Fedora 31 not allowing PS4 game controller through bluetooth...
Welcome, Guest.
“Theory and practice sometimes clash. And when that happens, theory loses. Every single time.” ― Linus Torvalds

Author Topic: Fedora 31 not allowing PS4 game controller through bluetooth...  (Read 1007 times)

Offline Crimson

• Contributor
  • Defeating a sandwich only makes it tastier.
    • «FC» FunHouse Clan
Fedora 31 not allowing PS4 game controller through bluetooth...
« on: November 11, 2019, 01:47:13 PM »
I have a bit of a frustrating problem and no amount of Google research is helping me. As the title says, I have a Playstation 4 gaming controller that I am 100% is functioning properly, however, when I connect through bluetooth, it doesn't seem to be allowed to be used as a controller.

What I do get, is a solid white bar on the controller, indicating that it has established a connection. GNOME 3.34 knows it's a wireless controller and shows that it's connected, but the controller just doesn't do anything.
To me, it sounds like a permission issue or something just isn't letting the controller communicate wirelessly. I have searched all over and have only found troubleshooting steps for the controller itself. Again, I'm positive the controller is not at fault, as it connects just fine to my Debian 10 laptop running GNOME 3.30. Is it maybe a GNOME issue? I'm not sure, but I figured writing about it so that the problem is out there may help resolve it.
Custom Linux PC Intel® Core™ i7-4790K Radeon™ RX 5700 XT 16GB DDR3 256GB M.2 NVMe 5.5TB Storage

Offline Ironclaw

• Terminal Multiplexer
  • Staff Member
Re: Fedora 31 not allowing PS4 game controller through bluetooth...
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2019, 02:36:41 PM »
A couple of things come to mind as possibilities, though they are kind of longshots.

First of all, is there a group for bluetooth connections?   Secondly, does rfkill show anything being blocked at the transceiver?

I just had one other thought as well.  Is there some sort of firmware package that might be required for proper operation of the bluetooth adapter?   Fedora is sort of like debian where the don't include anything like that by default.
If you must persist, I will be forced to tar you, then gzip you and finally umount you.

Offline Crimson

• Contributor
    • «FC» FunHouse Clan
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2019, 03:05:50 PM »
As far as I can tell, the only thing that should be needed is the ds4drv driver, which comes with dang near every distro, at the very least the big guys like Fedora and Debian. I'm fairly certain that's baked into the kernel.

rfkill shows:
Code: [Select]
ID TYPE      DEVICE      SOFT      HARD
 0 bluetooth hci0   unblocked unblocked
 1 wlan      phy1   unblocked unblocked

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by a group for bluetooth. Is that like a hidden user account or something for bluetooth devices?

My bluetooth adapter is a Targus ACB10US1, which has always worked flawlessly out of the box with every distro I've tried.

Thanks for thinking of possibilities, I honestly think it's a goof in either GNOME 3.34 or Fedora 31. They already squashed a bug that was crashing games, causing the whole system to lock up. GNOME 3.34 (mutter)

My problem seems a little less likely to get fixed, though.
Custom Linux PC Intel® Core™ i7-4790K Radeon™ RX 5700 XT 16GB DDR3 256GB M.2 NVMe 5.5TB Storage

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2019, 12:01:58 PM »
Are you able to get other bluetooth devices connected? This may sound dumb but something that has slapped me in the face a few times... I forgot that I turned off the wifi radio which in turn also deactivates the Bluetooth receiver. <facepalm> I have also noticed Blueman can sometimes be finicky when connecting new devices... I am no expert on this but I figured I would add my 2 cents.
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!

Offline Crimson

• Contributor
    • «FC» FunHouse Clan
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2019, 06:06:35 PM »
I also have an 8Bitdo Bluetooth controller that works flawlessly on this installation. So far I can't tell if Blueman is having any issues, I would imagine if it were malfunctioning it would also affect all other "new" devices. WiFi radio is definitely turned on.

I've pretty much given up hope on getting my PS4 controller working with F31. This isn't going to be a permanent install anyway, I just have it installed to try it out. I'm eventually going to install Debian on this machine once I get enough money to get an AMD RX 5700.
Plus I figured if anyone plans on using Fedora 31 this would be a good place to post a sort of "heads up" in case they planned on installing F31.

Thank you guys for your help.