End of Steam support for Ubuntu
Welcome, Guest.
“Theory and practice sometimes clash. And when that happens, theory loses. Every single time.” ― Linus Torvalds

Author Topic: End of Steam support for Ubuntu  (Read 808 times)

Offline fchaos

• Contributor
End of Steam support for Ubuntu
« on: June 23, 2019, 11:05:01 AM »
I just saw this article from "How-To-Geek"

It seems that because Ubuntu is dropping support for 32 bit libraries in their upcoming release, it can no longer support Steam games and any and all 32 bit WINE apps...

(this also applies to any Ubuntu derivative distros...)

https://www.howtogeek.com/426068/steam-wont-support-ubuntu-19.10-and-future-releases/

Offline sapphire

Re: End of Steam support for Ubuntu
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2019, 12:07:33 PM »
Maybe I should encourage Xfce developers on Xubuntu take seriously develop Xebian.
or else I'll make Xubuntu clone on Debian based & release unofficially to encourage them.
"Arch Way"?! All ways here are "My Ways!"

Offline tinkerer

• Old guy from Scotland
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2019, 01:46:37 PM »
It seems Ubuntu Linux is shooting itself in the foot. At the very time Linux should be making inroads with desktop distros because of the general distrust/dislike of Windows 10, Canonical seems to be aiding and abetting the ever increasing cloud services.

The Chromebook looks an increasingly likely candidate to fill the gap when it comes to games. If Ubuntu based Linux users cannot run games on 32bit legacy machines, then perhaps the Google Store could provide some Android games and game developers would turn more to that platform.

All in all, these past few weeks has a fair bit of bad news kicking around about Linux.

What's next?

Frank
The first law of intelligent tinkering is to save all the parts.
(Aldo Leopold)

Offline Crimson

• Contributor
  • Defeating a sandwich only makes it tastier.
    • «FC» FunHouse Clan
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2019, 02:05:56 PM »
Yeah, I saw that a while ago, even replied to a YouTube video on that...

Ubuntu may suffer, yes, but Linux gaming as a whole will be fine. Besides, 32 bit should have died out over 10 years ago, but since we didn't just rip the band-aid off back then, we're gonna have a harder time getting off of 32bit now. So my thoughts, better late than never.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iYk5uri8CM&lc=z23zftfi3wm4z54qi04t1aokgg3j33tekhimgyudhlmcbk0h00410

My thoughts haven't changed.
Custom Linux PC Intel® Core™ i7-4790K Radeon™ RX 5700 XT 16GB DDR3 256GB M.2 NVMe 5.5TB Storage

Offline Kalthrix

• Staff Member
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2019, 03:01:33 PM »
I have mixed feelings on this. I'm siding with the devs that it doesn't make much sense to continue supporting an aging architecture. However, at the same time, there are still quite a few 32-bit apps out there that will no longer work on the latest version of Ubuntu and derivatives. The nice thing is, that it's not removing support on any existing builds, so it will be possible to continue running that specific version of Ubuntu while we wait for the devs of Steam to build a compatible 64-bit client. So, in a way I don't see this as being the end of gaming on Linux, but rather a bump that they're going to have to jump over if they want to continue supporting the platform. Considering how much work has gone into the project including Proton, I don't think Valve is going to throw it all out. I honestly believe they will develop a 64-bit version of Steam and then all will be well again. Maybe, if it comes down to it, create some kind of wrapper for those games that are only 32-bit so that they are still able to run.