Hello from Denmark.
Welcome, Guest.
“Theory and practice sometimes clash. And when that happens, theory loses. Every single time.” ― Linus Torvalds

Author Topic: Hello from Denmark.  (Read 770 times)

Offline wombat50

Hello from Denmark.
« on: May 19, 2019, 09:00:06 AM »
Hello all.
Just signed up on this interesting site.
Long time user with Linux, though got a bit slow learning condition.
Anyway my main distro is debian stretch. Stable with non-free repos enabled. Mostly on a dell vostro laptop (intel based) (Onboard graphics) but got a desktop diy based also on intel hardware. (Onboard graphics).
Love Mpv media player and is why i got to know this site and the author from YouTube.
Right now im tweaking for better multimedia performance, but i am keeping an eye on the ongoing development of the Wayland display protocol.
Some day i hope to go all in on Wayland on debian.
Cheers all and greetings from Wombat. :)

Offline fchaos

• Contributor
Re: Hello from Denmark.
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2019, 10:49:34 AM »
Welcome Wombat.

I'm sure you will find a lot of good information here!

Offline CwF

• Elite Member
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2019, 01:02:20 PM »
Some day i hope to go all in on Wayland on debian.
AAHHHNOOOOOO. I'm not feeling it. It's a spork.

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2019, 02:17:49 PM »
Thanks for taking the time to introduce yourself and welcome to the community. Personally, I like X.Org. For some reason Wayland has not received enough momentum from the community and therefore has not been widely adopted like the controversial SystemD over SysV. Lets face it, X works, it is still being developed and it seems many distro providers end up providing X along with Wayland because of compatibility concerns. Got to love freedom of choice, it causes fragmentation in our ecosystem, thankfully NOT on our hard drives.
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!

Offline wombat50

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2019, 09:29:45 AM »
Yeah not like its a easy straight way with wayland, i admit that.
Just on my rigs it seems, like it get yet another amount of resources going to the user. It is a subjective feeling but still... :)

Anyway. Yes xorg working alright and nothing wrong with it for my level of expertise. Got this urge to seek secure,fast and private use on my computers. Hoping the choice of wayland and some selected choice off other software, will get my rigs to a higher level on those issues.

"Update on my current OS use. Still debian stretch now added backports for more up to date code.

Offline pip5528

• The Pipsqueak!!!
  • Staff Member
  • Technology nerd, audiophile, musician, gamer
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2019, 04:33:47 PM »
Welcome! Enjoy your stay! There's a lot of interesting things you will find here!
My name may be Pip, but I'm not that small!

Offline Kalthrix

• Staff Member
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2019, 07:58:29 AM »
Welcome to the community wombat50! Glad to have you with us. Like CwF, I haven't personally had a good experience with Wayland. Tons of bugs, feels too alpha to use a the moment. Not to say that it doesn't work at all, but some issues pertaining to screen tearing or this irritating stuck/flickering cursor seem to be game-breaking for me. Ended up having to fallback on X.org and haven't looked back. I'm all for Wayland becoming an option, but definitely feel like it needs a lot more work to become a viable alternative to X. Not criticizing your thoughts on it though, always cool to see new projects being developed and I wish the dev team the best with finalizing the project. :)

Offline CwF

• Elite Member
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2019, 01:29:58 PM »
Sorry to bark at you Wombat. Certainly I should welcome you first! I hope to hear some wayland success!

I am cynical.

Offline wombat50

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2019, 12:44:57 AM »
All good here. No one offended me. :)