How about a tutorial about troubleshooting software issues?
Welcome, Guest.
“Theory and practice sometimes clash. And when that happens, theory loses. Every single time.” ― Linus Torvalds

Author Topic: How about a tutorial about troubleshooting software issues?  (Read 2043 times)

Offline lorenzo

Hi guys,
I would like to ask for a brief tutorial if it would be feasible about troubleshooting software issues with the / or in the terminal?
Is this possible? E. g. for the most common mistakes that can arise?
E. g. how to find out or fixing wrong configuration files that may cause some glitches. Maybe this is way too broad, but would be nice to have some entry points to save some time, by having the ability to fix things without too much fumbling around :D
OK, I hope this would be doable. I don't know how to explain it right now differently *lol*

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
Re: How about a tutorial about troubleshooting software issues?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2019, 02:05:01 PM »
If a program does not run, the terminal will give you clues as to why.... maybe you are missing a shared object (.so) or other dependency. Maybe that dependency was upgraded and the software needs to be recompiled against the new library... it is difficult to do a tutorial on this because it covers a broad area of problems... the command line is your friend and it will give you insight on things which may be wrong...
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!

Offline lorenzo

Re: How about a tutorial about troubleshooting software issues?
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2019, 07:48:41 PM »
Yes, thanks Spatry, I knew that this would be a too much versatile topic. What I had in mind how to fix "common errors", but that is maybe also an issue, because what could be "common errors" ? :D 
Yes, I got the point what you mean.