Windows Subsystem for Linux 2 brings the Linux kernel into Windows
Welcome, Guest.
“Theory and practice sometimes clash. And when that happens, theory loses. Every single time.” ― Linus Torvalds

Author Topic: Windows Subsystem for Linux 2 brings the Linux kernel into Windows  (Read 784 times)

Offline tinkerer

• Old guy from Scotland
Beware of Greeks Bearing Gifts?  Or is Microsoft more interested in the future of their cloud-based Azure than the traditional desktop operating systems?

Windows Subsystem for Linux 2
The Windows Subsystem Linux (WSL), which lets you run Linux programs on a Windows box, has seen some serious love from Microsoft as its engineers attempt to demonstrate their commitment to open source and Linux, now by allowing techies to work the way they want rather than how the software giant would prefer.

https://www-theregister-co-uk.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/www.theregister.co.uk/AMP/2019/05/06/windows_subsystem_for_linux_terminal/
The first law of intelligent tinkering is to save all the parts.
(Aldo Leopold)

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
Hmmmm We need to let this one sit on the back burner for a while... No comment for now, LOL.
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!

Offline CwF

• Elite Member
... Or is Microsoft more interested in the future of their cloud-based Azure than the traditional desktop operating systems?

Yes.

They know what they are doing. Azure is to the desktop what Netflix is to DVD's. The desktop OS is no more significant than the firmware in a smart tv. I understand that is not entirely self evident, yet.

Offline tinkerer

• Old guy from Scotland
Yes.

They know what they are doing. Azure is to the desktop what Netflix is to DVD's. The desktop OS is no more significant than the firmware in a smart tv. I understand that is not entirely self evident, yet.

I had come to that conclusion a while back.  Especially since Microsoft seem to be more magnanimous towards Linux in recent months. For those of us who are fortunate enough to have a choice of good broadband providers and access to modern hardware, then cloud-based solutions is the way we are heading unfortunately, albeit with the additional concerns regarding security.

But for others in countries less fortunate who neither have the means or the technology to use cloud-based systems and just have basic Internet access, Linux may be the solution and this would seem to present opportunities for Linux distros to gain more downloads or provide installation media for PC desktops or laptops in those countries.

I wonder if Red Hat/IBM or Ubuntu/Canonical will step up their cloud-based applications to compete with Microsoft.

No matter what, we seem to be herded into 'moving with the times', whether we like it or not, with the big global tech companies having even more control of what we do online.

Frank
The first law of intelligent tinkering is to save all the parts.
(Aldo Leopold)