Next Windows release most likely to use Linux kernel instead of NT kernel
Welcome, Guest.
“Theory and practice sometimes clash. And when that happens, theory loses. Every single time.” ― Linus Torvalds

Author Topic: Next Windows release most likely to use Linux kernel instead of NT kernel  (Read 1680 times)

Offline pip5528

• The Pipsqueak!!!
  • Staff Member
  • Technology nerd, audiophile, musician, gamer
That's right, folks. Windows 11 or whatever it will be called is likely going to use the Linux kernel instead of the tried-and-true NT framework of the past. You can read more about it here.
My name may be Pip, but I'm not that small!

Offline farevildee

• Tyrannical Rule Enforcer
  • Staff Member
  • Linux is learning and freedom
Re: Next Windows release most likely to use Linux kernel instead of NT kernel
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2019, 08:00:16 PM »
personally i think maybe Linus should patent the kernel. i still don't trust windows any further then i can throw em.
Friends don't let friends use WIndows or Mac OS.

Offline Kalthrix

• Staff Member
personally i think maybe Linus should patent the kernel. i still don't trust windows any further then i can throw em.

Considering the nonsense they pulled concerning the changes that they made to the Linux subsystem in Windows, I don't trust them at all. They don't do anything out of the kindness of their hearts... always a motivation behind everything. I think in the subsystem case, to try to bring devs back from using strictly Linux to Windows.

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2019, 07:05:30 AM »
I have been saying this all along and this news article comes as no surprise to me... If anything, that means software developers will need to make Linux versions of their software in order to stay relevant. Will Microsoft Linux be good news for the rest of us? We need to see how this plays out...
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!

Offline f2fs

Since this is the first time I hear about MS going to use THE Kernel, now I confirm, that the pxoronix "excitment" and pronoinx "news" are sponsored by MS. The Linux Foundation was hijacked by MS and this confirms what I have been thinking: the changes to ext4 to abandon Big and small letters (ext4 distinguishes between them) and phoronix "excitement" of adding patented MS exFAT to the kernel instead of promoting f2fs (flash dedicated storage that I use for home folder; /root is not yet ready for Debian... and other distros to use f2fs...) comes from MS request. Now everything is going to be coded for MS. I hate them!!

Post Merge: December 02, 2019, 11:04:15 AM
And all this "self contained" apps will only be coded for windows and that is how people will publish them. Like why improve our website-  it works on IE. Why improve our website? - it works on Chrome. Right? So why code and use shared libraries (security, small distro, independat apps,...) why we have github and the apps are coded for windows. Why do anything else? It works on Windows, so who cares, right?

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
Regardless of what M$ does in the "Sandbox", there will always be clever hackers in the community who are passionate about keeping pure libre alternatives available. I am probably a little (but only just a teeny weenie bit) more worried about what Google has been doing with Android/Linux platform. They try to block root access in their builds and clever little penguins always manage to get around those nasty blocks.... It is the same old cat and mouse game over and over and over again...
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!

Offline pip5528

• The Pipsqueak!!!
  • Staff Member
  • Technology nerd, audiophile, musician, gamer
Regardless of what M$ does in the "Sandbox", there will always be clever hackers in the community who are passionate about keeping pure libre alternatives available. I am probably a little (but only just a teeny weenie bit) more worried about what Google has been doing with Android/Linux platform. They try to block root access in their builds and clever little penguins always manage to get around those nasty blocks.... It is the same old cat and mouse game over and over and over again...

So Google and Microsoft have both essentially become like Apple from a software standpoint in terms of locking everything down so the end user can't modify it or get full access.
My name may be Pip, but I'm not that small!

Offline ringo32

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2020, 01:50:19 PM »
Linux is stil a kernel... the init system or framework and enviroment is on there's on them. Linux foundation would not negative on it. You get atleast lots lines for back. what windows at end does on them..

personal i do feel that everyone profit of that support on linux kernel.. more testing and quicker hardware support is all what we want.
Antergos For Everyone