Debian 10 buster
Welcome, Guest.
“Theory and practice sometimes clash. And when that happens, theory loses. Every single time.” ― Linus Torvalds

Author Topic: Debian 10 buster  (Read 1437 times)

Offline farevildee

• Tyrannical Rule Enforcer
  • Staff Member
  • Linux is learning and freedom
Debian 10 buster
« on: July 07, 2019, 01:44:06 AM »
Debian 10 buster buster has been released
Whats new
also forgot to mention they've added 13000 plus packages to there repos's too
« Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 02:25:17 AM by farevildee »
Friends don't let friends use WIndows or Mac OS.

Offline Crimson

• Contributor
  • Defeating a sandwich only makes it tastier.
    • «FC» FunHouse Clan
Re: Debian 10 buster
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2019, 09:34:57 AM »
Dang, this is bitter sweet. I've been anxiously waiting for D10 to come out, and wouldn't you know it, right after I unplug EVERYTHING and packed EVERYTHING into moving boxes. Oh well, guess I'll just have to wait. Still excited though.

I'm most interested in the UEFI and driverless printing upgrades. The updated kernel is really nice too because most of my hardware is newer. And I must say I'm sorta shocked that Debian is defaulting to Wayland on GNOME. Now I REALLY want to install D10.
Custom Linux PC Intel® Core™ i7-4790K Radeon™ RX 5700 XT 16GB DDR3 256GB M.2 NVMe 5.5TB Storage

Offline CwF

• Elite Member
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2019, 10:39:54 AM »
As a fresh install Buster is a fine OS for sure. I'm pleased that it is also maintains Debians typical continuity. I've been working on buster since the freeze and found it to be a smooth evolution. A few major things changed, a few temporary hiccups, a few things revamped, overall simply a better stretch, that was a better jessie.

I have many busters all derived from jessie and stretch, rolled at my pace, but THE example of true rolling release without claiming to be. I've mentioned I use images that are portable, that ability keeps getting better also.

The gnome on wayland story is good for many laptop users with the right hardware. Support for current hardware should be pretty good with kernel 4.19.

Supercomputing options are still there, xfce on xorg is still the warhorse (no it's not going to die anytime soon). Unfortunately this cycle will miss some advanced intel and amd gpu support, so there's room for bullseye to be even better. Qemu/kvm did make a big jump, yet with the mentioned gpu development bullseye will be the magic.

The alternate i386 with wine 4.x is another angle for some, as current and smooth as i386 has a right to be.

Overall, something for everyone, highly recommended.

Offline farevildee

• Staff Member
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2019, 01:35:11 AM »
well iknew alot of poeple where waiting for debian 10 to drop finally so i posted it as soon as it went to distrowatch.

Offline tinkerer

• Old guy from Scotland
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2019, 03:37:53 PM »
I'm torn between trying Debian Buster or the Linux Mint Debian Edition (LMDE), the latter looking an attactive alternative to Manjaro and the fact that Ubuntu itself is getting some bad press.

Linux Mint has always impressed me over the years but my experience of the Debian mothership has not always been as good.  In the early days, Debian's installation process wasn't so user-friendly, but by all accounts Debian has made the installation a lot easier these days.

Decisions, decisions. ???

Frank
The first law of intelligent tinkering is to save all the parts.
(Aldo Leopold)

Offline farevildee

• Staff Member
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2019, 11:16:02 PM »
well tinkerer that's what virtual drives are for, playing lol the mint deb edition is still using old deb and there's new things going on in the new 10 that's not available to mint deb till they upgrade to deb 10.

Offline CwF

• Elite Member
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2019, 05:22:15 PM »
did someone mention a debian 10 virtual machine?
Btw, qemu-kvm is the way to do it!
Code: [Select]
user@buster:~$ neofetch
       _,met$$$$$gg.          user@buster
    ,g$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$P.       ---------------
  ,g$$P"     """Y$$.".        OS: Debian GNU/Linux 10 (buster) x86_64
 ,$$P'              `$$$.     Host: KVM/QEMU (Standard PC (Q35 + ICH9, 2009) pc-q35-2.8)
',$$P       ,ggs.     `$$b:   Kernel: 4.19.0-5-amd64
`d$$'     ,$P"'   .    $$$    Uptime: 24 secs
 $$P      d$'     ,    $$P    Packages: 1360 (dpkg)
 $$:      $$.   -    ,d$$'    Shell: bash 5.0.3
 $$;      Y$b._   _,d$P'      Resolution: 1920x1200
 Y$$.    `.`"Y$$$$P"'         DE: Xfce
 `$$b      "-.__              WM: Xfwm4
  `Y$$                        WM Theme: Default-xhdpi
   `Y$$.                      Theme: Xfce-curve [GTK2], Adwaita [GTK3]
     `$$b.                    Icons: Tango [GTK2], Adwaita [GTK3]
       `Y$$b.                 Terminal: xfce4-terminal
          `"Y$b._             Terminal Font: Noto Mono 14
              `"""            CPU: Intel Xeon E312xx (Sandy Bridge) (2) @ 3.199GHz
                              GPU: Red Hat, Inc. QXL paravirtual graphic card
                              Memory: 379MiB / 1995MiB

Offline farevildee

• Staff Member
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2019, 07:44:22 PM »
See what did i tell you tinkerer cwf got it lol. Plus I'm installing it on old Compaq lappy with lxde as the window manager.

Offline tinkerer

• Old guy from Scotland
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2019, 11:21:22 PM »
I like to fully install a distro on my laptop and run it for a few days, gives me a better idea of how well the graphics and other hardware works. I have a couple of tasks that I test to see how comfortable I am using that particular distro.

In the meantime, my old Compaq PC purrs away nicely running Manjaro xfce for all my more serious computing needs. So far, no other distro that I've tried on the laptop would compel me to install it on my PC.

LMDE has a few more days to run. So far so good. Next I'll try Debian 10 Buster.

If you've got to tinker - do it in style. Virtual drives are too 'safe', no fun in that. 😁

Frank
« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 11:30:44 PM by tinkerer »
The first law of intelligent tinkering is to save all the parts.
(Aldo Leopold)

Offline Crimson

• Contributor
  • Defeating a sandwich only makes it tastier.
    • «FC» FunHouse Clan
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2019, 11:31:00 PM »
I managed to update both my work kiosk and my laptop today. I'm speechless, I just absolutely love this distribution. I'd like to re-post my feelings from a few weeks ago...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujnH4yNqL8E
Custom Linux PC Intel® Core™ i7-4790K Radeon™ RX 5700 XT 16GB DDR3 256GB M.2 NVMe 5.5TB Storage

Offline CwF

• Elite Member
Re: Re: Debian 10 buster
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2019, 11:59:43 PM »
 Virtual drives are too 'safe', no fun in that.
Take notes, ;)
 That is my amd64 base image, multiple vm's run on top, some with their own passed hardware. It has also run on bare metal, with the experience recorded - it morphs to the hardware. Full experience: Q35/6600, Q67/E3, 5520/5687's, C602/E-5's with any mix of gpu's. It was born as Jessie 8.5 and has rolled into current. It's a kick ass creation on a kick ass distro. The universal operating system, Debian!

Offline farevildee

• Staff Member
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2019, 01:13:44 AM »
well here's what i have installed on atm the only thing different is that it has an extra gig of ram but this is what i do after i play in virtual machine to see how it goes then i try actual hardware. but your welcome to try it anyway you please lol.  ;)
compaq laptop