Back on Firefox again...
Welcome, Guest.
I think Linux is a great thing in the big picture. It's a great hacker's tool and it has a lot of potential to become something more. -Jamie Zawinski

Author Topic: Back on Firefox again...  (Read 539 times)

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
Back on Firefox again...
« on: December 24, 2018, 10:14:06 PM »
Saturday during the end of Game Night, there was a discussion on web browsers. Previously, I used Waterfox, which is a legacy version of Firefox, I felt it was getting overly bloated so I moved to webkit... Vivaldi, then Chrome to Chromium.

I finally got around to giving Firefox Quantum a shot and I am quite surprised by it's performance. It seems to be very quick and it uses considerably less ram than Chrome does. I am glad I took the time to test it. Even HANGOUTS works with Quantum... so it looks like the browser does things I cannot even do in webkit, one of the most important things is using CPanel to manage this website... it does not work at all in any webkit/chrome type browser. I admit I had to do some hacks to get the browser 100% dark themed. but now that I did my tweaks, I can see why a number of people have switched to FF Quantum. IT looks like they even fixed the problem with forms and dark GTK themes... So nice to finally have my cake and eat it too... it is a shame that the best plugins for legacy FF has not been ported to the new version (downloadthem all and FireFTP) but I am sure they will eventually come back if there is enough interest.

Any thoughts from the community?
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!

Offline joejohnston3

• Super Supporter
  • Staff Member
Re: Back on Firefox again...
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2018, 12:57:34 AM »
Well, my input would be minimal as I always install Chrome with my distros as I am used to it and have everything synced. I have considered using FF and may eventually, if I can figure out how to get everything I have synced and working as I do with Chrome. 
Joe Johnston

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2018, 07:44:45 AM »
You can sync bookmarks and cookies... not passwords though... Unless you use an external password manager. Happy Christmas to you and your family, Joe =D

Offline joejohnston3

• Super Supporter
  • Staff Member
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2018, 01:06:52 PM »
Yes, the password issue is what keeps me away! Merry Christmas to you to, my friend! Hope you and the family have a great day.
Joe Johnston

Offline Kalthrix

• Staff Member
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2018, 12:07:43 AM »
I've been using Firefox Quantum for a bit now. It wasn't great when they first did the UI overhaul, however has gotten considerably better with time. Now, is my daily driver when I'm online. Even works wonders on my lower spec computers compared to the Chromium/Chromium-based alternatives. :)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2018, 07:06:54 AM »
build shadowfox-updater from the AUR to get rid of the unsightly WHITE settings pages. LOL

Offline at54tl

• Supporter!
  • Contributor
  • "Don't let any computer control You, use Linux"
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2018, 07:59:27 AM »
Hello,

I prefer Firefox for most website surfing. While Google Chrome on sites that absolutely requires it.  Yes, I used to be a fan using Netscape Navigator back when that was in use.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2018, 10:48:45 AM by at54tl »
-Luis

Offline CwF

• Elite Member
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2018, 10:46:53 AM »

I remember getting excited with Netscape 2.0! In the time of 16bit os's and 9600 bauds. I even remember the rubber cup on my 'hand-hald' computer that would mold around the classic old form of a rotary phone, like some ancient and reverse format 'earbuds'.

I'll stick with Firefox. In use my browsing vm's are still on 52.9, works fine. I have my debian busters built and working well, ready to be my next base. Those are at 62.x, and working fine. Also included is Midori 7.0, a nice addition, but 5.0 was working better for me, but at least it is moving forward.

I use a browsers with no plugs or extensions and am starting to think their role as a primary all inclusive program needs to fade away. Maybe if webkit gets good enough we won't extend a browser, but open a dedicated stand alone 'interface' for the task at hand.

Offline at54tl

• Supporter!
  • Contributor
  • "Don't let any computer control You, use Linux"
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2018, 10:52:52 AM »
Although, The first web browsers that I used was Internet Chameleon and Lynx in the terminal. This brings back some good memories!
-Luis

Offline eronis

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2018, 04:56:45 PM »
Firefox uses less ram? Really? Well... It depends on what plugins you use on both browsers but vanilla Chrome uses less memory than vanilla Firefox these days. Chrome has flash which is still essential or useful for some websites. I think Firefox is amazing but, compared to Chrome, it uses more resources (Ram, CPU, battery) and it's slower than Chrome. Don't forget, Chrome is partly designed for Chromebooks which has no more than a Celeron processor and 2GB ram. So, I think we can depend on Google on this to make Chrome light and fast more than Firefox considering Chrome now has a different scope like being an OS or an ecosystem.
The Linux philosophy is 'Laugh in the face of danger'. Oops. Wrong One. 'Do it yourself'. Yes, that's it. --Linus Torvalds

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2018, 06:08:18 PM »
There have been some comparisons showing quantum coming ahead of chrome. I have found I do not need as many plugins in FF as I did on the webkit based browsers. Sadly, you need BOTH installed... some pages do not work in chrome and some do not work in FF. cPanel does not work in chrome and that is a DEAL BREAKER... I tried to redeem a game on gog and needed chrome because the redeem link would not work in FF... GO FIGURE!

Offline eronis

Re: Re: Back on Firefox again...
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2018, 05:25:42 AM »
There have been some comparisons showing quantum coming ahead of chrome. I have found I do not need as many plugins in FF as I did on the webkit based browsers. Sadly, you need BOTH installed... some pages do not work in chrome and some do not work in FF. cPanel does not work in chrome and that is a DEAL BREAKER... I tried to redeem a game on gog and needed chrome because the redeem link would not work in FF... GO FIGURE!
That's interesting... I never had a problem like this page doesn't work on FF or Chrome. Both browsers work just fine IMO. Maybe bad plugins or extensions?
The Linux philosophy is 'Laugh in the face of danger'. Oops. Wrong One. 'Do it yourself'. Yes, that's it. --Linus Torvalds

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2018, 05:43:58 AM »
The same problems will occur whether you have plugins or not.... I tried it.

Offline Kalthrix

• Staff Member
Re: Re: Back on Firefox again...
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2018, 09:53:39 AM »
The same problems will occur whether you have plugins or not.... I tried it.

Odd, I wonder if it is related to your privacy settings in Firefox? Firefox is set to block site trackers in Private Mode by default and may be currently setup to block 3rd party cookies which will break some sites. Ran into that issue quite a few times after we upgraded to Quantum at my work.

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2018, 12:22:16 PM »
3rd party cookies are blocked... at least the way I set it up so that could be the possibility with gog... trying to get cPanel to work on chrom(ium) did not work no matter what I tried and that is ESSENTIAL... I cannot manage the backend of this website without cPanel.