anyone know a good tutorial for setting up JACK?
Welcome, Guest.
The Chatroom is BACK! --Spatry

Author Topic: anyone know a good tutorial for setting up JACK?  (Read 369 times)

Offline fraterchaos

• Mandelbrot Metal Mayhem!
  • Staff Member
  • Never underestimate the power of human stupidity
anyone know a good tutorial for setting up JACK?
« on: March 31, 2019, 07:54:30 PM »
Hey, not sure if I should put this here or under hardware, but since it's really about the software...

So, I was trying to set up JACK alongside PulseAudio so that I could play around with my electric guitar in realtime on my Manjaro box. I tried following a post (tutorial) on the Manjaro Forums, but either it's got some errors or it's out of date or something, as it did not work. For one thing it said I needed to check a file called default.pa in /etc/ but there is no such file, not in /etc, or in /etc/default.

The tutorial also told me to install  jack2 and jack2-dbus, but the system won't allow that, jack2-dbus conflicts with jack2 and it won't install jack2

When I ran JACK it didn't show any USB inputs, even with the guitar plugged in. It let me bridge it, but when I tried restarting it said Pulse wasn't started, then it said Pulse was started but not bridged, and would not let me bridge it again.

And now I've got no sound at all... Pulse shows no devices except Dummy

I tried the version of the tutorial using Cadence.

Not sure what I am doing wrong... right now I'm trying to kill them both to see if I can restart Pulse alone and get things working the way they did BEFORE Jack.

Ok, killing both Pulse and JACK let me restart Pulse alone and I have my normal set up back as it was... at least I can use audio again.

Anyway, if anyone knows a good, up to date tutorial for setting up JACK with Pulse, please leave a link, I would prefer a tutorial that is NOT in video format (kind of hard to follow a video tutorial about changing sound set ups if the changes kill your sound in the middle of the video)
Science, like Nature, must also be tamed... with a view towards it's preservation. -- Rush

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
Re: anyone know a good tutorial for setting up JACK?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2019, 08:48:41 PM »
Oh goodness... it has been so long, I do not remember... BUT if memory serves, I followed the ARCH wiki to get Jack working properly... Good Luck!
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!

Offline fraterchaos

• Staff Member
Re: Re: anyone know a good tutorial for setting up JACK?
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2019, 08:54:37 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Oh goodness... it has been so long, I do not remember... BUT if memory serves, I followed the ARCH wiki to get Jack working properly... Good Luck!

Ok, I'll have a look at that.

I just hope I can figure out how to set it up so that everything else still works. I've always had a lot of issues with Pulse, switching out inputs and outputs and then having to adjust things when moving from watching a video to doing a Skype or other video calling... I hope I don't have even more similar issues by adding JACK
Science, like Nature, must also be tamed... with a view towards it's preservation. -- Rush

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2019, 09:04:36 PM »
I used jack with pulse just fine. Remember, you only fire up Jack for the software which requires it, you are not setting it up to power audio system-wide. I only used Jack for the Rakarack guitar effects processor. One day I might just dust off Dad's guitar and hook up a mic to it, then run it through jack... make an acoustic guitar sound like it has been juiced up with an over-driven Marshall stack!

Offline fraterchaos

• Staff Member
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2019, 10:44:28 PM »
cool... make sure you get video of that

Offline Will

• Spatry's Tardis Operator
  • Contributor
  • I'll stay on one OS at some point...
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2019, 09:56:45 AM »
I was going to try this a few weeks ago with a bass guitar I bought. I didn't try much but I couldn't get it to work anyway, so I gave up. I need to try this again.
Ryzen 5 1600, 16GB(3066MHz), 500GB 850 EVO + 2x1TB Seagate, RX 580 - Windows
Thinkpad T420, Arch Deepin, 2GB RAM, i5-2520m, 32GB SSD, 500GB HDD

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2019, 10:14:41 AM »
I did some looking at the Arch wiki and it turns out that you will need to setup Jack to work with ALSA, not Pulse... As stated it has been a very long time since I used it... Dad's old guitar is not in playable shape so I will need to do something else if I want to setup a demonstration... anyway you should not have much trouble setting it up when you peruse the You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login and the You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login support page. The software you use may also have their own page for setting it up with Jack, I would imagine the procedure is similar.

Offline fraterchaos

• Staff Member
Re: Re: anyone know a good tutorial for setting up JACK?
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2019, 07:54:35 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I did some looking at the Arch wiki and it turns out that you will need to setup Jack to work with ALSA, not Pulse... As stated it has been a very long time since I used it... Dad's old guitar is not in playable shape so I will need to do something else if I want to setup a demonstration... anyway you should not have much trouble setting it up when you peruse the You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login and the You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login support page. The software you use may also have their own page for setting it up with Jack, I would imagine the procedure is similar.

The way I understand it, from both the tutorial I read on the Manjaro forums, and from the Arch Wiki, is you set it up to "bridge" through Pulse to ALSA. (If you are planning to use both) then you should have a Jack entry in the Pulse control panel. Not sure because it didn't work right for me the first time trying from the Manjaro forum post, and I have not had the chance to do it following the Arch Wiki yet.

Of course,I was using "Cadence" as the GUI front end as advised by the Forum post, (Arch Wiki also suggests this if you want to use Jack and Pulse) and not Rakarrack... so I don't know anything about that.

I'd like to be able to set it as stated in the wiki, where it runs through both Pulse and ALSA, because it seems like that would be the easiest way to switch between them. Stopping Pulse to run Jack, then stopping Jack to restart Pulse when I'm done messing about with the guitar seems like a pain. Being able to open pavucontrol and simply switch between inputs would be far easier. (Assuming, of course, the Arch Wiki isn't blowing smoke up my you-know-what)