I want to buy a PFSense Router: Which one should I buy?
Welcome, Guest.
We're BACK! Some users will need to upload new avatars to their profile, sorry about that! Registrations are temporarily closed. -Spat

Author Topic: I want to buy a PFSense Router: Which one should I buy?  (Read 261 times)

Offline gregorylock

• Contributor
I want to buy a PFSense Router: Which one should I buy?
« on: February 22, 2020, 05:52:21 PM »
I'm going around looking for recommendations for this.

I want a PFSense Router because I heard that you can control the hosts file on it.  Currently that is something I do on all my computers separately.  it's a pain because every time I add something to my hosts file I got to update every computer separately.

Currently I'm running Frontier Netgear D2200D from my ISP.  I have it connected to Asus RT-AC51U.  From there it is connected to all 4 computers.

My idea is connect the PFSense Router to the Frontier Netgear D2200D and then connect the Asus RT-AC51U to Asus RT-AC51U and use it for wireless, and maybe go ahead and use it to connect the computers.  I'm not currently planning on adding anymore computers to the network.

Here is a simple diagram of my idea on how I want things connected.

Internet > Frontier Netgear D2200D > PFSense Router > Asus RT-AC51U > Computers

Here is my research links so far:

1) https://youtu.be/w9BNZYm3zp8

2) https://www.pfsense.org/products/

3) https://www.amazon.com/s?k=pfsense&ref=nb_sb_noss

Offline CwF

• Elite Member
Re: I want to buy a PFSense Router: Which one should I buy?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2020, 05:04:04 PM »
check out DD-WRT
Depending on the router...

Offline gregorylock

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2020, 08:13:37 PM »
check out DD-WRT
Depending on the router...

I think PFsense is what I want because every time I hear the features described it sounds exactly like what I need.

Offline Will

• Spatry's Tardis Operator
  • Contributor
  • Chronic Distro Hopper
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2020, 09:42:50 AM »
I have used pfSense. I find it better suited if you want to build a low power machine to use it, or be like me and run it in a virtual machine on a noisy Dell R710!

It certainly has all the features you could ever want, but it has a steeper learning curve than most router software. I technically don't use pfSense, but instead OPNsense, as I seem to have less issues with it in a virtualized instance, but both do the same thing.

My network layout is like this:
BT Smart Hub (bridge mode as modem) -> R710 (Proxmox) -> WAN port passthrough to OPNsense VM, LAN port passthrough to small 5 port switch and Asus RTN66U (which is as a switch, wifi off) -> Ubiquiti UAP-AC-PRO for wifi.

I have minimal issues with this setup and the expandability is everything I would want. My only recommendations for hardware, as it is *BSD, is STAY AWAY FROM REALTEK HARDWARE! Seriously, I bought a 2 port pci card to passthrough to the VM, and it only partly worked, and crashed most of the time. Use Intel hardware if possible (unless cpu, it doesn't really matter there)
Ryzen 7 2700x, 32GB(3600MHz), 500GB 850 EVO, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 580 + EVGA Geforce GTX 1080 | Gentoo

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2020, 07:36:19 AM »
Will, Long time no see! I LOVE YOUR NEW AVATAR!I hope all is well!

and now that we have had our short digression, we return to the topic at hand!
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!

Offline Will

• Spatry's Tardis Operator
  • Contributor
  • Chronic Distro Hopper
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2020, 09:00:51 AM »
Will, Long time no see! I LOVE YOUR NEW AVATAR!I hope all is well!

and now that we have had our short digression, we return to the topic at hand!

Hey Spatry! Sorry I keep dropping off the face of the Earth... I've been busy. Hope all is well with you too!
Ryzen 7 2700x, 32GB(3600MHz), 500GB 850 EVO, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 580 + EVGA Geforce GTX 1080 | Gentoo