AM »
I don't have a certain time of day. However, you may call me an abnormal user in usability sense. Most people would rather having an easy to use operating system when I rather something faster and more efficient. I experiment with window managers. I'm also a fan of XFCE. I didn't use it for more than a year though. I follow Luke Smith's guides. I also learn vim. Whenever I feel ready to do some changes in my system, I go into docs and learn what to do before I do any changes.

It's like itching. When your back itches, you itch it.

Obligatory meme: I use Arch BTW! MUHAHAHA (Bad guy laugh)
The Linux philosophy is 'Laugh in the face of danger'. Oops. Wrong One. 'Do it yourself'. Yes, that's it. --Linus Torvalds

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2020, 08:38:54 PM »
No better time than the present... lots of people are stuck at home while the world awaits the end to the pandemic. Learn lots and be safe everyone!
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!

Offline gregorylock

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2020, 01:11:19 PM »
No better time than the present... lots of people are stuck at home while the world awaits the end to the pandemic. Learn lots and be safe everyone!

I've been messing around with my PCLinuxOS Mate iinstall.  I also been messing around with some stuff in the VirtualBox.  Joe Collins made a statement that I'm not sure is currently true.  He advised that new Ubuntu users should stay away from point releases like Xubuntu 18.04.4.  Because of the HWE kernel that comes with it.  I searched around for Xubuntu 18.04 (Without the Point) and installed it into virtual box.  Then I took Xubuntu 18.04.1 and installed it too.  After running the updates, I installed neofetch.  Neofetch showed me that Xubuntu 18.04 upgraded it's self to Xubuntu 18.04.4 and the Xubuntu 18.04.1 also upgraded to 18.04.4.  The kernel versions was exactly the same.  I don't know if I messed anything or not.  (shrugs)  While writing this I found this post:  LTSEnablementStack