Greetings everybody from lorenzo
Welcome, Guest.
“Theory and practice sometimes clash. And when that happens, theory loses. Every single time.” ― Linus Torvalds

Author Topic: Greetings everybody from lorenzo  (Read 696 times)

Offline lorenzo

Greetings everybody from lorenzo
« on: July 12, 2019, 04:51:48 PM »
Greetings dear forum people,

after having piling issues with Windows some years ago and being sick of this BSOD (blue screen of death) crap and additionaly to it the unsolicited phone homes and following data sniffings and collections I decided to switch to Linux.

That was it for me. I had enough of such procedures from this company.
Not very user friendly.

Now I am using Linux Mint 19 64 bit for some years without any of the herein before mentioned issues. I had tried some distros before (like Sabayon, OpenSUSE, etc. pp) but because of my lack of time to learn more about the more internal attributes of Linux I decided to switch to Linux Mint. Until now it was sufficient for me.

Well, in the beginning I had a steep learning curve and needed some weeks to habituate to Linux, but now I am able to do some command line interface basics and troubleshootings. I recently took some time now to learn a little bit more.

I am still learning, because I had to pause quite a long time, because of job, because of being lazy after work, because it did drain your energies often out to learn something new.

So far so good for a short introduction of myself.

Warm regards from

lorenzo

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
Re: Greetings everybody from lorenzo
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2019, 07:07:34 PM »
Welcome to the community, I responded to your query about the antivirus software in the appropriate thread. Thanks for taking the time to share a little about yourself. There is a lot of good material on this board you can benefit from... Enjoy your stay =D
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!

Offline fchaos

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2019, 09:16:42 PM »
Welcome Lorenzo, and like everyone else, it does take some time to learn Linux, but it's well worth the investment!

Offline lorenzo

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2019, 05:34:27 AM »
Yes, thanks guys.

It really takes some time to learn Linux and I do not want to return to Windows anymore. Not after years usage of Linux :D

This Windows system really annoyed me too much. As Spatry once said, this BSOD-crap happened to me while I was really doing some important work.

I sat there for hours to do this work and suddenly out of the blue (pun intended *lol*) the screen appeared and all my work was gone and that was it for me.

I did back up my HDD and did the last time format c:\ :D

After that I installed Linux, btw. I had Red Hat Linux also some months installed in the very beginning. The first months were a really hard time for me, but now I have at least some basic knowledge and since I use Linux Mint I am very lucky.

The system is now stable for years! I had just a few glitches that were corrected very fast from the maintainers of "nouveau" I guess.

Thanks again, I am looking forward to learn Linux now from scratch. I get back to square one, because everything I did before was some patchwork to learn the CLI, because of no plans where to begin, the laziness after work in the past *lol*

c u then ;)

lorenzo
« Last Edit: July 13, 2019, 05:47:10 AM by lorenzo »

Offline Kalthrix

• Staff Member
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2019, 02:45:17 PM »
Welcome to the community lorenzo! Glad to have you with us. :)

Offline pip5528

• The Pipsqueak!!!
  • Staff Member
  • Technology nerd, audiophile, musician, gamer
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2019, 06:48:35 PM »
Nice to meet you, Lorenzo! Mint is a good choice!
My name may be Pip, but I'm not that small!

Offline lorenzo

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2019, 05:42:02 AM »
Thanks pip5528 and Kalthrix,
yes, I am really happy with Mint. Since now it worked for me quite well and I am getting better with this CLI, too. Mint helped me to do the work I was not able to do in the past. I like to fiddle around and Windows showed after some time no merci *lol*

In Mint it is quite different. I like to test different software and installed and deinstalled since the last years quite often. Now I am doing it better in a VM (Virtual Machine) and for a few days I am testing a little bit Spatry mCOLe.
Pretty cool. I like the visual "manual" to install it. For me it worked like a charm. It is better for me to hear and see of what to do to install this system.