GIMP - can't add text
Welcome, Guest.
The Chatroom is BACK! --Spatry

Author Topic: GIMP - can't add text  (Read 521 times)

Offline tinkerer

• Old guy from Scotland
GIMP - can't add text
« on: April 23, 2019, 01:49:37 PM »
DISTRIB_ID=ManjaroLinux
DISTRIB_RELEASE=18.0.4
DISTRIB_CODENAME=Illyria
Asus X751N 17" Laptop 8GB, 1TB, Intel Celeron N3350
NOT dual boot

Hi folks

GIMP version 2.10.10

I've been using GIMP only for image manipulation.  Today I wanted to add some text and found that when I select the Text Tool I can't draw a text box in the image, or type any text. If I do use the keyboard, the cursor changes and different tools are selected, working like keyboard shortcuts. The text editor does not work either.

Checking Google, I've tried disabling the keyboard shortcuts, made sure that the right layer has been selected, deselected Dynamic Keyboard in the preferences menu and reinstalled GIMP  - nothing worked.

Apparently this was an issue on earlier versions of GIMP on some Macs.

Any ideas guys?

Frank
« Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 03:50:27 PM by The Tinkerer »
The first law of intelligent tinkering is to save all the parts.
(Aldo Leopold)

Offline fraterchaos

• Mandelbrot Metal Mayhem!
  • Staff Member
  • Never underestimate the power of human stupidity
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2019, 09:18:25 PM »
hmm, that's a tough one...

I can think of two possible reasons, although I could be entirely off base as well

are you using a compositor like Kwin or Compiz? Compositing window managers often have their own keyboard shortcuts that can interfere with software shortcuts

or possibly, because it is a laptop, something involving a touchpad could be causing an issue, although I can't imagine why

I know that's not much help, but it's all I can think of at the moment
Science, like Nature, must also be tamed... with a view towards it's preservation. -- Rush

Offline tinkerer

• Old guy from Scotland
Re: Re: GIMP - can't add text
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2019, 03:58:14 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
hmm, that's a tough one...

I can think of two possible reasons, although I could be entirely off base as well

are you using a compositor like Kwin or Compiz? Compositing window managers often have their own keyboard shortcuts that can interfere with software shortcuts

or possibly, because it is a laptop, something involving a touchpad could be causing an issue, although I can't imagine why

I know that's not much help, but it's all I can think of at the moment

Hi

No, I'm not using a compositing WM.  I have the touchpad disabled, can't use the darn thing - so I enabled it to see if it made any difference, it did not.

One thing I did notice is that when I log in and go to type something, 'Soft key' message pops up, too quickly for my old eyes so I don't know what the full message is. But the message hasn't appeared this morning despite me restarting a few times and looking out for it.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I'll shall search further into this.  I hope I don't have to downgrade GIMP to an older version.

UPDATE:  Just discovered that NONE of the tools are working in GIMP now. GIMP was certainly working before the last Manjaro update, but it's 99% certain it's something I've done recently to cause this.  When in doubt, blame the man with the spanner.

Forever onward!

Frank
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 07:49:58 AM by The Tinkerer »
(Aldo Leopold)

Offline fraterchaos

• Staff Member
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2019, 09:44:50 PM »
well, while you are probably correct, I wouldn't rush to judgment in blaming myself... this is one of the small cons of running Manjaro, sometimes updates can break things. Hasn't been the biggest issue lately, like it used to be, but it still happens.

Like a couple weeks ago I got some major updates and Compiz-Reloaded stopped working right. It was still running, and I could call up the setting manager and stuff, but none of the effects worked at all... I tried my usual fix which is to simply reinstall all the packages manually, didn't work.

Tried downgrading protobuf package because that's the usual culprit, still no joy.

Got the last set of major updates a few days ago, tried to reload the window manager and Compiz still wasn't working, then on my next boot it was all back to normal. SO basically, just waiting for the right updates fixed the issue.

But yeah, you may want to downgrade one level with GIMP until the next time it's updated...
Science, like Nature, must also be tamed... with a view towards it's preservation. -- Rush

Offline tinkerer

• Old guy from Scotland
Re: Re: GIMP - can't add text
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2019, 02:00:43 AM »
But yeah, you may want to downgrade one level with GIMP until the next time it's updated...

The trouble is, I'm spending more and more time going backwards downgrading various programs.  Much as I love to work on problems, I do have some work to do and I need GIMP.  I was sorely tempted to install PlayOnLinux and load up my trusty old Paint Shop Pro 7, but I have tasked myself to learn GIMP, which has a lot more bells and whistles than the 19-year-old PSP7.

So last night I decided to install MX Linux, I really need a stable distro just now.  It took a while to get the hang of it, but my Ubuntu experience helped.  GIMP works brilliantly, the wireless printer installation was a cinch and my PSOL Solitaire Collection loaded as well - I had problems with that too on Manjaro and I read I had to downgrade python-pillow in order for the card game to work.

Don't get me wrong, I have issues with MX Linux already - had a helluva problem installing XMind, but it works, sort of.  Other minor issues like my backup script not staying open at the end of the run.....and I'm sure there will be other issues as I go on.  I spent the whole night setting up MX Linux but it's worth it. 

Manjaro has been my longest-serving Linux distro and I really liked it, but MX Linux will give me the stability that I need to get the work done.

Forever onward!
Frank
(Aldo Leopold)

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
Re: Re: Re: GIMP - can't add text
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2019, 06:48:04 AM »
I was sorely tempted to install PlayOnLinux and load up my trusty old Paint Shop Pro 7
What's stopping you? I still cannot wrap my head around GIMP... I use Fireworks 8 in Wine to make all of my graphics... If you are accustomed to PSP7, USE IT!
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!

Offline tinkerer

• Old guy from Scotland
Re: Re: Re: Re: GIMP - can't add text
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2019, 10:10:26 AM »
What's stopping you? I still cannot wrap my head around GIMP... I use Fireworks 8 in Wine to make all of my graphics... If you are accustomed to PSP7, USE IT!

Hi Spatry

PSP7 works fine in Wine for the most part apart from some small issues. As for GIMP, I've always been interested in trying it. On the project I'm working on just now, I have some video tutorials on GIMP which will guide me as I create a couple of graphics with 3D Text.  

I have Xara3D but it won't run under Wine, if it did I may have been persuaded to use Wine for PSP7, Xara3D and Pretty Good Solitaire (which works well in Wine), they are now the only Windows apps I would use.  I've totally weaned myself off MS Office.

As I've said before, I spent too much time in the past trying install Windows apps in Linux.  As I'm retired, I've more time on my hands to learn some new apps.

I just needed a stable Linux distro to work with. I'm impressed with MX Linux so far, although there doesn't seem to be a wide choice of apps available compared to Manjaro.

Frank

(Aldo Leopold)

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
Re: GIMP - can't add text
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2019, 04:25:42 PM »
Perhaps Blender would be to your liking for creating 3D text... it is very easy to do and there are boatloads of tutorials on youtube which will show you how =D

MX does look nice but I prefer the Arch base for its speed and yes, it huge software library.
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!

Offline fraterchaos

• Staff Member
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2019, 05:28:57 PM »
if you are going the WINE route, you can run Photoshop (at least up to version CS2) under WINE and everything mostly works. The "Browse" files function doesn't, and of course you can't update or upgrade from within Photoshop, and I have no experience at all with any of the other \related programs like After Effects and such, but PS CS2 works like a dream.
Nothing wrong with GIMP really, but it can be a lot more work learning it and using it... PS CS2 just seems to work like you would expect such a program to work... instead of having to "look up" every function and tool to see how to use it.

(not sure if they still do it, but a while back Adobe was offering older versions of their programs free to registered users (and it's free to register) which is how I happen to have a legal version of CS2 in the first place.

Offline tinkerer

• Old guy from Scotland
Re: GIMP - can't add text
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2019, 06:26:40 PM »
Yes it's annoying when software gets too complicated.  Graphic programs should be intuitive and should cause you minimal irritation.

Spatry, Blender is an amazing piece of software and I've seen some remarkable creations by very talented artists.

Paint Shop Pro 7 is nearly 20 years old. I see Corel have now got a 2019 version. PSP7 cost a lot if money when it was new in 2000. I got my copy in 2002 for £20, a genuine CD. It's been installed a few times over the years in Windows and Linux.  It also has a GIF animator.

I think I'm talking myself into installing it again.........darn!

Frank
(Aldo Leopold)