Scientific Linux and Antergos are shutting down: It's time for Linux Mint to go
Welcome, Guest.
“Theory and practice sometimes clash. And when that happens, theory loses. Every single time.” ― Linus Torvalds

Author Topic: Scientific Linux and Antergos are shutting down: It's time for Linux Mint to go  (Read 685 times)

Offline pip5528

• The Pipsqueak!!!
  • Staff Member
  • Technology nerd, audiophile, musician, gamer
Here's an interesting article I found on Scientific and Antergos shutting down due to either inability to keep up or falling out of popularity. The editor of this article thinks Linux Mint should go next. I personally get the feeling Manjaro will also eventually get shut down.

https://www.techrepublic.com/google-amp/article/scientific-linux-and-antergos-are-shutting-down-its-time-for-linux-mint-to-go/
My name may be Pip, but I'm not that small!

Offline Challene

Well I don't think that Linux Mint will be shutted down(Maybe LMDE part only). When I decided to switch from windows to linux I tried to find a distro which I'll use and I found a web-site called TOP10 linux distros for new users and I decided to watch this web. There was a Ubuntu, Linux Mint, Debian, Manjaro and so on. Why I'm talking that? Because the new users who will switch to linux they'll use a major distributions such as ubuntu and others. For E.G. there are too many linux distributions and you can't try them all, I mean I saw only the name of Antergos linux but never tried it. "Why I need to try it if I'm using ubuntu". Only few users will watch FULL linux distros list on the wiki that's why some distributions are not so popular(And you know that). But Linux Mint is one of the major distros so someone will choose mint instead of debian or ubuntu

Offline tinkerer

• Old guy from Scotland
I know we're spoiled for choice in the Linux world - but that could be detrimental in the long term.  As Microsoft is encouraging users to use the cloud more, you'd think that this would be an opportunity for Linux to woo even more new users to the desktop environment.

Instead, new users have a bewildering choice of distros with YouTube not helping when it comes to selecting the ideal one. Each YouTuber has his/her own reasons why their selected distro is the best.

Maybe it's time for some distro developers to join forces to create a distro that aims to be as simple to use as Windows, but powerful enough for the advanced user.  A distro to rival Ubuntu or Debian. No doubt there will be more distros that will be discontinued and it would be a pity if those out of work developers did not contnue to use their skills on a bigger Linux project.

The trouble with open source is that some users are not prepared to make a donation to the developers to help maintain their distros, so it's no surprise that a few distros are closing. It would be sad if Manjaro goes the way of Antergos, but I can't see Linux Mint being discontinued any time soon.

Frank
The first law of intelligent tinkering is to save all the parts.
(Aldo Leopold)

Offline CwF

• Elite Member
The 'Distro' world is simply overbuilt. In an 'investment segment' perspective it's very analogous to 'brick and mortar'. The 'cloud' is the same threat. Over in the Rant section I've said how I think there is to much ego out there, the kind that wants a corner store on every corner, with their name on it. My advice, buy Walmart, sell Amazon. That is my long view.

For those that don't follow analogies well, I try, but the important factor is called 'catalyst'. There isn't one. There is no viable path for the random distro to take to greatness. The path windows took to get to where it is not available and will never be. The last catalyst in the industry was the smart phone. That one is also over, still in play, but over. The current catalyst for tech is AI, and the developers will be paid via the products you buy. In the same way the windows grew, the smart phone, and now IOT pieces, and maybe your car, people buy products and the software is included.

The next important term is 'scale'. In order for a catalyst to take, it needs scale. The market for windows in the beginning was EVERYBODY. The market for the beginning of smartphones was EVERYBODY, IOT yep EVERYBODY. The potential scale for a distro is 'some of some', or a fraction of the market Linux occupies. The 'Destop' market then is a scale of a few percent, a distro is then a few percent of that. The scale of EVERYBODY is already saturated.

The flip side is the server market. There linux is doing well. Why, because it has paying customers in what is known as 'vertical' markets. The advances in then desktop, the 'horizontal' component, is simply a consequence of the vertical markets. This bleed through from the Red Hats of the world is what is sustaining the desktop. By those people, the desktop was long ago declared dead. That is not the same as not needed, irrelevant, or not worth development, it simply means the desktop is no longer capable of delivering a revenue stream. EVERYBODY already has one!

When I started, one bought software and were given the hardware. That flipped in the early 90's. M$ capitalized the change by bundling with the hardware. Apple followed, died, tried again, died, and eventually was saved by more hardware needs people didn't have, a smartphone. But the point is the same. The sustainable revenue stream is selling hardware. That pays for the software.

Since we are accustomed to this model, OS software in itself isn't so marketable. It needs to be attached to something like hardware, or a service contract.

There will be exceptions to this basic economics. Politics will help as governments buy into open source, I can't remember now, Suse or Slack or whatever that was sucked up into a hedge fund? Could be another Red Hat example, it will dribble goodness to the people. Low cost and recycled, or re-purposed hardware for China, India, Africa, and others could enable a Linux renaissance of sorts. It is happening now, but 'everybody' in the prior examples contributed $50 through purchase to the software side. These future 'everybody else' examples will be more like $2. A very different 'scale'.

So to sum up this gooblygook binocular view from the moon, there simply isn't NEED for hundreds of distro's. It's pure EGO. This is why I focus on Debian, not a 'distro' but a foundation. Arch, Gentoo, Fedora, and a few others are 'foundations', not distros. Ubuntus, MX, Manjaro, and a few others might be a distro. The next few hundred are ego spins. If they start dropping like flies I will consider it healthy. The resources of the Linux community are spread to thin. We need focus.

It seems Mint has momentum, I don't pay it any attention. Zorin is a commendable effort maybe. I say look deeper, middleware projects like XFCE seem to be at risk, they need some love. Many individual programs need the love. All things distro AGNOSTIC are worthy of support. I say let the 'foundations' survive on corporate sponsorship and give personal love and donations to the middleware developers. Let the distros die.