[RESOLVED] PRIME X-470 PRO - cold boot (stall) issues
Welcome, Guest.
The Chatroom is BACK! --Spatry

Author Topic: [RESOLVED] PRIME X-470 PRO - cold boot (stall) issues  (Read 210 times)

Offline swarfendor437

• Not f'd:You won't find me on facebook/social media
[RESOLVED] PRIME X-470 PRO - cold boot (stall) issues
« on: May 02, 2019, 03:39:02 PM »
Hi Guys,
Struggling to resolve this issue. After stripping everything out and slowly adding things back I still get cold boot issue - power LED light comes on for a second or so, goes out, then boots up. Not the switch as screwdriver cheat on Power Switch terminals replicated the issue before strip down of components leaving only CPU and RAM to boot to - no issue. Put new Zotac 1030 back in - no issue. Put SB Audigy RX card in and issue arose once more. Had to blacklist Intel HD Audio to get SB Audigy to play nice on all three GNU/Linux distros. PCIe Auto - gets glitch, 2x gets glitch, 4x didn't so risked Auto again - glitch back. Also during aborted boot to a fork of Debian (Makulu Lindoz 15) I got cpu warning on incorrect shutdown (Ryzen 7 1700X) and on another occasion boot error saying no mouse or keyboard present when they were! Even replaced the power supply from 550W Bronze CoolerMaster to 750 MWE CoolerMaster Gold thinking it was 7 year-old PSU issue - the new beefier PSU hasn't made a difference. Audigy RX working on all 3 systems. Windows not picking up the fact I've got a 5.1 surround speakers attached (Windows 7 64-bit)
« Last Edit: May 03, 2019, 06:10:56 PM by swarfendor437 »

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
Re: PRIME X-470 PRO - cold boot (stall) issues
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2019, 06:59:46 AM »
Are you able to get the system to boot without the SoundBlaster card? Not many people use sound cards anymore because most mother boards have decent audio already built in... Anyway, I am guessing there is a conflict with one of your installed components and when you mentioned the sound card and having to blacklist intel audio, the lightbulb came on for me....
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!

Offline CwF

• Elite Member
Re: PRIME X-470 PRO - cold boot (stall) issues
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2019, 11:20:03 AM »
Change the cmos battery!

And slow down...you have to many variables in your question!
Note that hardware failures can be very hard to decipher. For example a cap on the power line to a particular slot can show an issue only if the slot is used, or more difficult only a particular card.
You did narrow on  the most obvious, the power supply. Since it did not change the situation, the board is suspect.

Offline swarfendor437

• Not f'd:You won't find me on facebook/social media
Re: Re: PRIME X-470 PRO - cold boot (stall) issues
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2019, 03:36:04 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Are you able to get the system to boot without the SoundBlaster card? Not many people use sound cards anymore because most mother boards have decent audio already built in... Anyway, I am guessing there is a conflict with one of your installed components and when you mentioned the sound card and having to blacklist intel audio, the lightbulb came on for me....

It's an honour to get a reply from the main man! Yes the onboard sound was fine for earlier versions of Zorin, the latest however, built on Ubuntu 18.04.2 doesn't like the onboard sound and a user of Ubuntu found the same issue with same chipset on a different motherboard. I followed CwF advice and swapped the battery - I only purchased the mobo last October, but noticed on boot the date went back to 2016 so probably good that I did that. However, I made the fatal mistake of updating the BIOS from 4024 to something like 4207 which added PXE boot items for network boot which I have disabled and now it comes up with GRUB rescue and won't play nice with any installed GNU/Linux - I'm posting this on a live edition of Makulu Lindoz 15 March 2019 release. I can see Feren OS drive and Zorin drive but can't boot into same. I think I will try and reinstal Zorin as I hadn't got anything saved there. Will keep you posted. Thanks to both you and CwF for input.

Post Merge: May 03, 2019, 06:10:34 PM

Well I got it sorted in the end - for a full explanation as I can make it, please head over to here where you will see the images and save me reinventing the wheel again here.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Thanks guys for all your guidance.

[Footnote: the reason I couldn't boot into any of my GNU/Linux drives was down to the fact I had managed to disconnect SATA cable from Makulu Drive where after a recent update it took control of GRUB!]
« Last Edit: May 03, 2019, 06:12:44 PM by swarfendor437 »