Installing XMind using Wine
Welcome, Guest.
The Chatroom is BACK! --Spatry

Author Topic: Installing XMind using Wine  (Read 275 times)

Offline tinkerer

• Old guy from Scotland
Installing XMind using Wine
« on: April 25, 2019, 02:53:47 PM »
Hi folks

I've just recently installed MX Linux. I've been using Manjaro for the past year, but I needed a more stable distro.

XMind mindmapping software (which is free) doesn't run very well on MX Linux for me. It works, but XMind can't access my Desktop folder.  Apparently they've stopped packaging the latest versions in .deb. There is a dodgy workaround and there is a version of XMind in the MX package installer flatpaks repository, but the results are very unpredictable.

But guess what?  XMind works like a dream using Wine and the 64bit Windows version! But darn it, I wanted to get away from Windows, but I have so many important notes on XMind, it's a case of needs must, etc.

I am impressed with MX Linux xfce.  Since I was using Manjaro xfce anyway, there is not much difference at all. I'll just have to get used to the apt-gets and the debs, etc. But I have used Ubuntu in the past.

Ubuntu is coming under a lot of criticism these days, some of it is possibly justified, but I'm so grateful for the early days when I first tried Linux all those years ago, dual booting Windows with Ubuntu. Even then, Ubuntu had a certain quality about it and it was a great springboard for other distros.

Frank
The first law of intelligent tinkering is to save all the parts.
(Aldo Leopold)

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
Re: Installing XMind using Wine
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2019, 04:23:02 PM »
I looked at a screenshot of XMind and I was thinking if I were to put my thoughts on it, I would have a spaghetti mess to navigate. I can envision an outcome and the steps to make it happen, I do it all the time, I guess the point I am driving at is that a new empty document would be just as effective in my case...

This is not the first time I have heard of XMind though, so hopefully someone will chime in who knows the answer to your query.
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!

Offline tinkerer

• Old guy from Scotland
Re: Installing XMind using Wine
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2019, 05:47:01 PM »
Tony Buzan was responsible for popularising mind maps. This form of notetaking is not linear but rather it radiates out and you can jump from one thread to another. The real benefit of a mind map is as a visual tool or prompt, helping to store ideas in your mind.  Mind maps are at their most powerful if you simply use coloured pens or pencils. It's a form of doodling, drawing little pictures next to a note, perhaps to emphasise a point. I have a Bic 4-colour pen that I sometimes carry around along with a small notepad.

The downside of XMind is that it has very few icons, compared to Buzan's official iMindMap software, but then again that software would set you back between £65 and £149. iMindMap is certainly beautiful. XMind is free.  There's also the excellent Simplemind for Android and IOS.

It's a case of whatever works for you.  All of us have used our own techniques to study subjects and sit exams and if these methods have served us well, why change them? It just so happens that I've been using hand drawn mindmaps for years.

Frank
The first law of intelligent tinkering is to save all the parts.
(Aldo Leopold)